Afraid of 'current affairs' an the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Afraid of 'current affairs' an the news

yes i agree with you, thats what i mean i wont watch a horror film as there is enough in real life, people actually do that stuff to each other. I personally think we need to be more afraid of people then jinn.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

My point was though that what one sees can indeed have a lasting effect as you said, and it can affect one's views of things, like movies for instance.
      since I got PTSD, I haven't been able to watch violent films, at least not realistic forms of violence (fantasy violence I can watch to some extent). I think the general population is massively desensitised to all forms of violence because they have the luxury of being able to see it as not being real, or at least only affecting people who have no connection with them whatsoever. These days if I see anything violent on the TV, it's just way too real for comfort subhanAllah, even if it doesn't usually trigger flashbacks any more. Real life violence, when it's happening to people you know (as opposed to on the TV news when it's happening to strangers you have no connection with) is way 10000000000000000000x worse than anything you ever see on the TV. One PTSD website tried to explain flashbacks as being like if the scariest scenes in horror movies were playing in your head on a regular basis............ but the fact is it's not like that at all, because real life violence is so much infinitely worse than what you see in horror movies, because it's *REAL*, you don't have that protection of remembering that it's all just a film and special effects because it's not..... (so what replays in your head is considerably worse than anything in any horror film)
      Last edited by dhak1yya; 29-05-12, 10:12 PM.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
        yes i agree with you, thats what i mean i wont watch a horror film as there is enough in real life, people actually do that stuff to each other. I personally think we need to be more afraid of people then jinn.
        I think with people today, the djinn sit down hands on chins to learn from us.
        والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

don't get me started on how much I hate humans.................

one good thing that has come of all this is that now I truly understand why Allah created hell, because some people truly deserve it. May Allah guide us.
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
            one good thing that has come of all this is that now I truly understand why Allah created hell, because some people truly deserve it.
            Exactly, some of my favorite verses to read in prayer come from the top of the last page in Surat Al Ahzab.
            والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
              I can't watch the news and haven't been able to for 3 years, in fact I only skim-read your post because reading stuff like that causes me a lot of stress, because of PTSD from stuff when I was in Palestine and from when Gaza was bombed in 2008/9, subhanAllah.

My advice is it's probably better to nip something like this in the bud (i.e. consider whether a few sessions with a counsellor would help), because it could be that you've been traumatised by something, or it could be just general anxiety from all the horrible things going on. (with PTSD the stress comes from past events and seeing certain things/reminders in the here and now cause you to relive them, for example I would see something on the news and not see that news report at all it was like I was watching past stuff from Palestine and my mind was stuck in palestine/gaza - if the anxiety is purely at what;s going on in the here and now that's not PTSD, but if you're getting that much anxiety from it then that could be indicative of a different problem, but bear in mind that these kinds of things are truly horrible and IMO it's more abnormal to feel no anxiety at seeing those kinds of things!!)

BTW you don't need to actually experience those things yourself to get traumatised by them, witnessing stuff is enough or if horrible stuff is happening to people close to you and you know about it (even if you don't directly witness it) can be very traumatising, and if you're very sensitive/empathetic you're more likely to be traumatised by other people's suffering. I wasn't in Gaza when the bombing happened, but I have a few friends there and I heard most of the stuff about it directly from them, (including 5 deaths within the 1st day of friends/family of friends, subhanAllah (don't remember much of anything after that either, subhanAllah)), plus I already had PTSD from when I was in Palestine a few years before (that seemed to suddenly come out of nowhere shortly before Gaza was bombed, but after doing counselling and talking about all of it I realised that I'd had a low level of PTSD symptoms since returning from Palestine and they'd slowly built up over time, to the point that I was having flashbacks and extreme anxiety before Gaza was even bombed (and it got a lot worse after that!!!!) subhanAllah ................. that's why IMO anything like this, whether it's technially speaking PTSD or some other anxiety/panic related problem, it's way better to nip it in the bud inshaAllah)

http://www.sakoon.co.uk/index.html
              <--- helped me a LOT, alhamdulillah, I'm way better than I was alhamdulillah, although I'm still not up to watching the news etc.
              I'll consider it, i think i can sorta relate to what you'e mentioned plus i'm pretty sensitive as an individual.
              Any form of real violence proper gets to me even worse. Plus the mention of fam in your post i can relate to. I'll take it on board, :jkk:

Looks like the rest misunderstood my original point

لا تفكر كثيرا
              بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
              The children need your prayers more than anyone else
              -------------------------------------------------------
              www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

trust me , jinn are more scary.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                  trust me , jinn are more scary.
                  any experiences ?
                  Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
                  deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

Salaam,

Anywa you look at it violence and seeing death happen around you is terrible. Last year, my best friend, his younger brother and I were coming back from a birthday party ( this friend was a Muslim and his brother). Anyways, we were hit by a drunk driver who hit us driving on the wrong side of the freeway. I was able to get out allahumdullilah. I tried to save my friend by pulling him out and giving him CPR. I rode with the paramedics to the hospital but he passed away in surgery. It is one of the toughest things I have had to experience. My friend was killed and he saved my life. I lost my best friend that night and it is pure horror every time i get on the freeway or I have someone ride in a car with me. Later when we went to court I cried throughout the hearing. The drunk got 35 years in jail. I and his family were forgiving him because he was very remorseful. It doesn't bring him back but he was one of those brothers who everyone wanted to be friends, great student, very loving to his sisters. It saddens me but like the judge said at the trial "the innocent always pay for the guilty". I still remember it and it was very difficult to see someone die in front of you.
                    "Knowing what you dont know is more useful than being brilliant.
                    -Charlie Munger
                    "It seems that we're better at finding someone to blame for our problems than we are at finding creative solutions to fix them.
                    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
                      any experiences ?
                      on a yearly basis ...

Comment

Wa Alaikum as Salaam,

No, it doesn't scare me but it does make me sad. But its a purification process for this Ummah, whereby Allah(SWT) will seperate the true believers from the Munafiqeen.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                          on a yearly basis ...
                          elaborate .
                          Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
                          deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

Working...
                          X