Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abaya!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abaya!

    :salams

    Does anyone here make their own abayas? Is it difficult? I'm thinking about making my own because the styles that I like are usually very expensive Most of the abayas here are imported which is why they cost a lot. It would be nice to wear a self made, one of a kind abaya this Eid

    Is there any websites that show instructions or have free abaya patterns to choose from?

  • #2
    Re: Abaya!

    awwww how cute:love: you want to make just a simple A-line 3abaya?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Abaya!

      Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
      awwww how cute:love: you want to make just a simple A-line 3abaya?
      Aishaaaaaa!!! I just bought one the other day but man the price! I need more abayas because I only wear them now when I'm going out so yeah maybe I'll start with a simple A-line abaya. And then maybe have some crystals embedded on the sleeves :inlove:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Abaya!

        Make sure it doesn't go short whilst sewing it. Last time, mine seemed long so I got her to cut it and soon it went too short and I had to give it away.

        I might try in the summer. I tried sewing salwar kameez once, and failed miserably.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Abaya!

          Wa alaykum assalaam wa rehmatullahi wa baraktuhu,

          Sister, I love abaya's, my fav clothing item! But I can't make them. Just wanted to share that there was a girl praying next to me at ICNA convention this year, I asked her about her simple Khimaar(more like a cloak) she was wearing, it was beautiful, the way it was covering everything was so perfect! She had made it herself! And the fabric was bought from walmart!! Wow, skilled sister for sure!

          Good luck on your abaya project! :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Abaya!

            Originally posted by geeksupremo View Post
            Aishaaaaaa!!! I just bought one the other day but man the price! I need more abayas because I only wear them now when I'm going out so yeah maybe I'll start with a simple A-line abaya. And then maybe have some crystals embedded on the sleeves :inlove:
            i know the ones i wear are ch-ching man,,but we do what we gotta do loool at least i dont have to pay for it thats for sure:p


            i think i seen one pattern on the net a long time ago that was for a A-line style ill try to look,,if i find it ill post here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Abaya!

              Geeky you cant buy material and have it customed made?? It might be cheaper for you that way,,if theres any good dressmakers in your area of course.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Abaya!

                Originally posted by SeekingIhsan View Post
                Make sure it doesn't go short whilst sewing it. Last time, mine seemed long so I got her to cut it and soon it went too short and I had to give it away.

                I might try in the summer. I tried sewing salwar kameez once, and failed miserably.
                :jkk: for the tips, will definitely keep that in mind. I do have an abaya that's slightly bigger than my size (someone gave it to me), I'll pay extra attention to the length when cutting it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Abaya!

                  Originally posted by Umme Ibrahim View Post
                  Wa alaykum assalaam wa rehmatullahi wa baraktuhu,

                  Sister, I love abaya's, my fav clothing item! But I can't make them. Just wanted to share that there was a girl praying next to me at ICNA convention this year, I asked her about her simple Khimaar(more like a cloak) she was wearing, it was beautiful, the way it was covering everything was so perfect! She had made it herself! And the fabric was bought from walmart!! Wow, skilled sister for sure!

                  Good luck on your abaya project! :)
                  I love abayas too! They're so comfortable and elegant, they can't go wrong! And you can just pray straightaway in your abaya as well :up:

                  I've seen a picture of a girl wearing a khimar, it's the most unique one I've came across so far because the colour is light pink, and she paired it with a black niqaab... it's so gorgeous! Plus the material is nice too, looks airy and flowy.

                  Anyway, :jkk:, hopefully I'll have a decent abaya to wear this Eid :o

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Abaya!

                    :wswrwb:

                    My mum's made some for us, and it's not really difficult if you know how to measure and sew! It can, however, be a bit tricky if you are not familiar with the fabric.

                    Here's a video on DIY abaya.
                    حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَ نِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Abaya!

                      Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
                      i know the ones i wear are ch-ching man,,but we do what we gotta do loool at least i dont have to pay for it thats for sure:p


                      i think i seen one pattern on the net a long time ago that was for a A-line style ill try to look,,if i find it ill post here.
                      Ooooh thank you do post it here if you find it, that would really help a lot! :love:

                      Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
                      Geeky you cant buy material and have it customed made?? It might be cheaper for you that way,,if theres any good dressmakers in your area of course.
                      That's the thing I don't know anyone who makes decent abaya in my area. Plus I'm pretty sure all the dressmakers here don't take orders (?) anymore, because they're already busy around this time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Abaya!

                        Originally posted by Hayaa View Post
                        :wswrwb:

                        My mum's made some for us, and it's not really difficult if you know how to measure and sew! It can, however, be a bit tricky if you are not familiar with the fabric.

