College help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College help...

I know this isn't the right place for asking this but its worth a shot. So im in America almost graduating from high school (12th grade)(Atlanta,Georgia) and Im planning on becoming a doctor (or at least getting the degree Md) well over here (In the US, it's generally) Correct me if im wrong
    1) 4 year college degree (needn't be a science major, but must take required science courses).
    2) 4 years medical school (occasionally 3)
    3) 1 year of post-graduate training (formerly called internship) which makes you eligible to get a license to practice medicine and a DEA number in most states (this is what lets you prescribe outside of a hospital setting).
    4) 2 to 6+ years of residency training.
    5) if your residency training was accredited, and if you've now done the necessary clinical work, you may be able to sit for the board exam of your specialty. If you pass, then you are "Board Certified" by your specialty board. Some boards are pickier than others.
    6) Now you look for a job. If you find one, next you try to get on staff at the hospitals nearby. Your medical license will say that you are licensed to practice medicine and surgery. But if you didn't pick up the credentials to do Neurosurgery during your training, don't expect a hospital to grant you privileges to do so in their OR.

But in Pakistan I can Get an mbbs degree in 5 years (Less time) but then I need to get a residency to work in the Usa.......should I go to Pakistan and come back or stay?

Re: College help...

Stay.

In Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
      Stay.

In Pakistan.
      Why?

Comment

My cousin did med school in Pakistan and she is currently doing her residency in America. You'll have a lot of hoops to jump through and be second choice in the US to US graduates, you also may not get your choice of residency as most residencies don't accept international students of medicine. On the other hand you'll have a lot less student debt and you can always practice elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Musicisme656 View Post
          Why?
          We need doctors.

Comment

We need doctors.
            real doctors should be concerned about helping people, not thinking about how fat a salary they will get.
            Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Comment

Originally posted by deen1984 View Post
              real doctors should be concerned about helping people, not thinking about how fat a salary they will get.
              Well I dont actually wanna be a doctor, I just want the degree. After I get the degree im gonna go into business, but who knows, I might get inspired to be a doctor....

Comment

I am not too familiar with MD or MBBS program. But i have few friends who did MD and below is my comment on your timeline. Also I thought MBBS is a 6 year program. IN the end you are looking at same time line & same amount of work. I don't think it will make much difference if you go to Pakistan or stay here. Also the study method in East is very different from USA & the few kids I know who went back trying to study came back to USA because it is just too different

Correct me if im wrong
                1) 4 year college degree (needn't be a science major, but must take required science courses).
                2) 4 years medical school (occasionally 3). your clinical/intership is included in this 4 years. It is 2 years of classroom study, at the end you take Step 1 test. Then you apply to various hospitals for clincal program where you work in different department every few months. You are a student here, mostly on observation duty. You take exams in the hospital & have study materials. At the end you take your Board exam. Most of my friends took a year off after clinical to study for board & to enjoy life before starting residency. Passing board exam gives you the MD certificate at this point however you are not allowed to practice medicine but you have the degree. At this point you can add MD at the end of your name
                3) See #2 comment
                4) 2 to 6+ years of residency training. Typically 3 years
                5) if your residency training was accredited, and if you've now done the necessary clinical work, you may be able to sit for the board exam of your specialty. If you pass, then you are "Board Certified" by your specialty board. Some boards are pickier than others.
                6) Now you look for a job. If you find one, next you try to get on staff at the hospitals nearby. Your medical license will say that you are licensed to practice medicine and surgery. But if you didn't pick up the credentials to do Neurosurgery during your training, don't expect a hospital to grant you privileges to do so in their OR.

But in Pakistan I can Get an mbbs degree in 5 years (Less time) but then I need to get a residency to work in the Usa.......should I go to Pakistan and come back or stay?

Comment

Well I dont actually wanna be a doctor, I just want the degree. After I get the degree im gonna go into business, but who knows, I might get inspired to be a doctor....
                  How or why would you become a doctor only to go into business... surely a degree in a related field would be better suited?

Comment

How or why would you become a doctor only to go into business... surely a degree in a related field would be better suited?
                    Because if my business doesnt work well I can do other medical related jobs. A business degree isnt that helpfull in the job market.

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                      I am not too familiar with MD or MBBS program. But i have few friends who did MD and below is my comment on your timeline. Also I thought MBBS is a 6 year program. IN the end you are looking at same time line & same amount of work. I don't think it will make much difference if you go to Pakistan or stay here. Also the study method in East is very different from USA & the few kids I know who went back trying to study came back to USA because it is just too different
                      But its cheaper in Pakistan and better religion wise to got to Pakistan.

Comment

Because if my business doesnt work well I can do other medical related jobs. A business degree isnt that helpfull in the job market.
                        You're choosing to become a doctor as a back-up plan? I'd have gone for something a little simpler, like carpentry.

Comment

You're choosing to become a doctor as a back-up plan? I'd have gone for something a little simpler, like carpentry.
                          Lol... Guess I just proved im asian....but the real reason that being a doctor is my back up plan is because either way I want to be rich as ...well...rich enough to buy a $500,000 exotic sports car for, my dad, and wife....

Comment

Doctors are miserable and the car won't fool anyone.

Comment

Lol... Guess I just proved im asian....but the real reason that being a doctor is my back up plan is because either way I want to be rich as ...well...rich enough to buy a $500,000 exotic sports car for, my dad, and wife....
                              wow./...
                              My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X