About female hair loss and the use of hair extensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About female hair loss and the use of hair extensions

I have a problem and would like to get some islamic views on this.
    So the thing is, i have been sick for a few years and been starting to loose my hair. Since im a woman this is pretty hard to deal with. I do not wish to cut my hair short, that would make me feel pretty bad and not feminine at all.

So here's my question, what is the islamic view on wearing some kind of hair extensions just to look more normal..and so i do not have to cut my hair short? My hair is very thin and i look vey sick because of this...

Re: About female hair loss and the use of hair extensions

Most hair extensions are made of human hair, so unfortunately they arent allowed.
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Mohammed2 View Post
      I have a problem and would like to get some islamic views on this.
      So the thing is, i have been sick for a few years and been starting to loose my hair. Since im a woman this is pretty hard to deal with. I do not wish to cut my hair short, that would make me feel pretty bad and not feminine at all.

So here's my question, what is the islamic view on wearing some kind of hair extensions just to look more normal..and so i do not have to cut my hair short? My hair is very thin and i look vey sick because of this...
      :salams

sis first of all May Allah azzawajjal grant you shifa and restore all your hair back and give you even more hair on your head ameen :)

from what i have learnt, you cant use extensions (there may be exceptions due to health reasons i guess i dunno)
      i got alopecia areata, so i have lots of uneven patches of hair missing on my head (so you just see smooth shiny scalp lol in random places all over my head alhamdulillah! im such a g :) i dont use nothing to cover it up, obvs if im out im covered anyway, but at home, or whatever, it dont matter, i dont care, my family love me as i am alhamdulillah
      i just accept it as it is, its really hard, i know, i tend to deal with it internally and with Alllah azzawajjal, it wasnt always like that though, id cry often. No more though alhamdulillah :) Be strong sis, make sure you do all your salah including sunnah the more the better :) also the bonus of salah is sujood, from a science point of view, it gets blood rushin to the scalp, which is good for hair stimulations, and whislt your there you can be making dua too as dua in sujood is one of the times to make dua and is accepted (in three ways) alhamdulillah (so i have been tuaght) concentrate on your health, eat all the right things, feed your body with goodness, do some exercise, keep your mind occupied on good things and stay happy in shaa Allah and most importantly, we may not like a thing that is bad for us but we dont know that in fact that thing is good for us, trust Allah azzawajjal, He is our best friend in life :) May Allah azzawajjal make things easy on you sis ameen

edit: having layers in hair gives the look of some volume
      Last edited by Slave4akhirah; 12-01-13, 10:44 PM.

Comment

^ Good advice

Sis, have you tried going to the gym? It helps the hair come back to its normal strength..
        Iron tablets and multi-vitamins are good suppliments.
        I know it is hard even my hair is thinning and falling off. I do not see anything wrong with hair loss as long as you are performing the 5 daily prayers and not commiting any sins then that is more important. In regards to hair extension it is not allowed, I think. Look after your health and do not worry about fitting into society. You are fine as you are. I hope you feel better soon inshaAllah.
        "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

Hair extension is forbidden.

Check this link : http://islamqa.info/en/ref/1186/hair%20extesion
          "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

I have some alopecia in my family (quite severe), they dealt with it by covering it up or leaving it as it is.

After marriage, one of my relatives got some hair extensions (synthetic - made of plastic) to cover up the problem in front of her husband.

The below is what I have learnt about the issue.

Conditions and Differences:

1. The scholars agree that if the extensions or wig is made from human hair then they are not permissible to wear.

2. If the hair comes from non-human sources [ pure animal] then the scholars differed over the permissibility of wearing such things :

The Hanafi’s considered it permissible as related on behalf of Abu Yusuf
            The Maliki’s considered it forbidden
            The Shafi’s allowed it but only for a woman’s husband
            The Hanabalis took the same opinion as the Malikis except there is another statement, attributed to them, that considers it disliked
            3. If the source of the hair is impure then the scholars agreed that it is forbidden

4. If the hair is synthetic then the scholars considered it permissible, and if a woman is married, it should be done after seeking her husband’s council as long as the goal is beautification, ease of lifestyle; not trickery or false identification. This is because the reason behind this prohibition is forgery and trickery. [Ahkam al-Sh'ar fil al-Islam Taha Muhammad Faris pg(s) 180-181. al-Fiqh al-Islami wa al-Dilatuhu, Dr. Wahba Zuhali vol. 4 pg. 2681. Contemporary Religious Rulings, Dr. Yusuf al-Qaradawi vol. 3. 427]
            https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

