Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting to Dress Modestly?

AS WR WB

May ALLAH(SWT) guide u to an understanding in the deen Ameen. Sister do not let your family discourage u. You are not to obey your parents if they are telling u to disobey ALLAH(SWT). Remember that ALLAH(SWT) provides.

Be mindful of ALLAH and ALLAH will protect U.
    Be mindful of ALLAH and U will see Him in front of U. If U have need to ask, ask of ALLAH, if U seek help, seek help from ALLAH. Know that even if the nations were to gather together to benefit U with something, they would not be able to benefit U with anything except what ALLAH has already recorded for U. Know that ever if the nations were to gather together to harm u with something, they would not be able to harm U with anything except for what ALLAH has already recorded against U. The pens have been lifted and the pages have been dried.

Hijaab is not a headscarf that goes on top of a woman's head. There is more to the definition of Hijaab. If someone's opinion goes against the Qur'an and Sunnah than we are to disregard it and to correct it. It clearly states in the Qur'an and Sunnah how a Muslim woman is to dress. I usually do not comment on this site, but I do not like for people to misguide others by their opinions.
    Qur'an 2 45:46
    Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded, (45) Who know that they will have to meet their Lord, and that unto Him they are returning.

Qur'an 29 2:3
    (1) Do men imagine that they will be left (at ease) because they say, We believe, and will not be tested with affliction? (2) Lo! We tested those who were before them. Thus Allah knoweth those who are sincere, and knoweth those who feign.

Hijaab is mandatory on a Muslim woman who has attained the age of puberty.

Qur'an 24:31
    And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

Qur'an 33:59
    O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CWSXIXSH7o

I advise listening to this lecture for the correct way of Hijaab

Narrated Umar: I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Good and bad persons enter upon you, so I suggest that you order the mothers of the Believers (i.e. your wives) to observe veils." Then Allah revealed the Verses of Al-Hijab.

Narrated Safiya bint Shaiba:
    'Aisha used to say: "When (the Verse): "They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms, "was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."
    Sahih Bukhari

Sorry for the long post!

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
      There is a difference between saying what you think is right and insulting those who disagree with your point of view, this is the height of immaturity. There is also a huge difference between following a certain opinion on rulings, and calling the scholars you disagree with liars. You are not a scholar to judge whether their sources are authentic or not, as the scrutinizing of ahadith is a complicated science. If scholars do not agree upon a topic, who are you to say one is wrong and one is right?
      its not insulting, its saying the truth. theres only one opinion in hijab, n that is the way of the prophet muhammad (alayhi salam). the wives n the companions wives didnt wear shalwar kameez, long shirts with baggy trousers, etc. so why is it that people have left their way of ruling n decided to accept that hijab is only permitted for the hair only, or that shalwar kameez is acceptable i know that its common in some asian cultures n now western clothing with hijab is perceived as a fashion item. i hate people for the sake of Allah who dont follow it correctly, the wives n companions wives wore hijab correctly - they were privileged enough to be the first ones to follow the ayah of hijab, they had the prophet muhammad (alayhi salam) giving clear instructions n lastly Allah wears Hijab which is His Veil (the light/nur) so its insulting when u do whatever u feel like when Allah's Veil is from the same origin as the human veil

Comment

Allah Ta'ala is our Protector

Comment

Originally posted by Curious George View Post
          its not insulting, its saying the truth. theres only one opinion in hijab, n that is the way of the prophet muhammad (alayhi salam). the wives n the companions wives didnt wear shalwar kameez, long shirts with baggy trousers, etc. so why is it that people have left their way of ruling n decided to accept that hijab is only permitted for the hair only, or that shalwar kameez is acceptable i know that its common in some asian cultures n now western clothing with hijab is perceived as a fashion item. i hate people for the sake of Allah who dont follow it correctly, the wives n companions wives wore hijab correctly - they were privileged enough to be the first ones to follow the ayah of hijab, they had the prophet muhammad (alayhi salam) giving clear instructions n lastly Allah wears Hijab which is His Veil (the light/nur) so its insulting when u do whatever u feel like when Allah's Veil is from the same origin as the human veil
          Your post seems to be again circumventing what I pointed out. Instead of admitting your mistake, you are still trying to defending being judgmental. Since when is following a scholar of Islam being misguided or permission to hate and slander another Muslim? May Allah guide you.

All Madhabs agree that transparent, tight, flashy, jangly clothing is not hijab.
          All Madhabs agree that the entire body should be covered.

The scholars I posted were from all 4 madhabs and all stated that pants and non-Arab clothes can qualify as hijab depending upon how they fit the agreed upon definition of hijab (not transparent, not lose, not form-fitting, ect). This was the point I was making, so do not accuse me of trying to say hijab is not fard or not from Qur'an or sunnah. I implied no such thing, and I know very well what the requirements for physical hijab are and the Ayat that demand it.

