Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to Dress Modestly?

Assalaam alaikum,
    When you started to dress more modestly, how did your close family react?
    Do you come from a family that is more secular or not?

Converts/reverts, your answers would be awesome!

Re: Starting to Dress Modestly?

When i startd to dress modestly my family were very supportive.. if there were days whn i didnt feel like wearing the hijab they wud try to guide me n tell me that i need to cover up.. it was probably bcuz my family were practising muslims so alhamdulillah it was a blessing for me..

I wudnt knw hw i wud b if the matter was to b different..
    Narrated Abu Musa: Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? i.e. (Who is a very good Muslim)?" He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands." (Book #2, Hadith #10)

Comment

Wa Alaykum Assalam

I'm not a convert so sorry for that :/

I guess you could say my parents really like it, but then there's certain Muslims in my school who look down upon people who dress modestly.

Ibn Umar was asked, �Did the sahaba laugh?� He said, �Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.�

"You can not be the ummah that will call the world to goodness if you hate everybody else" - Nouman Ali Khan

Comment

You guys are really blessed to have family that support you!
        Salams2All, that's too bad about the people at school but at least you have the support of your family!
        My family is not supportive at all. :/

And I was asking for converts too because they sometimes have really unsupportive families. :)

Comment

Originally posted by HmInh View Post
          You guys are really blessed to have family that support you!
          Salams2All, that's too bad about the people at school but at least you have the support of your family!
          My family is not supportive at all. :/
          They don't allow you to dress modestly?

Ibn Umar was asked, �Did the sahaba laugh?� He said, �Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.�

"You can not be the ummah that will call the world to goodness if you hate everybody else" - Nouman Ali Khan

Comment

No, I try to do as best as I can, but nope.

Comment

Try easing them into it, if you wear short clothing switch to longer clothing and then start wearing hijab and continue on from there. If they ask you why you're doing what you're doing say your intention is to please your Rubb who's done so much for you.

Comment

Yeah, I'm covering everything but my hair right now and even then I try to keep my hair simple or pulled out.
                I've been wondering how I'm going to introduce covering my hair. That will be the real problem. I'm wondering if I can start when I'm no longer living in their house.

Comment

Yeah, I'm covering everything but my hair right now and even then I try to keep my hair simple or pulled out.
                  I've been wondering how I'm going to introduce covering my hair. That will be the real problem. I'm wondering if I can start when I'm no longer living in their house.
                  Wallahi sister don't delay you don't know when your soul will depart your body. Simply tell them you wanna take your religion seriously and it's fard for you to wear hijab.

Comment

Originally posted by Salams2All View Post
                    Wallahi sister don't delay you don't know when your soul will depart your body. Simply tell them you wanna take your religion seriously and it's fard for you to wear hijab.
                    They're not Muslim, and they don't approve or support anything I've been doing. I'm worried that if I start covering my hair, it would tear my family apart.

Comment

They're not Muslim, and they don't approve or support anything I've been doing. I'm worried that if I start covering my hair, it would tear my family apart.
                      How old are you, maybe you could move out (or you could wear hijab once you go outside), give them dawah through your actions and show them that you're a better person as a Muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by Salams2All View Post
                        How old are you, maybe you could move out (or you could wear hijab once you go outside), give them dawah through your actions and show them that you're a better person as a Muslim.
                        I'm in my early 20s, I'll be moving out in two years (insha'Allah). I'm trying to, but as much as I love them to pieces... their actions or their behaviour is difficult to cope with. They drink (not alcoholics, but they drink once a day), and they are very negative. I try to do my best to improve their lives through Islam by me being a better daughter but... yeah.

Comment

I understand wot the sis is saying my family aren't happy I've converted I'm so glad I don't live with them.. Apparently I embarrass my mum when I wear my hijab. Frankly it's her deal not mine, I'm gonna do wot I think I right. At the end if the day we all answer to Allah, I can't say to him I didn't wear my hijab cos my mum does approve. I think my sis and dad aren't as bad as mum.. To b honest I'm findin hard to talk to her..sometime I feel like avoiding her.. Which isn't good.

Comment

Last edited by brit; 11-12-13, 08:30 AM.
                            You miss the garden, because you want a small fig from a random tree. Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Marina-Aisha View Post
                              I understand wot the sis is saying my family aren't happy I've converted I'm so glad I don't live with them.. Apparently I embarrass my mum when I wear my hijab. Frankly it's her deal not mine, I'm gonna do wot I think I right. At the end if the day we all answer to Allah, I can't say to him I didn't wear my hijab cos my mum does approve.
                              good advice masha Allah

my freinds and family only knew i had become muslim because they saw me in hijab, i didnt discuss becoming muslim with them, i became muslim i wore hijab and that was that, they didnt have a choice in the matter, like it or not , i was wearing it and i was muslim.

They tried to convince me to "tone it down" and my mother ( who is a hindu) will wear her hindu clothing shalwar kameeze, tilak ( yellow clay marks on her face) and carry her japa beads and chant the names of her gods when im out with her ( i just talk to her non stop so she has to reply and stops chanting)

my father still after 14 years, almost everytime i see him or am out with him, speaks about "all those robes you wear " as he still calls them having said that when ppl stare hes ready to take them on and he marched up to a guy and went balistic at him for staring at his daughter in B & Q because following us round the store and peering at me through the shelves. They may not like your islam, but you will always be their child, be kind and patient with them, but dont ever compromise your religion for them.
                              "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X