A lesson on dealing w/ppl who are phys/mentally disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson on dealing w/ppl who are phys/mentally disabled

Today was another typical day at work. However, something happened, which I found to be really important to write about, so here I am. :)

For some background info, I work in a health-related environement b/c of my field of study. Hence, I often have to deal with people who either have mental or physical problems or a mix of both. One patient came in today who, well, I realized did have some sort of mental problem. However, physically, he looked totally normal. He made a flirtacious remark to one of my co-workers, which was a bit blunt. So, as a result, a couple of co-workers looked a bit shocked, while others who were around just looked at him oddly and whispered. At that moment, I thought to myself, "Subhan Allah, it's not like this poor guy is deaf or blind." Just because someone is slow doesn't mean that he may not comprehend certain reactions people have. So I went right out, helped him out with a few things that he needed help with & conversed with him as I would with any normal person.

From experience, I learned that people, whether they are physically or mentally disabled, should be given "normal treatment." The reason for this is that they understand what's going on, and can become sad or angry if they are treated in an abnormal or ill-mannered way, just as anyone would. Furthermore, if they are treated with respect, they appreciate the gesture because they know that they are not necessarily "normal like everyone else."

I guess I was just a bit moved by what happened today. Alhamdulillah for the countless blessings we have. Health is something often taken for granted. May Allah always keep us healthy and happy and guide us always, Ameen, Ameen, Ameen.

~Ayah
    Please Re-update your Signature

Asalamalaykum Ayah, Ameen 2 your dua ukthee.

Most of mentally ill people and disabled people look physically healthy and there not always a sign that they are not normal, Yeah and sometimes they can hurt you, i've been on the recieving end.

Alhamdulilah.

May ALlah reward you for helping him out ameen.

Comment

sallaam

Mental illness only sign is the person themselves. You cannot tell when someone is mentally ill unless they are showing signs or symptoms. What you said is very true, treat them like any other human beings. Its not like because they have a mental illness they are any less of a human being. They have rights just the same as everyone else has. Further, dont chastise them or patronise them by treating them like idiots.

Allah HAfiz

FNam ("really tedious" nam 17/03/04)

Comment

ameen :)
        .: Anna :.

Comment

Originally posted by nam
          sallaam

Mental illness only sign is the person themselves. You cannot tell when someone is mentally ill unless they are showing signs or symptoms. What you said is very true, treat them like any other human beings. Its not like because they have a mental illness they are any less of a human being. They have rights just the same as everyone else has. Further, dont chastise them or patronise them by treating them like idiots.

Allah HAfiz

FNam ("really tedious" nam 17/03/04)
          true true.

at the moment, im doing a placement working with individuals who have had brain/spinal injuries..and apart from their inability to use both hands..use of both legs, various speech, memory, communication problems etc, they r very much able and they r v intelligent.

and theyre all really great. i love working with them :D

Ws
          You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

Working...
          X