Breastfeeding and modesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: disgusting slob

i dont think your really getting his point are you.

Muslims are very particular aournd modesty. You must understand that by now, and having someones bare breasts on dispaly whether this is erotic or not, is qutie embarassing.
    Our children are brought up from a young age to mind their modesty so they see their mothers covering up, they dont see nudity like this in the home.

I grew up with 4 sisters and i would never expose myself in front of them in such a manner.

call us prudish but thats how it is.

So, if a 5 yr old muslim boy saw this, it would be more embarassing then if a non-muslim boy saw it because the non- muslim boy might have experience of being on a beach where they go topless sunning or whatever. (or he might not have - trying not to generalise)

So, at this point i'm not even saying - this is wrong/ this is right - i'm just talking about how we would perceive something (muslims)

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

I think you might be right. I saw the issue more in terms of modesty in relation to not allowing men to have bad thoughts.

What you are describing, is a more general body privacy issue.

It leaves me wondering how you manage in hospitals. It's embarrassing enough for me to have a nurse put something where I would rather not have it.

I can't imagine how that must be for someone how is unable to breast feed in front of her female family members.

Comment

Originally posted by iwasjimmyjimmy View Post
        I think you might be right. I saw the issue more in terms of modesty in relation to not allowing men to have bad thoughts.

It leaves me wondering how you manage in hospitals. It's embarrassing enough for me to have a nurse put something where I would rather not have it.

I can't imagine how that must be for someone how is unable to breast feed in front of her female family members.
        most muslim women just drape a shawl over themselves.
        But not to say that all muslim women are shy around nudeness waist upwards. Women of my moms generation bizarrely enuf are quite comfortable with it

like we went to a hammam the other day to ask about prices etc. The woman said we should get massages and when we askied questions about like how she massages, covering the awrah etc she laughed at me and my friend. (btw She was muslim as well) and said ' we are all women' and i'm like :embar: emmm no thanks lool

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

Re: Breastfeeding and modesty

Originally posted by Radec View Post
          Breast feeding is indeed natural but exposing your breasts isn't.

If you want to do it, do it in the vicinity of women only or do it in private.

I think it's very inappropriate to start breast feeding your child in a social gathering.
          where did the first responders go who were going on about how the op should have ran off from that event or something or how it was his fault for looking

Comment

Re: Breastfeeding and modesty

if you're going to talk about people, how about being direct? instead of "some people" etc.
            Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
            Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by iwasjimmyjimmy View Post

What?

I don't think women have a problem with doing it infront of female family members.

Comment

Originally posted by Radec View Post
                What?

I don't think women have a problem with doing it infront of female family members.
                speak for yourself but then as i stated above, not all muslim women are the same. Some really dont mind at all

Comment

It is a good thing you didn't talk to her about it. She might have went off even if a woman asked her to be a little more modest.

She should have covered herself, feeding your child doesn't mean you should expose yourself to the world.

And she is not Muslim so you can not really uphold her to the same standard of modesty. Without stating the obvious next time you are in a similar predicament you know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima London View Post
                    speak for yourself but then as i stated above, not all muslim women are the same. Some really dont mind at all
                    Umm, I'm pretty sure women are more comfortable doing these things infront of each other (provided they don't expose anything).

I think it's really crass when people expose their breasts so openly. You don't want to know the things I've seen some people do on the trains.

Comment

Working...
                    X