According to a December 15, 2002 article by David A. Nelsen, Jr. M.D., M.S. entitled “Gluten-Sensitive Enteropathy (Celiac Disease): More Common Than You Think,” alopecia areata is a possible symptom of celiac disease due to a possible immunological attack on hair follicles. Some people can have celiac disease without any known symptoms. According to the above December 2002 study, others may have one or more symptoms, including, but not limited to:

fatigue and/or weight loss
              abdominal pain, cramps, and/or gas
              anemia
              bone pain
              mouth sores
              low blood sugar
              infertility
              male impotence
              seizures

Read more at Suite101: Can a Gluten-Free Diet Reverse Hair Loss? | Suite101 http://suite101.com/article/can-a-gluten-free-diet-reverse-hair-loss-a185085#ixzz2HgcOgYfZ
              Follow us: @suite101 on Twitter | Suite101 on Facebook
              try talking to your physician about going on a gluten free diet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony View Post
                Most hair extensions are made of human hair, so unfortunately they arent allowed.
                not true, a lot of them are made of synthetic hair

hair extensions if you have them sewn in will eventually lose your hair anyways, its not good, just search celebs who wear them, they r going bald

clips ins wont have the same effect. they see safer but then depends if islam allows it. im sure around your girl pals you can wear em no?
                My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
                ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
                “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
                  not true, a lot of them are made of synthetic hair

hair extensions if you have them sewn in will eventually lose your hair anyways, its not good, just search celebs who wear them, they r going bald

no?
                  That's true. I've heard real hair extensions made of human hair is super expensive. All the extensions I've ever seen is synthetic and made out if plastic.
                  https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

You'd be surprised, most extensions (especially the clip in type) these days dont cost that much and are, supposedly, made of human hair.

http://www.foxyhairextensions.net/cl...sions-61-c.asp being an example
                    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

First of all please do speak to a reliable credible Scholar or student of knowledge who can advise you if you can use hair extensions. Everyone banters on about haram when it comes to cosmetic surgery; false hair etc but I think it would be best if you explained why you want hair extensions to a learned person and see what response you get.The Scholar may look at your situation and say it is permissible for you to have hair extensions. But the fatwa would be specific to your situation only.

In the meantime, perhaps you might want to consider this, which can be removed by water:

http://www.supermillionhair.co.uk

(I wouldnt advocate men using this because it is giving other people false impression that you have hair, baldness is natural in men anyway. For women its a different story entirely).
                      Last edited by Starship; 13-01-13, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies :)

I have thought about it a little bit more and decided to try and accept whats happening to my hair. Im pretty sure this is happening due to the medicines im taking, so unfortunatly there is nothing in my diet or so that i could change.

However, it might become harder to accept if i lose much more hair, and i might take the above advice from Starship here and try to seek advice from a scholar. If it in no way would be halal, then i will try my best to accept it :)

Comment

Some people use some powder eye shadow to find balding spots in hair. For example if your hair is black, you can use a sponge tip applicator to apply some black powder eye shadow to the bald spot. Just blot it a little to make sure you dont end up with black powder smudges on your forehead. I also think using biotin and iron supplements may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Mohammed2 View Post
                            Thank you all for your replies :)

I have thought about it a little bit more and decided to try and accept whats happening to my hair. Im pretty sure this is happening due to the medicines im taking, so unfortunatly there is nothing in my diet or so that i could change.

However, it might become harder to accept if i lose much more hair, and i might take the above advice from Starship here and try to seek advice from a scholar. If it in no way would be halal, then i will try my best to accept it :)
                            Hi sis, I'm really sorry to hear this
                            I don't know what condition you have, but have you looked at different options you could take to improve your hair growth naturally?
                            Folic acid is good & biotin, a lot of women use them for that purpose, do a little research, on youtube etc. The results are amazing.
                            I've taken biotin and I has visible hair growth in a couple months

Look into Mane & tail shampoo, also.
                            Sorry if your condition means those things won't work
                            Also consult your doctor if you are planning on taking those supplements as you're already on medication
                            :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
                              That's true. I've heard real hair extensions made of human hair is super expensive. All the extensions I've ever seen is synthetic and made out if plastic.
                              They are! depending on which county they are coming from. Brazilian prices are sky high, they have all sorts these days such as European, Indonesian etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X