Christian "Missionaries" now targeting Muslimas: The Muslim Next Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian "Missionaries" now targeting Muslimas: The Muslim Next Door

How to better understand and befriend women who follow Allah.

by Corrie Cutrer
    Today's Christian Woman, March/April 2004

Since the terrorist attacks of September 11 and President Bush's declaration of war on Iraq a year ago this March, curiosity and confusion among Americans about the religion of Islam has reached an all-time high.

Yet for Muslim-turned-Christian brothers Ergun and Emir Caner, this challenging period comes with treasured opportunities. Throughout the past three years, these American-raised Turkish brothers, who teach at separate Baptist seminaries and have coauthored two books on Islam, have spoken at churches, conferences, and universities nationwide about their Muslim upbringing and conversion to Christianity. Their hope is to win Muslims to Christ and to share how Christians can lovingly yet courageously present the gospel to their Muslim coworkers, neighbors, and friends.

"We've seen Muslims reconsider their faith in ways we've never experienced before," Emir says. "They're confused with what the Qur'an says about jihad, and how they're supposed to interpret it. Because of this, I truly believe this is the most open opportunity we've had to share Christ with Muslims in the past century."

According to Emir, more than 34,000 Americans convert to Islam each year. "Because many are marrying Muslim men, 80 percent of these converts are women."

Yet because traditional Muslim beliefs about the separation of men and women still influence many Muslim families, the Caners believe Christian women hold the exclusive opportunity of reaching Muslim women with the gospel.

TCW recently spoke with Emir and Ergun to find out how we can reach out to the growing number of Muslim women in our communities.

What misconceptions do we have about Muslim women?

Emir: One is that a Muslim woman isn't approachable. A Christian sees a Muslim woman wearing her traditional attire and thinks, I can't speak to her; she's too different. Some Christians also believe that since Islam traditionally is a male-dominated religion, a woman either won't want to speak about her religion or isn't knowledgeable about Islam. But the reality is, a Muslim may be quite open to sharing what her faith means to her.

Ergun: Muslim women also can have misconceptions about American women. Some feel Americans hate them or believe all Muslims desire war. They're cautious of Christianity because they associate it closely with Western culture. They see women on television wearing revealing clothes or sleeping around, and believe all Christians act this way. It's important for Christian women to establish friendships to break down these stereotypes.

How do American Muslims differ from those in the Middle East?

Emir: Many Muslim women come to America not only to run away from political oppression, but from spiritual oppression. They don't want to follow the traditional ways of Islam. They see America as a place where they can keep the core of their faith and modify what they perceive as unnecessary legalism. That's why many American Muslim women don't wear the burqa, veil, or headscarf, or why some talk to men directly. They're arguing for a feminist interpretation of the Qur'an.

What's the best way to approach someone who seems to have modified her faith?Some American Muslim women still dress traditionally. Why?

Emir: A traditional Muslim woman views the headscarf as a sign she's under the protection of her husband. If she doesn't wear it, she believes she's sinning by creating lust within a man. So she also wears it as a sign of virtue. For an American Muslim woman who wears a veil or headpiece with modern dress, her covering still represents her devotion to Islam.

Ergun: If she's single, it also represents her desire to live in humility before her family.

How can we effectively build relationships with Muslim women?What's important to remember when the discussion turns to faith?

Emir: Foremost, a Christian needs to be able to explain God's grace and unconditional love. Islam is a works-based religion, as its five pillars (or requirements) of faith demonstrate. As a Muslim, I knew the Qur'an said, "Allah loves those who do righteous deeds." But when I became a Christian, I was stunned to discover the Scripture, "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). I didn't have a clue what grace was until I became a believer!

A Christian also needs to know how to defend who Jesus is. The Qur'an says Jesus was only a messenger, that he wasn't crucified, and that he's not divine. There are Bible passages that clearly demonstrate Jesus is God, such as Matthew 9:2, in which Jesus forgives sin, or John 8:23, where Jesus says he is God.

Believe in the sanctifying power of God's Word. Encourage your Muslim neighbor or coworker to read the Bible for herself. We've seen Muslims read through the New Testament, and by the time they got to Revelation, they'd turned their lives over to Christ.

Ergun: I encourage Christians to use the question-and-answer method when talking with a Muslim about her faith. When you feel comfortable enough, ask sensitively, "Why do you wear a veil?" or "Which foods aren't acceptable for you to eat?" By consistently asking questions, you'll find she becomes inquisitive about your faith, too. Then you can begin to share the basis of your beliefs.

