Alternative to gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to gym

I have disgustingly crossed over from overweight to obese in last few months. Darn holiday season and all these sugary free food in lunchroom & lack of exercise.

I use to be a regular gym goer (3-4 times a week) at a small pink & purple women only gym. I enjoyed going there because of the environment. However, after 3 years of being stuck at same weight I figure a change might be good for me. I had my university gym available to me & I lost more weight the first few months away from gym without doing anything. I was also planning on focusing on diet and working out at home for a change.

A year later, I am 8lb heavier & those attempts at working out in home & DVD were not successful. Nor were my attempts at dieting without workout. I am very environment driven person & enjoy group activity. I decided I need to go back to gym because working out is the foundation for diet and healthy life for me.

Unfortunately, my beautiful feminine gym (Fitzone for women) has gone out of business :( near my location. The other women only gym (Curve, which I am not big fan of because it is dark and ugly) has closed their doors in my location as well. Yesterday I checked out another gym which had alternative days for men and women only (Fitness USA) and found out not only does it look ugly (very industrial), they have become coed in cardio area. I can’t think of any other gym that is women only & is on my route. My university gym is still an option but parking is a pain in neck which reduces my motivation to attend.

I know I failed at working in home and I failed at dieting alone. What are some other options? Few I came up with but need to try first to see how they will be:

1) Classes at yoga studio. Typically these are women only but no guarantee. Very expensive: 2 classes are equal to 1 month gym membership.
    2) Force myself to attend gym in my university 
    3) Look at dance/Pilate/spin class in local community college? Isn’t that bit silly? Again no guarantee it is women only but typically fitness class are mostly women
    ????????????????? anything else?????????????

I am so frustrated, more women only gym needs to open

Re: Alternative to gym

:salams

Since you like doing group activity, why not invite some friends to join you? You won't need a gym for that, you can come up with your own workout plans then do it together, or maybe a netball match, running together in the park, badminton, etc.

Surround yourself with encouragement :)

Comment

Fitness videos are the next best thing
      You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

why dose it matter if its ugly...
        but i would say get some work out dvds and do it at home, it will work i did it

Comment

Can you maybe get a jogging buddy and go running together?

My gym is coed but there's a lady that comes regularly in a headscarf and baggy clothes to my Zumba class.

But you are correct that exercise alone will not help you...girl...it's time for tough love dieting. Cut out all carbs. Seriously. All carbs for two weeks. Then only have a little in the morning. It's tough but it does work, it shaved a few pounds off me and to be honest, I didn't have much to lose to begin with. So I can't imagine that it won't work on an overweight person.

Comment

Yoga won't burn enough calories.

Control your calories, especially calories from carbs. If you are not exercising, you don't need (alot of) carbs. Stick with veg like brocolli or green beans and try getting in some good lean protein like chicken breast or lean steak.

Losing fat is SO BORING! On days I have a calorie deficit and no carbs, I have brocolli instead of rice, and I am sick of it!
            Last edited by -MA-; 14-12-12, 09:35 PM.
            SPREAD OF EVIL
            ZIONISM
            BOLLYWOOD

Comment

Originally posted by n_n_n View Post

But you are correct that exercise alone will not help you...girl...it's time for tough love dieting. Cut out all carbs. Seriously. All carbs for two weeks. Then only have a little in the morning. It's tough but it does work, it shaved a few pounds off me and to be honest, I didn't have much to lose to begin with. So I can't imagine that it won't work on an overweight person.
              I have to agree. You can lose a lot of weight by simply making some dietary changes. Although it might take some time to notice depending on whether or not you work out regularly.

I have gluten intolerance, and I lost weight due to switching to a gluten free diet.
              Don't do it at once though. Reduce the amount of carbs you eat gradually, because you can start having gluten withdrawal symptoms. Talk to a dietician about it, if you can.

Of course eating smaller portions, and snacking more often can help your metabolism.
              Don't drink sodas ever, cut them out entirely along with diet coke because all of that can make you insulin resistant and make you gain more weight in the long run.

I really don't have any tips on working out. Maybe you should talk to a gym instructor about that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ceeri_sista View Post
                I have to agree. You can lose a lot of weight by simply making some dietary changes. Although it might take some time to notice depending on whether or not you work out regularly.
                Couldn't agree more.

I used to workout a lot back in the days but I didn't watch my diet, and tbh I didn't see much changes at that time, though my goal isn't primarily to lose weight, just for strength and aesthetic reasons.

I find it easier to watch what I eat when I keep my fridge/food storage with food that are 'clean' and full with nutritional values. Watch the portion of your meal and create a calorie deficit. You can also start a food journal and keep track of the food that you eat. Cut out junk food as well, they're packed with sugar and salt and don't do any good to your body. Drink lots of plain water. Look up on healthy recipes over the internet, healthy food doesn't necessarily have to be tasteless and boring.

One more thing, healthy eating is not just a phase, you'd want to stick to it as long as possible. So make sure you come up with a realistic dieting plan. I never truly forbid myself from eating food that I like, I just have them sparingly. If I'm craving for something, I'll surely have them, but not until I get full, just a few bites to satisfy my craving. I usually eat whatever that is healthy first until I'm almost full, that way when I indulge I won't go overboard.