You are saying that anyone who follows these scholars is rejecting the other scholars and should therefore be hated by the Muslimeen. I previously stated that I believe all the opinions are correct because they all derived their evidences from authentic sources yet interpret them differently. You are the one who had the audacity to accuse the scholars who posses more knowledge than you. You are accusing millions of pious Muslim women of being impious. Millions of Indonesian, Malaysian, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and various African countries; your sisters in Islam whom you have no right to slander.

You are free to follow your scholars' opinions but you do not have the right to backbite the other scholars for having a different view, and you certainly do not have the right to publicly slander a believer simply because you disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by HmInh View Post
            Assalaam alaikum,
            When you started to dress more modestly, how did your close family react?
            Do you come from a family that is more secular or not?

Converts/reverts, your answers would be awesome!
            wa alaykum assalam

i still cant wear hijab at home or anywhere where family are in sight or would find out
            i cover up though as best i can without them going nuts on me as i am apparently backwards in wanting to be modest and being modern is about wearing fashionable clothes n stuff that all the other normal women wear!! loooooooooooool
            i started slowly though and now they are used to seeing me in long sleevss in the baking sun n whatnotand just think thats how i am....takes time but sabr is your best friend in islam alhamdulilah :)

it gets a bit weird though when i have my older sisters wearing exposing type clothes and im there all covered, and feel like hang on you should be settin example,but they think im the warped one, i try and explain my thoughts etc but its kinda in one ear out the other , we do our best, and that is all Allah azzawajjal wants :)

wait till im married and in full hijab and niqab
            then family will go nuts but mum is fine with it after im married :) or so she says

Comment

subhanAllah, I can relate to some of that - keeping working towards your goal..I thought maybe I could only wear hijab after marriage or at this time or that etc.. but subhan Allah..Allah Ta'ala is Al-Wakeel and Al-Waliyy...and He Ta'ala can control the hearts of people and circumstances and make things easy and provide a way out, when/where one doesn't expect

a convert sister felt her situation/circumstances appeared insurmountable and too weak... but Alhamdulillah Allah Ta'ala helped her to take the step to put on the headscarf.. and then after that abaya..and then even longer khimar/headscarf alhamdulillah katheeran (and she's not married)

..so to you and the dear convert sister who asked this, keep the sincerity and desire burning in your heart, keep making du'a, and know when you take each step..Allah protects the believers, and He is sufficient for whoever relies on him.. and Allah Ta'ala facilitates in ways one couldn't even imagine..

& maasha'Allah on the full hijab & niqab aspiration....:love:
              May Allah grant ease and help to the Muslims

Originally posted by Slave4akhirah View Post
              wa alaykum assalam

i still cant wear hijab at home or anywhere where family are in sight or would find out
              i cover up though as best i can without them going nuts on me as i am apparently backwards in wanting to be modest and being modern is about wearing fashionable clothes n stuff that all the other normal women wear!! loooooooooooool
              i started slowly though and now they are used to seeing me in long sleevss in the baking sun n whatnotand just think thats how i am....takes time but sabr is your best friend in islam alhamdulilah :)

it gets a bit weird though when i have my older sisters wearing exposing type clothes and im there all covered, and feel like hang on you should be settin example,but they think im the warped one, i try and explain my thoughts etc but its kinda in one ear out the other , we do our best, and that is all Allah azzawajjal wants :)

then family will go nuts but mum is fine with it after im married :) or so she says

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                Your post seems to be again circumventing what I pointed out. Instead of admitting your mistake, you are still trying to defending being judgmental. Since when is following a scholar of Islam being misguided or permission to hate and slander another Muslim? May Allah guide you.

All Madhabs agree that transparent, tight, flashy, jangly clothing is not hijab.
                All Madhabs agree that the entire body should be covered.

The scholars I posted were from all 4 madhabs and all stated that pants and non-Arab clothes can qualify as hijab depending upon how they fit the agreed upon definition of hijab (not transparent, not lose, not form-fitting, ect). This was the point I was making, so do not accuse me of trying to say hijab is not fard or not from Qur'an or sunnah. I implied no such thing, and I know very well what the requirements for physical hijab are and the Ayat that demand it.

You are saying that anyone who follows these scholars is rejecting the other scholars and should therefore be hated by the Muslimeen. I previously stated that I believe all the opinions are correct because they all derived their evidences from authentic sources yet interpret them differently. You are the one who had the audacity to accuse the scholars who posses more knowledge than you. You are accusing millions of pious Muslim women of being impious. Millions of Indonesian, Malaysian, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, and various African countries; your sisters in Islam whom you have no right to slander.

