Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron drops.

Asalaam aleikoum.

There are iron drops (liquid form) that my doctor has prescribed for me because i have iron deficiency anemia.
    However, it contain a very small portion of alcohol which serves as the flavor of the flavor (orange). Is halal for me to consume it?

The other alternative is iron tablets that comes in contact with alcohol (ethanol) during one of the steps in the manufacturing process but this alcohol is then evaporated and does not appear in the finished product, according to the company.

So which of these two are more halal? Could the amount of the first one (drops) be smaller than the amount they use in the tablets, or is it better if the alcohol evaporates?

Would be very thankful for answers,

Salam aleikoum
    Last edited by Muslima303; 11-11-12, 10:26 AM.

Re: Iron drops.

Someone who have knowledge about this? would be very thankful for answers barakallahu feekom

Comment

there is another alternative that dont contain alcohol but it contain polysorbat 80 which research shows can be dangerous, for example cause infertility etc.

Is this a good reason to shoose the alcohol alternative, or do i have to choose the halal alternative but with the dangerous substance? what is the islamic view of this? I reallly have to take iron as soon as possible, and i dont know what to choose.

Would be very thankful for your opinions and answers barakallahu feekom.

salam aleikum

Comment

Well I do remember reading a fatwa that said if the alcohol is almost all evaporated in the end product then it is halal. But you'll have to do some research into that. I don't think anyone here can fully answer your questions as they're quite complicated so take them to a more knowledgable person inshallah.

Comment

i dont know anything about the drops, but i have had a problem with anemia in the past, the consultant said vitamin c in the form of vegtable and fruit should also be taken with green leafy vegetables and other iron containing foods, as the body cannot absorb iron without vitamin c, and vitamin c cannot be stored in the body and needs to be taken daily hence we are told to eat 5 fruit and veg daily.

maybe look at improving your diet unless u have sickle cell trait, it should be sufficent once u get ur iron levels back up insha Allah.
          "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

asalaam aleikum,

Thank you for your answers.

x--x: Do you know where i can find that fatwa?

Asiya: I have iron deficiency anemia, so i have to take one of the medicines, but i dont know which medicine to choose, because i want to know sure that am taking the right medicine.

If anyone have more information about this please share it barakallahu feekom.

salam aleikum

Comment

asalam aleikum,

For example, what is better and more permissible to choose, the drops, that contain very small amount of alcohol (as a solvent in flavor) or the tablets, where ethyl alcohol is used in the manufacturing process but evaporates and does not appear in the finished product?

Please share your information barakallahu feekom

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima303 View Post
                asalam aleikum,

For example, what is better and more permissible to choose, the drops, that contain very small amount of alcohol (as a solvent in flavor) or the tablets, where ethyl alcohol is used in the manufacturing process but evaporates and does not appear in the finished product?

Please share your information barakallahu feekom

:salams

'What is the ruling on medicines that contain a percentage of alcohol?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to mix medicines with alcohol, because alcohol must be thrown away. It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1263; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. Secondly: If the medicine is mixed with alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol is so great that this medicine is intoxicating, then it is khamr and it is haraam to take it. If the percentage of alcohol is very low and it does not intoxicate, then it is permissible to take it. It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110): It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect.'

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.
                Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/40530/medicines%20alcohol

that may or may not help

:jkk:
                Last edited by Slave4akhirah; 15-11-12, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X