X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Muslim woman gets creative with headscarves

A "compromise"http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...todaysfeatures
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Berlin Woman Designs 'Modern' Alternative To HijabInnovative Models 'Positive Sense'

Algan, who has now permanently swapped her conventional hijab for the alternative headscarf, says it's made her feel like a different person.

"With the new headscarf I feel like I'm more accepted in a positive sense. It could be just a banal conversation with the cashier at the supermarket about the weather, but now non-Muslims actually notice me and aren't afraid of contact," she said.

Algan added that she has no plans to sell the headgear on a commercial basis, but wants to convince younger Muslim girls and women to try it out and in doing so, sidestep a proposed ban on hijab in state-run institutions in Berlin. She's now started a women's discussion group to that purpose.

"I'm doing all this to just provide some ideas for Muslim women, to provide them with an alternative -- after all as far as Islam goes, there are no rules dictating how we should dress. We can wear what we want as long as we cover ourselves," Algan said.

Indoors, Algan does a quick fashion show as she exchanges her cleverly-woven bright hood cum scarf for a jaunty shaded green silk hat with an attached piece of fabric that buttons under the chin and flows to the chest and a floral patterned bandanna-like creation that gathers in at the back of the head.

"It looks so colorful and yet it's just so practical," Algan says. "It does away with the thousands of safety pins that you need for a conventional Muslim headscarf and at the same time covers the throat, hair and ears," she adds.

'Reserved' http://www.islam-online.net/English/...rticle03.shtml

Comment

Giving the Headscarf a Makeover

Sonia Phalnikar

Even as the headscarf row simmers in Germany, a Berlin Muslim has designed colorful alternative headgear that serves the purpose of a traditional hijab but looks like anything but. Finding takers is a problem.

On a sunny winter morning, Emel Algan drives up in a black Mini car to the office of her Islamic women's organization in Berlin's largely Turkish Kreuzberg district, her pixie-like face framed by a swath of striking pink fabric.

Indoors, Algan (photo) does a quick fashion show as she exchanges her cleverly-woven bright hood cum scarf for a jaunty shaded green silk hat with an attached piece of fabric that buttons under the chin and flows to the chest and a floral patterned bandanna-like creation that gathers in at the back of the head.

"It looks so colorful and yet it's just so practical," Algan says. "It does away with the thousands of safety pins that you need for a conventional Muslim headscarf and at the same time covers the throat, hair and ears," she adds.

Tradition and modernity

The latter is important for 43-year-old Algan, a religious Muslim and mother of six, who has worn the traditional Muslim hijab or headscarf since her childhood spent in small towns in Germany.

In recent months, the Muslim headscarf has been the subject of sometimes heated debate in Germany about its place in society, and in particular in state-run institutions.

Algan herself incorporates a mixture of tradition and modernity. She studied English language and literature at college and now heads a Muslim women's organization. She began toying with fashionable alternatives to the conventional headscarf a year ago.

"I was unhappy with the widespread prejudices in Germany against headscarf-wearing Muslim women, prejudices like 'they're dumb and servile.' I had nothing to do with all that but I felt like I was being branded the same on account of my headscarf," Algan explains.

Search for the neutral Islamic headscarfA new person

Algan, who has now permanently swapped her conventional hijab for the alternative headscarf, says it's made her feel like a different person. "Every morning when I get up I ask myself what I want to wear because I can now combine my wardrobe with my colorful headgear," she says.

The change isn't just external either. "With the new headscarf I feel like I'm more accepted in a positive sense. It could be just a banal conversation with the cashier at the supermarket about the weather, but now non-Muslims actually notice me and aren't afraid of contact," she says.

Strict social controls

Algan adds she has no plans to sell the headgear on a commercial basis, but wants to convince younger Muslim girls and women to try it out and in doing so, sidestep a proposed ban on the Islamic headscarf in state-run institutions in Berlin. She's now started a women's discussion group to that purpose.

"I'm doing all this to just provide some ideas for Muslim women, to provide them with an alternative -- after all as far as Islam goes, there are no rules dictating how we should dress. We can wear what we want as long as we cover ourselves," Algan says.

