Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is smoking Medical Marijuana really haraam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is smoking Medical Marijuana really haraam?

I had heard that smoking things that can cause harm to your body are haraam (cigarettes). Yet EVERYONE in my family smokes cigarettes and my Dad smokes 10-11 cigarettes a day. About a week ago my mother found out I was smoking marijuana and she yelled at me and said it was haram and I told her I didn't know (I really didn't) and even though I was using it for medical reasons it's still haram.

Here's the thing, smoking it has really helped me. I have a lot of anxiety and I get huge stomachaches/nauseous all the time because I'm always worrying about things. I had a developing eating disorder, both anorexia/bulimia. I couldn't eat and if I ate I would throw up, smoking marijuana had helped reduce my anxiety BY A LOT. And it had helped me eat food (gave me an appetite) and I recieved no nausea afterwards. I was also having problems with depression and no matter how hard I tried I could never feel happy and when I told my mother about it she thought I was being ungrateful and that I didn't have depression. Smoking had helped me "cheer up" and feel a lot more up and about than I usually ever could. I was also insomniac and it helped me sleep.

So here I am thinking I found a great way to help me cope with all my problems without having to take different pills and deal with many side-effects but now apparently I can't because it's haram? Is it really? I find it so hard to believe that people look past smoking cigarettes with all the toxins the tobacco companies inserts in it but I can't smoke something that's actually helping me?

(Note: I didn't go overboard and smoke too much either, I would usually buy a 1g and finish it in a week.)

Re: Is smoking Medical Marijuana really haraam?

:salams

I dunno.. u should ask a Scholar. Seems like you've got a kind of a legit reason, but I dunno, sorry. =/
    إن للمتقين مفازا

Comment

Medicinal use of marijuana comes under the same ruling as other intoxicating drugs such as morphine, cocaine etc, which have their uses in medicine. It's halal IF it's prescribed by a doctor and IF there's a medical necessity for it.

Self prescribing these things is not a good idea either from a medical point of view, or in terms of what's permitted in Islam. Find a Muslim doctor and if the Muslim doctor agrees that there's a medical necessity for it, then keep on taking it. I think it would be better not to smoke it though, there are other ways to take medicines that don't damage your lungs. My mother in law died from emphysema, and trust me no-one wants to die that way, gasping for breath from the slightest exertion, and walking across the room seeming like you're climbing a mountain, needing to use oxygen bottles and oxygen masks just to walk across a room. I'm sure there is some medicinal benefit in marijuana for various conditions, Allah made the cure for all illnesses. However that does not mean that you have to smoke it, and in Islam there's a very clear line between medical necessity and recreational use.

BTW this is not a fatwa, I'm not a scholar. However I have looked into this before, and there are quite a number of drugs that have their use in medicine, yet are intoxicating and used as recreational drugs too. Recreational drug use is haram, end of. However where the same drugs have a legitimate use in medicine, they can be and are used. Generally they are used where there is no alternative drug that is not intoxicating.
      Last edited by dhak1yya; 28-08-12, 04:55 PM.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
        Medicinal use of marijuana comes under the same ruling as other intoxicating drugs such as morphine, cocaine etc, which have their uses in medicine. It's halal IF it's prescribed by a doctor and IF there's a medical necessity for it.

Self prescribing these things is not a good idea either from a medical point of view, or in terms of what's permitted in Islam. Find a Muslim doctor and if the Muslim doctor agrees that there's a medical necessity for it, then keep on taking it. I think it would be better not to smoke it though, there are other ways to take medicines that don't damage your lungs. My mother in law died from emphysema, and trust me no-one wants to die that way, gasping for breath from the slightest exertion, and walking across the room seeming like you're climbing a mountain, needing to use oxygen bottles and oxygen masks just to walk across a room. I'm sure there is some medicinal benefit in marijuana for various conditions, Allah made the cure for all illnesses. However that does not mean that you have to smoke it, and in Islam there's a very clear line between medical necessity and recreational use.

BTW this is not a fatwa, I'm not a scholar. However I have looked into this before, and there are quite a number of drugs that have their use in medicine, yet are intoxicating and used as recreational drugs too. Recreational drug use is haram, end of. However where the same drugs have a legitimate use in medicine, they can be and are used. Generally they are used where there is no alternative drug that is not intoxicating.

That's true, you can also use a vaporizer (which is very expensive) or drink it as a tea but it's hard to find in my area. Although I have read up on it and it does not damage your lungs as much as cigarettes do and apparently it only starts to affect you if you smoke large amounts. I know people that smoke it consistently and they're lungs are fine so I think it really depends on the quantities you smoke. I self-prescribed because most of the medicines for depression and anxiety have a lot of side-effects that I already had but where I live I could apply for a medical-card that is prescribed by a doctor so if I did that would it be okay? I don't know any Muslim Scholars or doctors though so I don't really know who to ask. I don't use it for recreational use though, I know the difference. I just want to prove to my mother that it's not completely Haraam. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Meowsis View Post
          That's true, you can also use a vaporizer (which is very expensive) or drink it as a tea but it's hard to find in my area. Although I have read up on it and it does not damage your lungs as much as cigarettes do and apparently it only starts to affect you if you smoke large amounts. I know people that smoke it consistently and they're lungs are fine so I think it really depends on the quantities you smoke. I self-prescribed because most of the medicines for depression and anxiety have a lot of side-effects that I already had but where I live I could apply for a medical-card that is prescribed by a doctor so if I did that would it be okay? I don't know any Muslim Scholars or doctors though so I don't really know who to ask. I don't use it for recreational use though, I know the difference. I just want to prove to my mother that it's not completely Haraam. :(
          you can write to islamqa on their website or another scholarly website you trust and ask them
          if you follow the reasoning that intoxicants are ok if used medically then by that reasoning some might also think you could also use alcohol as a medicine, as many nonmuslims have over the centuries, but the Prophet (s) told us not to do this
          I dont know the answer, but you should write to someone knowledgeable with a full picture of the situation and get their advice

Comment

I checked islamqa and they say you shouldnt use it for stress anxiety, I dont know about using it for other things such as cancer

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/115761

Ruling on smoking various types of hasheesh (marijuana)
            en - ar
            Share |
            Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

Praise be to Allaah.
            Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/425): Consuming this hasheesh in solid form is haraam, and it is one of the most evil of haraam plants, whether a little of it is consumed or a lot. End quote.