                        Here's a video on DIY abaya.
                        :jkk: for the video sis! :o

                        I am a bit worried about the fabric, the last time I tried sewing the fabric was quite slippery, I couldn't get the line straight lol

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Abaya!

                          I used to make my own jilbabs before my health problems kicked in and alhamdullilah I'm really happy with how most of them turned out. I'll admit that a couple of years before I started making my own, I had sewing lessons for some weeks from a family friend during a trip to Pakistan- but she taught me to make things like shalwar kameez (I wasn't wearing jilbab in those days). Alhamdullilah it was enough to help me figure out how to find my way around a sewing machine (cos' before that I didn't have the first clue).

                          My advice to you is that I think you really don't need a pattern of any kind- the fact that you've already bought an abaya that fits you... I personally think that when you already have an outfit that is the correct size etc, then that is the best template to work with when making another one. I'd also suggest you turn your readymade abaya inside out, so that you can look at where the seams are (cos' when you sew your own, you sew it inside out so this is the best guide). You'll also find that an extra inch of fabric should be drawn/cut around all the sides to allow room... room for making it looser if you accidentally sew it too tight, or room for folding in the edges and cuffs to make them look neat. If you don't know how to sew on buttons or button holes, it's no biggie- you can just sew a button on the appropriate area and then make a 'loop' of fabric as a buttonhole. A loop buttonhole looks like the edge of this garment here:

                          https://www.professorpincushion.com/...et-480x270.jpg

                          Or in some haberdashery departments, they actually sell ready made loop buttonholes like ^ that one and matching buttons. Some jilbabs you can get away with making without buttons but at least this gives you options if you can't make buttonholes and I used loop buttons myself.

                          Oh I noticed the comment about slippery material and I must warn you to be selective about the type of fabric you choose. If this is your first time then make sure that you pick a fabric that doesn't stretch when you pull at it as this will make it very difficult to work with or measure properly (even if it looks and feels nice). Start off with something very easy to work with. Cotton is particularly good for the summer months.

                          Originally posted by SeekingIhsan View Post
                          Make sure it doesn't go short whilst sewing it. Last time, mine seemed long so I got her to cut it and soon it went too short and I had to give it away.

                          I might try in the summer. I tried sewing salwar kameez once, and failed miserably.
                          You don't necessarily need to get rid of a jilbab that's too short. There are ways of extending the length of the jilbab in a discreet way. If you have extra scrap material from the jilbab itself, then that's even better cos' then you can lengthen the jilbab with the same fabric so that the extension doesn't look conspicuous- or if you want to be more daring and creative (and can't find the original material!), then you can pick the same fabric but in a different colour or design and sew that on as a contrast. Say for example it's a light blue jilbab that is too short and you can't find light blue fabric- you can add dark blue fabric either to the end of the jilbab to extend it, or to the middle section of the jilbab to extend it and then wear a dark blue khimar with it so that it all matches and complements the overall look. On the seams where the extension has been sewn on, this can be covered up with a strip of lace or (velvet or other fabric) ribbon and it will all just look like part of the overall design. If there are buttons on the outfit then you can use dark blue buttons as well to complement the whole look. I've done this a couple of times myself.
                          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Abaya!

                            I agree, the ready made ones are really expensive. I buy fabric and go to a seamstress. The only thing is the wait since she is really booked up most of the time.

                            Hope to see your pics :)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Abaya!

                              Originally posted by neelu View Post
                              You don't necessarily need to get rid of a jilbab that's too short. There are ways of extending the length of the jilbab in a discreet way. If you have extra scrap material from the jilbab itself, then that's even better cos' then you can lengthen the jilbab with the same fabric so that the extension doesn't look conspicuous- or if you want to be more daring and creative (and can't find the original material!), then you can pick the same fabric but in a different colour or design and sew that on as a contrast. Say for example it's a light blue jilbab that is too short and you can't find light blue fabric- you can add dark blue fabric either to the end of the jilbab to extend it, or to the middle section of the jilbab to extend it and then wear a dark blue khimar with it so that it all matches and complements the overall look. On the seams where the extension has been sewn on, this can be covered up with a strip of lace or (velvet or other fabric) ribbon and it will all just look like part of the overall design. If there are buttons on the outfit then you can use dark blue buttons as well to complement the whole look. I've done this a couple of times myself.
                              I would probably do that if I didn't have slight OCD about things being the way I wanted. I had a friend in school who did this kindof stuff in textiles lessons, but I never understood how she made it looked good.

                              Abayas are quite cheap here, but I never found many coloured niqabs for the hotter weather. I wonder how they sew niqabs.
                              Last edited by SeekingIhsan; 06-07-12, 12:27 AM.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X