Christian Holidays: How to we deal with them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Holidays: How to we deal with them

Here in America a Muslim child, such as my son Jibreel, face numerous Christian Holidays during the school year.

Christmas is not so bad as it does recognise Mary's(PBUH) immaculant conception and the birth of Jesus(PBUH). I do not know about other countries, but American Christian society has glamorised and made the holiday a capatilist day, and that part I can not allow my son to participate in. Brothers have told me to just get my son gifts, and to explain to him what is going on with Christmas, but he is only 4 years old, and does not really understand. Being my first time exposed to this it was hard dealing with him to get him to understand, but so far so good in success, and I imagine i will become easier as he grows.

Now Easter is coming up and he is Asking about Rabbits and Easter Egg Hunts...As a Muslim I canot accept this holiday, as it represents something that did not occur, and was corrected by Allah through Koran...I feel like I must just pull him from school during this time...what I was wondering is what do you brothers and sisters do when dealing with these issues?
    Please Re-update your Signature

Interesting questions.

I think its easier to get your kids away from that stuff in the UK as its more secular here than the US.

I wouldn't get your son gifts at Christmas...I think it'll send him contradictory messages. Also, we as Muslims can't celebrate the birthday of Muhammed (pbuh) so I think the same would apply to the birthday of Jesus (pbub), even though he probably wasn't even born in December (June I think).

However, maybe in the long run you can consider sending him to a Muslim school so he doesn't have to deal with any of that. But maybe that's difficult for you if you live somewhere far off...

I hope Allah (swt) guides your family through these troubles.

Comment

Use the opportunity of his questions and curiosity to teach him about his own Faith.

And without imitating another's religious/cultural traditions, try to incorporate Islamic traditions in his life using your own creativity.

During Ramadan I found this article in a local parent's magazine:

http://ummah.com/forum/showthread.ph...hlight=ramadan

There were several good examples of what I mean in it.

Comment

Cool..thanks

Comment

Wow excellent articel..just fantastic, and it has given me a good way at how to deal with it..

Comment

How do you deal with; Presidents day, Labor day, MLK day, Jewish holidays, Thanksgiving...... Learning about other cultures and beliefs is a good thing. You can learn about things without embracing them

Comment

Working...
            X