But delivering the message is proving harder than expected. "The reactions have been very reserved so far. Unfortunately, social controls are so strong in Muslim society that even if the girls are interested, they don't have the freedom to express themselves. They're worried about what their husbands and mothers-in-law will think," Algan says. "This traditional thinking is still deeply-ingrained in Muslims here though four generations of them now live here."

http://www.dw-world.de/english/0,336...89_1_A,00.html

Comment

oops this was supposed to be posted in the lifestyle forum...

dear admin bro / sis wherever you are... could you move this thread pls? thx :)

Comment

right so basically- they are hats- what about her neck- doesn't she think that is a part of cawra just like her hair- this is the most stupid idea i ever heard- comprimise- bloody hell- give in more like- is she turkish- would explain a lot to me

Comment

She's Turkish-German.............
            Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Subhan Allah... She makes it seem as if wearing a scarf is just plain ugly. How sad indeed. When the ayaat regarding hijab were revealed to Prophet Muhammad, pbuh, the women literally ripped up some curtains or gathered pieces of cloth together so they can do what were commanded to do by Allah. It was that simple. There's no need to conform in society by wearing some "flashy hats." The whole point of the hijab is to be modest anyway. Wearing scarves and pinning them can be very stylish & conservative at the same time. Just depends on how you do it.

~Ayah

Comment

yeah....scarves look better than some weirdo hat anyway :p
                it sounds like she just wants 2 blend in more with the german people around her, & i sorta see why she thinks that since u can get racist abuse etc in the streets, but still u should be proud 2 wear hijab so that u can b recognised as a muslimah :up:

sophiya it does say in the thing that these hats cover her neck...so i guess it does fulfil requirements, it just sounds weird :p

& if she hates pins so much, she could always wear alalmeera hijab anyway innit ;)

but if it does fulfil the requirements i guess we cant really diss her...although i would rather just wear a normal scarf, personally :p
                .: Anna :.

Comment

how you cover yourself if your own business as long as it meets Islamic requirements.. it's not the actual covering she's designed but the possible intentions behind it.. (obviously only Allah(swt) really knows whats in a persons heart)

but when Muslims start changing themselves and the way they live and the way they practice Islam to suit the prejudiced views of kaffirs.. that is a big worry..
                  saying you don't want to look like you're wearing hijaab.. it just seems that to say that you'd have to feel ashamed about looking like a Muslimah.. if it's for the sake of safety in the street then I can understand, because I guess in the UK we have it a lot easier than they do in mainland Europe.. so they must be under a lot of pressure and feel unsafe in their own country..

But still.. changing to suit them is giving in.. not wanting to look like a Muslimah is very sad.. like anna says, we should be proud of it.. and even if we are tormented because of it, we should face that and fight it because we know we following the path Allah(swt) has set out for us, and our actions are to please Him(swt) alone.. so we should trust in Him when we are in a state of weakness and hold on to our faith.. not start changing the way we practice.. are even the Muslims who try to actively practice Islam going to compromise it for this world and to please people, to get acceptance in a corrupt society..? Our aim should be to please Allah(swt) not those who reject Him..

May Allah(swt) protect our imaan.
                  ameen.
                  [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.[COLOR=sienna]- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi[/COLOR][/B]

[/FONT][/CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]
                  [CENTER][CENTER][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Shaykh al-Shadhili

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Jibreel (as)
                  [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [B][I][SIZE=4] ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ[/SIZE]<o></o>[/I][/B]
                  [B]O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
                  Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. [COLOR=Sienna]- Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

[/COLOR][/B][I][B][SIZE=4]أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.[COLOR=Sienna]ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

Hijab was ordained by Allah in order to protect women from the dangerous lusts of men and give them a chance to showcase their inner beauty through their talents, not physical outsets! I truly believe, as a fellow brother, the hijab gives women a certain elegance and grace uncomparable to anything else.... through it, the noor and light of Allah shines brightly!

Colourings and "head-coverings" like the ones designed by Emel Algan takes away the literal meaning of hijab and literally abuses it........ not a good sight at all! The situation in Turkey is fast becoming disastrous with all their swivelling and snivelling to get into the EU........... their army government has even banned all forms of hijab in public institutions, OUTRAGEOUS!

Comment

photo-installation by sermin sherif (turkey):

45 different was to cover yourself with a scarf (12 on the photo below)
                      Last edited by abdulhakeem; 10-04-04, 02:42 PM.

Comment

got dc twice :D

will post the photo in the next message
                        Last edited by abdulhakeem; 10-04-04, 02:41 PM.

Comment

is that considered mocking the sunnah?
                          Attached Files

Comment

As long as you cover what your supposed to cover, isn't it okay?

I am just wondering, the Jumu'ah khutba yesterday was about hijab, it was funny because the Sheikh showed how to wear the head scarf (remember hijab is the full dress code, not just the scarf or the khimar).

Comment

Actually I agree with her,
                              from what I see in the picture she covers the neck and the hair and everything but the head and hands.

there is nothing wrong with that as long as it covers everything

Comment

Working...
                              X