Does Islam require hate??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Islam require hate??

well when sinners reverted to Islam they are no longer hated, so that shows you dont hate the person doesnt it?
    Originally posted by علي View Post
    I know I have, but I've yet to see any basis for it in Islam. Some sinners as I have highlighted earlier are hated, and I've yet to see how evidence forbids this.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

who said they need to stay away from non muslims? and look down upon them?

you missed the bit where i said we dont stay away from our non muslim family, in fact because of islam i have a better relationship with my non muslim family.
      Originally posted by Ana the Ist View Post
      I have an idea why...its because the answers I've gotten so far are conflicting. It appears Muslims are unsure of what the Koran says on this. Some clearly think that they are justified in hating non-believers, others seem to think hatred is a strong word and that they merely only need to stay away from them and look down upon them.

Here's what you said...
      " Most people choose their friends from those they see and come into contact with regularly, graduating to those who they perceive as having similar views to themselves."

In what way was my response inappropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
        well when sinners reverted to Islam they are no longer hated, so that shows you dont hate the person doesnt it?
        Yeah but what about before that? It really depends on the type of sinner, some sins will beget you the hate of individuals, families, and even most people (like murder or pedophilia).

Still though, the doors of repentance are of course open to all, yes even the latter two, disgraceful as it was.
        والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
          It's called "Al Wala wal Baraa" which means something along the lines of showing love and hatred for Allah's (swt) sake, so yes it is an emotional response that has roots in the religious texts. The interesting thing is that your original post left out any reference to the 'love' part and focussed entirely on the 'hate' part. This suggests to me that it was a loaded question in the first place.

Emotions are an innate aspect of human beings. All human beings have emotions, but those emotions are directed and swayed by different criterion. The question should not be about why a person abiding by Islam chooses it as a criterion to govern her thoughts and emotions, but rather your question should be to ask about the origin of your own (as well as others) criterion and ascertain the basis of that criterion and whether you can prove that your criterion is correct or not.

Nothing is innately good or bad in origin except that it is one's criterion that defines it as such. Just a generation ago, the US and Europe were punishing gay people for their sexuality due to their criterion defining it as wrong- now they are celebrating it as a lifestyle choice. The action is the same only the criterion changed. Their criterion is based on nothing but conjecture. Read news articles from the 1980s and you'll find the governments of the US and UK were allies with people like Saddam Hussain and arming him, even when he was dropping chemical weapons on civilian villages, they were funding and supporting Jihadi groups in Afghanistan and yet within the past 15 years those very same people became demonised and destoyed. What changed? It's common knowledge that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda so that's no excuse.

The first two responses that bleated on about 'Islam is peace' were incorrect and probably written to appease you (most likely due to their own incorrect understanding of the topic). Islam is neither inherently about war nor inherently about peace, but has rules of conduct and behaviour to govern both types of situations (eg how to honour a peace treaty and how to deal with a war situation).
          Well this is by far the most in-depth explanation I've had so far, yet it leaves the question unresolved. I understand now, you choose the Koran as the criterion for your choice to love or hate someone. The question then becomes, "does the koran say that you should hate disbelievers?"

I'm sorry if it seemed a loaded question from the start. I think many westerners, including myself, are unfamiliar with the concept of "hating for the sake of what god hates". The idea of loving someone (even your enemies) because god loves them isn't a foreign concept at all. Indeed, I think the notion that god hates anyone (and his followers should too) is unheard of.

Comment

And you have been answered.
            Your only answer was that it doesn't mean "feeling hatred". You never said what it does mean...

Comment

what do you mean many westerners, most of us replying to you are westerners :scratch:

Comment

Indeed, I think the notion that god hates anyone (and his followers should too) is unheard of.
                Well then you've clearly not read the bible.
                والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Your only answer was that it doesn't mean "feeling hatred". You never said what it does mean...
                  Yes I did, that it entailed not getting too close to them. I don't need to feel hatred in order to do that. I don't need to feel love towards you to do good towards you either. The actions of my limbs need not be related to the degree of my love/hate. It's a matter of obeying orders. God tells me to be good, I have to be good, even if I don't feel like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Submit To Peace View Post
                    So u pick and choose which answer to ur question to accept and carry on with.

Carry on then
                    Well thank you for at least acknowledging that I've gotten two very different answers here...is this a question upon which Islam itself is divided? Are the people telling me that Islam tells Muslims to hate disbelievers simply wrong? Are those who are saying Islam doesn't say to hate disbelievers wrong?

Is it really difficult to get a clear answer on this without an angry Muslim accusing me of this, that, and the other?

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
                      Islam does not require hatred of non believers, it has already been said in this thread, how would people come to Islam if muslims hated them, we do not hate our non Muslim families.

Have you never heard of hate the sin not the sinner?
                      Sure and what you say makes sense...except for those Muslims here who have clearly said that Islam says they should hate disbelievers. Are they wrong?

Comment

It has been explained to you in detail exactly what the entire concept entails. You did not even acknowledge that, and it was from multiple posters too.
                        No.

No clear answer was given, you yourself say that certain sinners are hated within Islam. Others tell me this isn't the same as feeling hate. If it isn't feeling hate...what kind of hate is it?

I only ask because the "feeling of hate" is the only hate I know. If you know of another please share.

Comment

Well then you've clearly not read the bible.
                          New testament or old? I've read both but I'd rather stay on the topic of Islam, I'm already well aware of the many many contradictions in Christianity even if Christians are not.

Comment

it is natural to hate people, if someone raped your sister or your mother you would hate them. We hate not from our own desires, but because that person has done something which Allah hates.

This does not mean we hate the person. In early Islam some of the worst people, who burried their daughters alive and beat their sisters became the best of people.

I dont think anyone said Muslims should hate all disbelievers?

Comment

What's so sad about hating someone?

Comment

No.

No clear answer was given, you yourself say that certain sinners are hated within Islam. Others tell me this isn't the same as feeling hate. If it isn't feeling hate...what kind of hate is it?

I only ask because the "feeling of hate" is the only hate I know. If you know of another please share.
                                No I never told you they were hated in Islam, I'm telling you that people are going to hate them naturally, and you're going to hate them too. Like you're not going to hate a murderer or a rapist, especially if you cared about the victims? Islam doesn't forbid that feeling, it just says that this feeling should not cause you to commit injustice.

And I already told you what the concept of walaa' and baraa' (affection and aversion) entails. You love people for the sake of Allah, and you avoid being friends with or loving those who disbelieve. That doesn't mean you have to have a feeling of hatred towards every disbeliever that walks by you (this would be tiring), but if one DOES have that feeling, it should not prevent them from being just. In the end, what goes on inside me is not really any of your business anyway, the important point is that I don't transgress. You and yours should be completely safe from me (when we're not at war) no matter what I feel towards you. How can anyone complain?
                                Last edited by علي; 27-10-12, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X