Any encouragement for Christians who fear such conversations will be offensive?

Emir: Many Americans don't realize that in Muslim culture, friendly confrontation and debate are enjoyable. Discussing your faith compassionately with a Muslim while remaining friends shows her your faith is reasonable and defendable. It also signifies that you're as passionate about your beliefs as she is about her own. The "politically correct" idea that all religions are equal isn't a message that leads Muslims to Christ. There needs to be open debate and friendly interaction based on unconditional love.

How can we be sensitive to the Muslim woman considering converting to Christianity?

Emir: Recognize how serious this is for a Muslim woman. A decision to follow Christ is often a decision to leave your family, because Islam strictly forbids conversion. I speak weekly to American Muslims who say they realize Islam isn't the way to heaven, but they can't bear to lose their families. Christians need to be prepared to encourage Muslims with some important facts from the Bible: Jesus promises he will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5); he will never let anyone snatch us out of his hand (John 10:28); and he who saved us will keep us and glorify us (Jude 1:24). To a Muslim woman, this beautiful doctrine of eternal security can be comforting.

What if our efforts seem to go nowhere?Corrie Cutrer is a TCW regular contributor. Ergun and Emir Caner's latest book is Out of the Crescent Shadows: Leading Muslim Women into the Light of Christ (New Hope Publishers).

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tcw/2004/002/6.44.html
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

this is so riduclously funny- just like the jewish man who wrote to sky news about shiek yassin and said we must work to stop the spreading of islam which is a cancerous tumor.....
    no point- if somebody leaves islam thenthey were weak- but Allah WILL guide those whom He wants to guide

Comment

.: Anna :.

Comment

i welcome all christians to approach me and talk to me, inshaa Allah. i especially love when they come to my door. i love to sit and talk with them, could go on for hours (if i have the time). i insist on giving them dawah, and handing them brochures. i listen to what they have to say and then follow up with what i have to say. when they are back in our neighborhood i notice they sometimes walk around our house, avoiding it. i can't understand why??

Comment

You know what guys?
          As the Jews and us Muslims know more than anything. Christian missionaries just use deceptive methods, lying, and circular arguments. That is why they cannot succeed. We are growing farther than they are.

They try the same thing on the Jews all the time, these Christian missionaries. They goto coaching camps and learn how to do things.

Thats the difference between Muslims and Christians. When we do Da'wah we do it through example, we do it from the heart, we dont need to be coached, and our purpose it not to convert the people because only Allah (SWT) can guide.

Insha'Allah all our Muslim brothers and sisters have a good Muslim brother or sister friend who can re-assure their hearts over the doubt these Christians create. If you really do not know your Islam well, you can fall prey to their attacks. If you do not know your faith, they can confuse you. Remember if you are feeling and confusion, just goto a Muslim brother or sister friend who can re-assure you, or your local Imam.

Remember by telling the missionary about Islam, the true Islam, and not the "Islam" they learn about in Missionary-Camp, you are doing Da'Wah on them! Remember they know what your answers are going to be to alot of questions.

They know you will say "the Bible has been corrupted" or "The Qur'an is from God because it has no contradictions"

They might even have a list of "110 Contradictions" in the Qur'an, most of which are a mistranslation of the language or a stupid misinterpretation of the text.

Also Muslims must be warned if you goto a Christian missionary site (even if your purpose is to refute everything) if you are ever confused, even if you have alot of knowledge about Islam, go ask a scholar or imam!

Be wary, if you do not have proper knowledge you can really fall into the worst trap that Shaytan can ever put you in.

Shaytan creates doubt. We must not have doubt!

I pray to Allah (SWT) that we are not misguided.

Jazakallah wa Khayrun.

Comment

Do not worry about Christian missionaries.

Christianity is a dieing religion, soon it will be only in name.

Islam should worry about Jews (who are growing stronger) and their allies like the Freemasons, Secret societies and athiests.

Jews, Satan-Worshippers and Athiests are our biggest enemies now.

(forget about the hindus and communists as well..... they will soon die off - they cannot resist the temptation the Jews and Masons present to them through Capitalism, Globalism, New World Order... you will see Indians and Chinese ditch their village dress and Saris for western Jeans and tight clothes - indeed we are already seeing this... like i say .... we have to worry about Jews, Masons and Athiest alliance.
            Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Working...
            X