If it's possible let your family members and close friends know that you're watching what you eat, that way they're not going to lure you with food you're not supposed to eat. This has been my biggest problem so far, I don't get encouragement from the people around me and my mum is an amazing cook so it's really hard to not eat her food. -_-

Comment

Have you visited your doctor recently? Perhaps they can advice you further.
                  I have the opposite problem. I feel like my weight is going from normal weight to underweight.I can pass as a guy sometimes lol.
                  Your uni gym sounds good could you not find another way of getting there instead of driving
                  Last edited by Green786; 15-12-12, 03:49 AM.
                  "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

HIIT exercises are probably the best for loosing weight.

HIIT is high indensity interval training.

They don't take a lot of time but they hurt and they work.

A good example is tabata, developed in Japan, it consists of 8 x 20 second exercises with 10 seconds rest in between each one.

http://tabatatraining.org/?p=18

http://tabatatraining.org/

So if you do 2 or 3 of these 4 or 5 days a week you will get a suburb workout and burn fat for a long time after you have finished exercising.

It is good to develop a long term diet (by reducing or cutting out or substituting the 'bad' foods, going 'brown' on rice, bread and pasta, and loads of fruit and veg) rather than a short term weight loss diet, which is usually followed by an increase of weight when finished.

I think trying dance/zumba classes might be a good idea, fun and variety keeps us interested in exercise.

Do a 'stock take' of how active you are during the day, then try and work in a bit more activity, walk to shops/work/uni etc rather than drive; stair rather than lift/elevator; if you are sedentary during work/study then a quick short walk during lunch break and simple small adjustments can make a big difference.

And if you can get a friend to do some of this stuff so much the better.
                    Last edited by abubakarbristol; 15-12-12, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Wing Chun or Muay Thai.
                      Keeps you trimmed an gives you abilty to kick some serious a**.
                      There is rest only in the aakhira.
                      Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
                      and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
                      then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
                      That's right, a nude dog.
                      The Deepweb is disgusting.
                      - Unknown -

Links
                      The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
                      Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

This year was my experimental year after being stuck at same weight, which wasn’t too bad, for past 4 years. Some methods I lost weight only to gain soon after. Nothing was long lasting. I have tried:

1) Personal trainer: once a week in Jan 2012. I was given a routine that involved hard cardio 4 days/week & weight lifting with the trainer 1 day. The first week I lost 2 lb, after that I lost 1lb only. All together only 3-4 lb in a month after I exhausted all my energy at gym nearly every day. I went straight to bed after gym & had no social life with family or friends because I was too tired. I deemed this as a fail attempt because it was not sustainable. This is not the life I wanted where I invest much of my post work energy into gym. My parents were getting worried about me. So I did not add any more session with the trainer. Consequently by the end of Feb, I gained the 3lb back + more .

2) DVD: Jillian Michael 30 day shred. I found a small room in my house that I can lock up and do the workout. I was super excited, its only 30 min & in my walk in closet. Did the workout 6days first week & felt great + saw results. Week 2 went well but knee started hurting bit but I continued saw good result. Week 3, knees are killing me to the point it was hard to pray. I knew it was the DVD. So put it on hold until knee got better. Took another 3 weeks to fully recover. I picked back up for few days but stopped because others in the family need laptop I was using plus worried about knee. I deem this as fail attempt

3) Using Gym in my university. The gym is awesome and back during my undergrad years I lost 20lb in that very gym. Now I am part time student and only attend campus few min before my class. I figure if I try harder, I can attend campus more often & attend gym. Unfortunately my motivation was not high enough to go out of my way to univ & after receiving few parking ticket, I was even demotivated. I still attended few times a week but not enough to make changes to my weight

4) High Protein low carb diet. I was getting irritated at my weight. I realize once I am married and have family of my own, I can’t spent hours at gym then feel exhausted(my own parents don’t even tolerate that now, imagine inlaws). I wanted to get away from my reliance on gym and work on diet for a change. Got myself large container of protein shake, cottage cheese..etc. Ate meat and vegy with protein shake, went to bed early so I didn’t have to eat dinner, sprinkles of rice on meal. It was great and I lost more weight 6lb in a month than I did with personal trainer. This was great. Then my sister in law from back home came & cooked all day and felt obligated to drag me to dinner table & took it personally when I skipped her cooked rice & curry to drink a glass of protein shake. I felt bad too and gave in & sat with the family to eat dinner/lunch/breakfast. Now I am off.

Need to get back soon

Comment

Stop wasting your money. Get a set of dumbbells, in you case very light, and a bench weight train 3 times a week and do HIIT cardio for 20 mins on the three off days. After that all you need to do is eat 3 meals a day, drink 1 liter of skim milk and eat lots of fruits. If you want, I can post a full body workout that will help you put on some muscle and burn fat.

Comment

I'm a brother, but I simply exercise at home. When I have a prayer at home, I'll pray, then do some situps, pushups, and some other stuff right after.

As a sister, you can do this much more because you're probably home a lot more! Honestly, you just need to do a few basic things several times regularly. It's not hard, people just want results very fast.
                            If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
                            There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

Originally posted by al-siddiq View Post
                              I'm a brother, but I simply exercise at home. When I have a prayer at home, I'll pray, then do some situps, pushups, and some other stuff right after.

As a sister, you can do this much more because you're probably home a lot more! Honestly, you just need to do a few basic things several times regularly. It's not hard, people just want results very fast.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X