Consuming intoxicants is haraam regardless of the way in which they are consumed.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Qaasim al-Shaafa’i said: What is meant by the drinker is the consumer, whether it is drunk or consumed otherwise, whether there is consensus on its being forbidden or there is a difference of opinion concerning that, and whether it is solid or liquid, cooked or raw. End quote.

Sharee’ah only forbids the consumption of drugs and intoxicants because of the great harm that they cause to the mind, soul, family and society. We have discussed some of these harmful effects in the answer to question no. 66227.

As for stress and anxiety, you may rest assured that the remedy for them is not to be found in smoking hasheesh or any other haraam thing. Allaah has not put the remedy of this ummah in that which He has forbidden to it. In Saheeh Muslim (3670) it says that asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about alcohol and he forbade him or told him not to make it. He said: “But I make it as a remedy.” He said: “It is not a remedy, it is a disease.”

If you want to rid yourself of anxiety, then we advise you to do several things, including the following:

1- Pray a great deal for forgiveness with proper presence of mind.

2- Do wudoo’ and pray, for these are the greatest means of helping oneself to be patient in dealing with hardship and dispelling worry.

3- Remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), because this is a sure way to attain peace of mind and tranquillity.

4- Send a great deal of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2381) it is narrated that Ubayy (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send a great deal of blessings upon you. How much of my du’aa’ should I make for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.” I said: One-quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: One half? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: Two-thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: I will make all my du’aa’ for you. He said: “Then your worries will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

This is in addition to avoiding the causes of stress and anxiety as much as possible. If the source of this anxiety and stress is worry about the future, such as how you will learn a living and so on, then you must think in positive terms of Allaah and sincerely put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:3]

May Allaah help us and you to do all good.

Islam Q&A

Comment

i have depsression too ...

where did i put my bong ...

Comment

I don't really view marijuana as an intoxicant at all and I never even heard of people using alcohol as medicine. I know doctors used to use it as an anti-septic for burns but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post

:rotfl:
                  إن للمتقين مفازا

Comment

"anxiety" is not the only thing I have and it is not due to stress I don't know where the anxiety comes from but I used to do that what I was younger it does not help as much as you'd like to think. Of course when someone has depression or severe anxiety the first thing they have to do is "help themselves" and prayer will cure all of they're problems right?

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post

That's cute.

Comment

"anxiety" is not the only thing I have and it is not due to stress I don't know where the anxiety comes from but I used to do that what I was younger it does not help as much as you'd like to think. Of course when someone has depression or severe anxiety the first thing they have to do is "help themselves" and prayer will cure all of they're problems right?
                        Salam,
                        thats why you should ask a knowledgeable person who you can confide in with all of the issues and who has the knowledge to give an Islamic answer, as mentioned if there is noone you can ask that you know in real life there are several sites that have scholars you can write to, islamqa being one

Comment

I dont know if you are trying to be sarcastic here, prayer is part of the solution to any problem, nonmuslims and scientists have also found that prayer can help people with illnesses
                          however islamically we are also to see doctors and get medical treatment if we get ill, we are supposed to trust in Allah but also "tie our camels"

Comment

Originally posted by Jannah7 View Post
                            I dont know if you are trying to be sarcastic here, prayer is part of the solution to any problem, nonmuslims and scientists have also found that prayer can help people with illnesses
                            however islamically we are also to see doctors and get medical treatment if we get ill, we are supposed to trust in Allah but also "tie our camels"
                            Yes I know, it just reminded me of when I asked my mother to get me help for my depression she didn't believe and told me to pray and my problems will go away so I've already heard this before. But since I can't seem to find any Muslim Scholars in person I will check out that website and see what they say, thank you anyways.

Comment

I had heard that smoking things that can cause harm to your body are haraam (cigarettes). Yet EVERYONE in my family smokes cigarettes and my Dad smokes 10-11 cigarettes a day. About a week ago my mother found out I was smoking marijuana and she yelled at me and said it was haram and I told her I didn't know (I really didn't) and even though I was using it for medical reasons it's still haram.

Here's the thing, smoking it has really helped me. I have a lot of anxiety and I get huge stomachaches/nauseous all the time because I'm always worrying about things. I had a developing eating disorder, both anorexia/bulimia. I couldn't eat and if I ate I would throw up, smoking marijuana had helped reduce my anxiety BY A LOT. And it had helped me eat food (gave me an appetite) and I recieved no nausea afterwards. I was also having problems with depression and no matter how hard I tried I could never feel happy and when I told my mother about it she thought I was being ungrateful and that I didn't have depression. Smoking had helped me "cheer up" and feel a lot more up and about than I usually ever could. I was also insomniac and it helped me sleep.

So here I am thinking I found a great way to help me cope with all my problems without having to take different pills and deal with many side-effects but now apparently I can't because it's haram? Is it really? I find it so hard to believe that people look past smoking cigarettes with all the toxins the tobacco companies inserts in it but I can't smoke something that's actually helping me?

(Note: I didn't go overboard and smoke too much either, I would usually buy a 1g and finish it in a week.)
                              do you pray 5 times a day ?
                              "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Working...
                              X