Durians (Tell me about them)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durians (Tell me about them)

This thread is an offshoot from another thread. Islamic lifestyles says it's for food, so I hope this is the right category.

I've always wanted to eat one, they just looks so squishy and delicious. I heard they smell like dirty socks filled with onions. That just makes me want to try one more... lol. :D

I was thinking of keeping some seeds for the trees if I ever visited south Asia, but I heard there are so many cultivars and they all have a different flavor. Yellow, orange, red, onion, banana, socks. Which type tastes the best? What's it called? How popular is it? Which city to find it in?

:jkk: :wavey:

Re: Durians (Tell me about them)

I grew up around durian. Never ever touched em. They just looked sticky, which made me ikky
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Dirty sock filled with onion and you want to try them! Lol but why??

Comment

:wswrwb:

Talk to greeksupremo. Have you seen her usertitle? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise-seeker View Post
          Dirty sock filled with onion and you want to try them! Lol but why??
          Just look at the reactions on youtube! I really want to try a durian :D

Originally posted by MoMo. View Post
          :wswrwb:

Talk to greeksupremo. Have you seen her usertitle? lol
          :salams
          Yes, she is what made me start the thread, lol. I hope she sees it :)

Comment

durians taste like creamy foam..... they taste very good , i really liked them.

they even have durian chips , really taste good.

Comment

They make good weapons.
              والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

they taste like scrambled eggs with a little sugar mixed in
                "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

Originally posted by علي View Post
                  They make good weapons.
                  its actually fun pushing ur hands on its spikes ....

Comment

They make good weapons.
                    I was thinking more along the lines of flavor, but that is also good to know, lol

Comment

No but really, they are big, heavy, hard and spiky. I have heard of people actually dying from them falling from trees on their heads.

In terms of flavor, well I have spent time in Malaysia, quite some time, and that is the land of durian. First thing to note, they smell extremely strong, and it is not a smell considered pleasant by those not used to it. For this reason, you will indeed see signs like this in hotels:

Remember, it is a tourist country afterall.

Continuing about the smell, it is said that if you eat it, you will smell like that. However, if after you are finished, you fill the shell with water and drink from that, it will eliminate the smell. Or if you wash with water from the shell, it will eliminate the smell. That is what is said, I don't know as I have never tried it.

Regarding the taste. It's said that each one tastes different. Already in this topic you see we have sweet foam, eggs with sugar, and something about socks. I have also heard it compared to jackfruit with kerosene or turpentine. Apparently it depends on the environment it grew in, that can affect the taste. So in effect, it is something of an adventure to eat one.

Those that like it, they like it a lot. They have no end of praise for it, and that can be truly passionate. Those that dislike it, they simply don't talk about it much. As you can see my initial input was very humble. This is the more detailed answer from an onlooker who has seen and heard, but never ventured to try.
                      والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

I tasted Durian when I visited Thailand once. It has great taste.

However, I love Jackfruit more and in my ancestral house there are a bunch of them Jackfruit trees.

When the fruits ripe, the sweet smell engulfs the air for days.

Also there are delicious preparations made of chopped unripe Jackfruit flesh in South India, especially Andhra. Just had some few days back thanks to my mother in law who brought some back from village :)
                        Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Durians! :inlove:

You either love it or hate it! I grew up eating durians, and I absolutely love them. I even enjoy opening them, which is a burden to some ;)

Durian is a rather strange fruit I have to say. The smell is very strong, hence the banning of the fruit in certain places. Most hotels won't allow durian inside. The after smell of eating durian is even worse, especially if you burp :rotfl: The flesh has a thick, custard-like consistency, and some of them taste creamy, bitter, rich, sweet, even milky. The flavours, colours and the fragrant vary, depends on the types of durian.

As for the species, the locals here call them with really weird and funny names lol. Bought some Thailand durian not long ago, the flesh was thick and super yummy, but the smell was not as strong as Malaysian durians. I've probably tried all types of durian, except for one which is the red durian (named after its deep red/maroon coloured flesh). They can be found in Malaysian Borneo.

As for growing the tree, they do well in tropical weather, not sure about other places though. Growing the tree using the seed takes ages, it's best if you can get a young tree instead (pruned/trained by removing vertical laterals or branches). And you need a quite a spacious area to grow the tree, as they're really tall, and I'm sure you don't want to live in fear of having the fruits fall anywhere near you. My grandfather has some durian trees, it's scary walking by the tree when it's in season.

Anyway, here are some types of durian, check out this pic Click image for larger version

Name:	duriaaaaan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	10737073
                          Last edited by geeksupremo; 30-01-13, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
                            I grew up around durian. Never ever touched em. They just looked sticky, which made me ikky
                            You're missing out on a lot!

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                            durians taste like creamy foam..... they taste very good , i really liked them.

they even have durian chips , really taste good.
                            Durian ice cream, durian cake, durian crepe, durian doughnut, durian sweet porridge... Oooohh they all taste good!

They make good weapons.
                            They do make good weapons :rotfl:

Comment

Originally posted by geeksupremo View Post

Durians! :inlove:

You either love it or hate it! I grew up eating durians, and I absolutely love them. I even enjoy opening them, which is a burden to some ;)

Durian is a rather strange fruit I have to say. The smell is very strong, hence the banning of the fruit in certain places. Most hotels won't allow durian inside. The after smell of eating durian is even worse, especially if you burp :rotfl: The flesh has a thick, custard-like consistency, and some of them taste creamy, bitter, rich, sweet, even milky. The flavours, colours and the fragrant vary, depends on the types of durian.

As for the species, the locals here call them with really weird and funny names lol. Bought some Thailand durian not long ago, the flesh was thick and super yummy, but the smell was not as strong as Malaysian durians. I've probably tried all types of durian, except for one which is the red durian (named after its deep red/maroon coloured flesh). They can be found in Malaysian Borneo.

As for growing the tree, they do well in tropical weather, not sure about other places though. Growing the tree using the seed takes ages, it's best if you can get a young tree instead (pruned/trained by removing vertical laterals or branches). And you need a quite a spacious area to grow the tree, as they're really tall, and I'm sure you don't want to live in fear of having the fruits fall anywhere near you. My grandfather has some durian trees, it's scary walking by the tree when it's in season.

Anyway, here are some types of durian, check out this pic [ATTACH=CONFIG]53971[/ATTACH]
                              Try a red one and tell me how it tastes.. lol :D

I collect tropical and rare plants, so it's no problem just ordering a seed. We don't have young trees for durian here, even though it's a tropical climate, and I doubt they would have the different cultivars.

Which type tastes the best to you? :D

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X