High Protein-Low Carb diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Protein-Low Carb diet

I know we have some very knowledgable people when it comes to diet and fitness. What is your opinion on High protein-low carb diet?

I am starting up on this diet, have done it for a week and saw results easily. Also it has made me more aware of the bad (carb/sugar) food I normally eat. However, I don't want to get on a diet and risk having greater side effect. What is the best way of following the diet without going extream? My friend who is doing this with me told me: no fruit, low low carb, and all protein and grass. I have doubts about cutting down fruit

Re: High Protein-Low Carb diet

Originally posted by Kya View Post
    I know we have some very knowledgable people when it comes to diet and fitness. What is your opinion on High protein-low carb diet?

I am starting up on this diet, have done it for a week and saw results easily. Also it has made me more aware of the bad (carb/sugar) food I normally eat. However, I don't want to get on a diet and risk having greater side effect. What is the best way of following the diet without going extream? My friend who is doing this with me told me: no fruit, low low carb, and all protein and grass. I have doubts about cutting down fruit
    Fruits and vegetables are must.

Comment

Last edited by talib as-safa; 05-09-12, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the Dukan to me.

I married into a family who are always on such diets.

This particular diet was started by my sister in law who dropped two dress sizes and lost one stone.

The other sister in law also started it and lost two stones and dropped 4 dress sizes.

They were both seriously overweight.

It's been over two years now and they are continuing to shed the weight - they've got me husband on board now too.

From what I understand - its not to be seen as a 'diet' but more of a change in the way you perceive food. Its a lifestyle change.

If I was to ever go on a diet. I would no way be as strict as this particular diet (I also dont believe that you should cut out fruit). However, I would reduce my carb intake.
        https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Low carb diets are unsustainable and whether you like it or not, carbs are an essential source of energy.

Mostly, low carb diets shed water weight, and once you get back on carbs, it has a rebound effect.

But my the only proven way to lose weight is to increase energy expenditure (exercise) and reduce calorific intake. It's as simple as that.

Personally I would recommend a high protein, moderate carb and medium-low fat diet. But keep it to under 1500 calories a day, depending on your weight loss.

Carb cycling is the best diet actually. On days you workout, eat slightly more carbs. On days you don't workout, only eat carbs in the morning and afternoon.
          Last edited by oz99; 05-09-12, 04:44 PM.

Comment

What Should Swimmers Eat?

Swimmers, like all athletes, require a nutritionally-balanced diet that contains nutrients to sustain daily activities as well as their training and racing. Athletes require enough fuel to keep their bodies functioning properly, and that fuel must be of a high quality so their bodies can perform well. Making smart food choices is important for swimmers to supply their bodies with the nutrients they need.

Carbohydrates

The majority of a swimmer's diet, up to 50 to 60 percent, should come from complex carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are used most efficiently by the body during exercise. Whole grains such as whole-wheat bread, cereal, brown rice and whole-wheat pasta are recommended. Whole grains take longer to digest, keeping you fuller longer. Try to stay away from white rice, bread, pasta and bagels, as white carbohydrates cause the blood sugar to spike and can affect a swimmer's performance.

Protein

Protein is used in the body to build and maintain muscle tissue, enzymes and hormones. Protein intake should be from 20 to 25 percent of your daily calorie intake. Swimmers should try to choose lean protein and avoid high-fat cuts of meat, processed or fried meat and fast food as much as possible. Smart protein choices include lean white meat chicken, turkey, eggs, fish, tofu and skim or low-fat dairy.

Fats

Fat is an important nutrient and needed for energy and nutrient transport in the body. Fat should only account for 15 to 20 percent of your daily calorie intake. Swimmers should limit their intake of saturated fats and trans fat. Reading nutrition labels, cutting out fast food and limiting fattier cuts of meat can help lower consumption of unhealthy fats.

Hydration

Proper hydration is essential for swimmers. Swimmers should consume 2.5 to 3.5 liters of water each day in order to stay hydrated. Sodas and juices are not recommended for maintaining hydration. Sports drinks can be consumed if exercising for longer than an hour. Otherwise, they should be consumed sparingly. Make sure to watch the amount of sugar and sodium found in drinks.

Competition Days

On the day of a competition, swimmers should always eat a healthy, balanced breakfast. Healthy options include oatmeal with fruit or eggs and whole-wheat toast. Whole-wheat toast and peanut butter is a good choice if you need to eat on the run. Bacon, sausage, doughnuts and sugary cereals are not recommended before a competition. Consuming water and healthy snacks like fruit, nuts or whole-grain crackers throughout the day is also recommended in order to keep your energy up.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...#ixzz25brGfIkk
            Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Comment

Let me tell you a secret. It doesn't matter what you eat, whether its protein, carbohydrates or fats. All that matters at the end of the day is the amount of calories you take in. If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. There are people who have lost weight eating only McDonald. And carbohydrates should be the source from where most of your calories come from, so you have enough energy to get through the day.

