X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Muslims

:salams

I need your help.

What helped you learn the basics? Like Qur'an reading and salaah etc? If you had a helper, a friend, someone to guide you along the way, what did they do to help you the most?

I'm a born Muslim, I was taught all the basics as a kid, alhamdulillah.

Tell me how I can help my new Muslim friend learn salaah/Qur'an etc.. She didn't choose me, I was paired up with her, now I want to be the best for her. I really do.

:jkk:
    Last edited by Hamnah; 24-11-12, 08:00 PM.
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Re: New Muslims

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post

I need your help.

What helped you learn the basics? Like Qur'an reading and salaah etc? If you had a helper, a friend, someone to guide you along the way, what did they do to help you the most?

I'm a born Muslim, I was taught all the basics as a kid, alhamdulillah.

Tell me how I can help my new Muslim friend learn salaah/Qur'an etc.. She didn't choose me, I was paired up with her, now I want to be the best for her. I really do.

:jkk:
    Walaikum assalaam!
    I find the most helpful thing was keeping a journal. Writing down the things I needed to remember made it so much easier for me to do. I bought a plain sketchbook that was small enough to carry around, and I spent time writing down my favourite quotes from lectures, or steps to salaat or what to say after prayer.
    I made it as much a part of me as it could be.
    I also found some reputable blogs to follow with good Islamic content. While I haven't been very active in any physical masjid, I feel a part of the community because I found a group of people online that made me feel welcome and valued.

Also, using that notebook to write down goals is so important. Have her write down her goals, on how much Qur'an she's like to know a year from now... How is her hijab going to progress? What kind of life does he imagine for herself years from now? What attracted her to Islam (so she can go back and read this when things get tough).

Make sure not to pressure her. It's easy for converts to feel overwhelmed and enthusiastic to learn everything in a month, but that's not the kind of knowledge that sticks. Let her take her time, and if she's uncomfortable doing something, that's okay. She needs to spend time praying for her heart to be softened to whatever it is (hijab, sunnah prayers, going to the masjid).

Good luck!

Comment

my best friend converted last year, and the best thing was helping with surahtul faitah and helping with basic fiqh and not to over load the person with so much information give it in small bits.

You can teach her the basics of wudhu, make a salah time table for her etc.
      ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
      Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

Ablution basic, salaah basic, Qur'an Arabic basic (alif, ba, ta, etc) are ways to go :)

In fact, for every new muslims, they must able to handle both first. Especially keeping salaah on time, above all. Not even many born muslims do or keep their salaah properly. And for any new muslims, this alone can be quite a shock that you have to do such thing 5 times a day, incl wake up at dawn.

Other can follows. But in the mean time, I feel that these 3 are the survival basic.

My experience : when I was a new muslim, I joined a 1-month quick madrassa program. There I learned the basic fiqhs, tajweed, tahseen, and madhabs. But I'm just lucky enough as I live in a muslim majority country. But still, as for memorizing salaah recitations, I drew a big poster and wrote all the recitations there. So when I did salaah I just read them until I memorized it in my head. :D
        :GB_bonesrock:
        And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Assalamulakim,

I had a friend who helped me with videos and transliteration of the salaah. It was very, very overwhelming at first. Just knowing if I was doing wudu correctly, or if I had to do it took a while. I had a looseleaf book for a few weeks. But what helped me the mos was New Muslim Academy http://newmuslimacademy.org/ . They have lectures on video, readings and live sessions with Scholars which I found to be most beneficial. It is a month long. Also a friend gave me this to read, The Sealed Nectar http://www.islamhouse.com/p/51776 which gave a history of the Prophet Mohammad's (PBUH) life. I have not completed it yet, but I felt one of my challenges was trying to understand the history. I knew Christian History, but I really did not know anything about Islamic History. It was very, helpful. I am also taking courses on the Fundamental's of Islam, free courses at Islamic Online University. http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/

I have a lot of free time *smiles. And this may be quite alot. So if I make a suggestion, it would be to go to New Muslim Academy as there are people to answer questions and they explain quite a bit. Read some Islamic History, then do Islamic Online University or a course that interests her. Do her prayers and read the Quran. Most of all, try to take it slow and easy and do not get stressed like I did. I am much more calm about it now. But yes, it is overwhelming at first. If there is a Mosque near her, that is great and she can go and learn there. I do not have one near me, thus so much online references.
          By time, Indeed, mankind is in lose, Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. (Qur'an: 103-1-3)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X