Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron tablets.

Asalaam aleykoum.

I have iron deficiency anemia, and my doctor have prescribed for me iron tablets as medicin because i need iron. The tablets contain magnesium stearate, which may be of vegetable or animal ( maybe from cow) origin. It may be manufactured from either vegetable or animal oils. I live in Sweden so the cow is not halal.
    I am wondering if its haram to take these tablets if the magnesium stearate has animal origin?

would be very thankful for answers barakallaufeekom

wa salaam

Re: Iron tablets.

walaykoum wasalam

i dont know but as long as its from plant fat. check with ur doctor if its a muslim

Comment

Comment

asalaam aleykoum,

barakallahu feekoum for your answers,

Im not sure if it is from a vegetable source yet, but i am wondering if its haram to take the tablets if they contain animal fat (not halal animal) if i dont find another animal free tablets?

ruwayda, thank you for the tip, but do you have iron deficiency anemia or just iron deficiency? Because my doctor told me that iron supplement from healthfood stores, like in liquidform are not enough and to weak. I really want to know if i can take them or not and as soon as possible, because i dont want to take them if it is haram.

would be very thankful for more answers barakallahu feekom

wa salaam

Comment

Comment

My doctor put me on prescribed iron tablets toooo, cuz Im ridiculously deficient , always have been <_< it's annoying because I'm so forgetful I always forget to take them.

but I didn't even read the ingredients how strange of me, your thread made me realize that. :jkk:
            Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

apart from the tablets, Thyme's also good for you.. try using a lot of it methinks... it should help somewhat.

[Alhamdulillahi rabbil3aalamyin

Comment

very often the cause of anaemia is lack of vitamin D or vitamin b12. Sister check it out. I had very bad anaemia with very low iron. Then I found out that my B12 was very low as well. I took injections and my B12 in blood normalized alhumdulillah. Now my iron is okey as well.

Comment

Here's a bit of free medical advice for you. Iron deficiency anemia is a symptom, not a diagnosis. You have to look into the root cause.

I've had iron deficiency all my life. Took iron pills, syrup, what have you, hasn't helped one bit except my bathroom production was super-rich in iron.

Turns out my body can't metabolize it efficiency BECAUSE I have thalassemia minor. Genetic condition where red blood cells are, I believe, smaller than normal.

There is no cure, but taking folic acid works. A simple blood test will tell you if you have it. BTW, super-common among Arabs and Mediterranean peoples.

Comment

Originally posted by *Aisha
                    says the nonarab kuffar. so that no one takes that^ for fact and knows its just an opinion.
                    [removed by mods, unnecessary provocation] Saudi screens people for thalassemia before marriage. [removed]
                    Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21623050

Here's Mr. Wikipedia:

Thalassemias are particularly associated with people of Mediterranean origin, Arabs (especially Palestinians and people of Palestinian descent), and Asians.[5] The Maldives has the highest incidence of Thalassemia in the world with a carrier rate of 18% of the population. The estimated prevalence is 16% in people from Cyprus, 1%[6] in Thailand, and 3-8% in populations from Bangladesh, China, India, Malaysia and Pakistan. Thalassemias also occur in descendants of people from Latin America and Mediterranean countries (e.g. Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and others).
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia

[removed]
                    Last edited by dhak1yya; 22-10-12, 08:37 AM. Reason: see above

Comment

Originally posted by n_n_n View Post
                      Aisha, your beloved Saudi screens people for thalassemia before marriage. Do you think they do it out of idle curiosity?
                      Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21623050

Here's Mr. Wikipedia:

Thalassemias are particularly associated with people of Mediterranean origin, Arabs (especially Palestinians and people of Palestinian descent), and Asians.[5] The Maldives has the highest incidence of Thalassemia in the world with a carrier rate of 18% of the population. The estimated prevalence is 16% in people from Cyprus, 1%[6] in Thailand, and 3-8% in populations from Bangladesh, China, India, Malaysia and Pakistan. Thalassemias also occur in descendants of people from Latin America and Mediterranean countries (e.g. Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and others).
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia

I'm not bothered when you call me non-Arab kuffar - have at it. Proud of both counts.
                      Interesting. You learn something new everyday.
                      https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

I take iron tablets and told my doctor I'm Muslim and he recommended ferrous fumarate iron tablets...

Comment

Originally posted by shez:na View Post
                          I take iron tablets and told my doctor I'm Muslim and he recommended ferrous fumarate iron tablets...
                          Did he say why?

Comment

Originally posted by n_n_n View Post
                            Here's a bit of free medical advice for you. Iron deficiency anemia is a symptom, not a diagnosis. You have to look into the root cause.

I've had iron deficiency all my life. Took iron pills, syrup, what have you, hasn't helped one bit except my bathroom production was super-rich in iron.

Turns out my body can't metabolize it efficiency BECAUSE I have thalassemia minor. Genetic condition where red blood cells are, I believe, smaller than normal.

There is no cure, but taking folic acid works. A simple blood test will tell you if you have it. BTW, super-common among Arabs and Mediterranean peoples.
                            I haven't heard about the relevance of folic acid or tried it but aside from that I agree with the rest of your post completely. I also believe iron deficiency is not a sufficient diagnosis in itself but rather a symptom of something more going on- but often Drs don't bother to look into these things cos' they tend to have a very mechanical approach to such things. I think Iron also needs vitamin C (or is it Vitamin A?) in order to be absorbed properly and things like Calcium (eg Milk) and tea inhibit the absorption of Iron. I'm not suggesting to give up tea or milk (I certainly couldn't stop drinking tea), but leave a gap of a couple of hours between your iron dose and drinking tea or milk.

My body didn't handle iron supplements very well as taking the proper dose affected my digestion and what Drs don't tell you, is that if your digestion isn't working well, then your body wont absorb the nutrients as efficiently either. Sometimes the iron liquids and syrups (I used to take spatone iron which is a type of mineral water that is heavily packed with iron) might indicate that the amount of iron in milligrams is very little, but if it is in a form that is better absorbed by the body, then in fact your body feels greater benefit from it than from a higher dose that isn't getting properly absorbed due to it upsetting the digestive tract.

Other sources of Iron I think are parsley, thyme, liver, goat meat, raisins, dates and dark chocolate amongst other things.

I also have thallasemia minor so I presume that's why anemia (and the crushing fatigue that goes with it) has affected me for much of my life, especially my teen years.
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

ok, thank you for your answers.

I really want to be sure that it is not haram to take the iron tablets if they contain animal fat (cow), because havent found another similair tablet yhat is animal and alcohol free.

My doctor said that iron juices etc are not enough in my case, because i have iron deficiency anemia, so either tablets or iron injections. What about iron injections is it a good alternative? is it halal or haram?

Would be very thankful for answers.

barakallahu feekom wa salaam aleikum.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X