Comment

Eat mostly vegetables and some select especially healthy whole grains. Cut out wheat, especially white flour and sugar and you will take a huge step towards weight loss and health. Fruit is not necessary, but veggies are.

Don't think in terms of weight loss, think in terms of overall health and your body will naturally shed unnecessary weight.
                Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

Funny enough I gave this advice in another thread, just seen this.

They are great for shedding unwanted fat and keep fit. Its about balancing it, have lowish carbs, but not too little as you will not have energy. Keep it in moderation and maybe have a 'cheat day', where you eat higher carbs but avoid simpel carbs i.e. sugary foods etc. With excercise it will keep you fit but as mentioned ina post, don't go on these for long periods, have breaks in between.

Fruit and veg is important, provides fibre and is a great source of antioxidents.

I'm currently having slightly higher carbs but my protein is high, packing on a bit more muscle without adding to the waist line after losing a bit during Ramadhan :D

Comment

Originally posted by inprogress View Post
                    Eat mostly vegetables and some select especially healthy whole grains. Cut out wheat, especially white flour and sugar and you will take a huge step towards weight loss and health. Fruit is not necessary, but veggies are.

Don't think in terms of weight loss, think in terms of overall health and your body will naturally shed unnecessary weight.
                    Agree. Keep bread to a minimum, eat mostly wholegrain\brown, less sugary and provides complex carbs.

Comment

I swear by carb-cycling. The trick is to eat low carbs for 2 days and on the third day eat high carbs but make sure your carbs are complex carbs and not processed. This cycling will prevent you from gaining all the weight back when you have achieved your fat loss goal and you slowly transition back to a balanced diet. Make sure you don't overdo the low-carb day or you will stop burning fat and lose muscle instead. Egg whites, chicken breat (no skin) are your friend on low-carb days and running in the morning (empty stomach) are also good for helping you achieve your goal.
                      Last edited by somali_cush; 05-09-12, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoMo. View Post
                        Let me tell you a secret. It doesn't matter what you eat, whether its protein, carbohydrates or fats. All that matters at the end of the day is the amount of calories you take in. If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. There are people who have lost weight eating only McDonald. And carbohydrates should be the source from where most of your calories come from, so you have enough energy to get through the day.
                        This.

Calorie intake vs Calorie expenditure should be your main focus. Why make your body suffer by restricting carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by oz99 View Post
                          Low carb diets are unsustainable and whether you like it or not, carbs are an essential source of energy.

Mostly, low carb diets shed water weight, and once you get back on carbs, it has a rebound effect.

But my the only proven way to lose weight is to increase energy expenditure (exercise) and reduce calorific intake. It's as simple as that.
                          Originally posted by MoMo. View Post
                          :up:

My cousin was on Atkins diet not long ago and I decided to tag along. By the 2nd week I felt so tired and gave up. How long can one stick to this kind of diet anyway? A certain amount of fat is needed in our body, it acts as a cushion to our internal organs. And not to mention ketosis can lead to many health problems in the long run.

Keep a moderate, varied and balanced diet, and workout regularly. Protein > carb > fat.

Comment

isnt this really bad for you in the long run? you will see results but its not maintainable because as soon as the insulin level in your blood increases you'll put weight on again. Its healthier to cut and moderate the fat content in your current diet, such as cutting out junk and moderating the amount of other fats like cheese, ect and instead eating healthier by increasing vegetable consumption. Also opt for grains and pulses, instead of refined carbs.
                            82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

The only bad diets in the long run are the atkins type ones. These diets go to the extreme in terms of cutting something out completely or sticking to 1 food group.

The thing is to be healthy and to achieve that you basically cut out junk and excercise. Weight shouldnt be the main focus, health in terms of stamina etc are much more vital. I know skinny people who climb stairs and rest

In answer to the question though, if you want to lose weight quickly the best diet is a high protein plus excercise. Thats not Atkins though and do it for a limited time frame

I would recommend 6 weeks, with at least a 45 minute excercise programme (this could be walking etc if you are not used to it)
                              eat regularly every 3 hours and dont eat after say 9pm if you sleep at 11

eat basically green veg with your meals, spinach, broccolli. Or cauliflower just not potatoes.

I lost 2 stone in 6 weeks doing this, as did my mrs and she was told by the GP this was excellent during pregnancy as it helped control her gestational diabetes and our baby was almost 10lbs mashallah

we did very little hardcore excercise, mainly going for walks

Recent research has shown this diet over a longer period can help control type 2 diabetes, I learnt it of a boxer

a typical day for me would be

eggs for breakfast (9am) , 2/3 lamb kebabs grilled and with veg (cauli/brocolli) on a bed of salad (12), similar at 3pm, then veg broccolli cauliflower stir fried with say a chicken leg (thing and drumstick).

No juices etc just water. If I got hungry at say 9pm I simply ate something

There is loads you can do, so aubergine stuffed with mince etc

no going hungry, no ill effects, no bloating etc and weight loss that stays off

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X