You are free to follow your scholars' opinions but you do not have the right to backbite the other scholars for having a different view, and you certainly do not have the right to publicly slander a believer simply because you disagree.
                no u didnt even read my posts properly, read them again:

incorrect? its not even my own opinion, its from the salaf n khalaf not from some of the shuyukh of today who make 'adjustments'. in al aqeedah al hamawiyah, ibn taymiyah (rahimullah) says that the salaf have more authentic sources. rather than some people who decide to change some things according to modern society. n im accusing them for a good reason, we are allowed to speak out when we see wrong - theres plenty of examples. but obviously thats only some, n there are good shuyukh mashaAllah who spent years deriving rulings from the qur'an n sunnah
                ive stated that i hate people for the sake of Allah which is considered halal as it falls under al wala wal bara. to show u that im not speaking nonsense, read n watch the following - n no theres no difference of opinion in terms of hijab except the ruling of niqab n aba'ah

Comment

:jkk: amin masha Allah so important to understand this issue ^
                  "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

no u didnt even read my posts properly, read them again:
                    [..]repetitiveness
                    Refer to your first post

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HmInh View Post
                        Assalaam alaikum,
                        When you started to dress more modestly, how did your close family react?
                        Do you come from a family that is more secular or not?

Converts/reverts, your answers would be awesome!
                        :wswrwb:

Insha'allah I will try to answer the original question.

I come from a white non-Muslim family. Alhumdulillah, as I was drawn closer to Islam I stopped wearing my old sometimes skimpy clothes and started to dress more modestly, for example in long sleeves and loose-fitting western clothes. By the time I took my Shahada, I pretty much understood the significance of the Islamic dress code and was aware of the importance of being recognisable as a Muslimah, and knew it was my duty to do my best to represent my new religion. I was also acutely aware of the protection that the hijab provided, but decided that it would be easiest for my family if I did this slowly, step by step. So I started wearing a patterned hijab, then moved to a plain colour hijab and stopped the make-up, then started wearing dark coloured maxi skirts with long black coats and then moved to mainly black abayas. At each stage I would say that my family let it be known that they couldn't understand why I was dressing in "that garb", but they are long over the phase of thinking that it is just one of my fads and are resigned to it, though I would not say they are accepting. I would say that seeing me in niqaab was a shocking moment for them, and something which they have maybe only recently come to terms with alHumdulilllah, but for me it is much important for me to seek the pleasure of Allah subhana wa ta'alaa and to be identifiable as one of His servants than worry about their sensitivities and what their neighbours might think.
                        Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

Originally posted by Slave4akhirah View Post
                          wa alaykum assalam

MashaAllah sis, may Allah make you strong in this deen.

I feel guilty everyday because some of the people that I am close with do not cover up their awrah, and they are all born Muslims.

I need the courage to start giving them dawah... I feel so weak right now :/

Comment

Originally posted by geeksupremo View Post
                            MashaAllah sis, may Allah make you strong in this deen.

I feel guilty everyday because some of the people that I am close with do not cover up their awrah, and they are all born Muslims.

I need the courage to start giving them dawah... I feel so weak right now :/

assalamu alayki' ukhti

ameen

i know how you feel, and sometimes you do end up getting shouted at for trying to tell someone what is correct, however, the example i can give you from my own life would be with regards to my mum. She is not ok with islam, yet, i still try and give dawah daily to her, because, when the end comes, Allah gonna ask why didnt you do your best? and my mum would be wandering why didnt she try harder so i became a believer and would have a chance in jannah......lol sounds funny, but these things worry me, and our actions can have an effect on someones akhirah .....so even though i might get shouted at, i still try in a cheeky way lol alhamdulillah mum has become more open to what i have to say but is sitkcing to her guns....at the moment :p if you need more motivation you know ummah forum will be happy to oblige :)

:jkk:

Comment

Wow, thanks for the help!
                              Why wouldn't loose sweatpants and a loose sweatshirt be appropriate if it doesn't show any shapes?
                              Yeah, I'm trying to wear hats and such to cover my hair but it would be too risky to be around my hometown in hijab and get caught by my parents or family.:c I bought a loose skirt yesterday and they basically freaked out.

Comment

Originally posted by waseem 125 View Post
                                Wow, thanks for the help!
                                Why wouldn't loose sweatpants and a loose sweatshirt be appropriate if it doesn't show any shapes?
                                Yeah, I'm trying to wear hats and such to cover my hair but it would be too risky to be around my hometown in hijab and get caught by my parents or family.:c I bought a loose skirt yesterday and they basically freaked out.
                                I thought I wrote that for a second! :O

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X