Afraid of 'current affairs' an the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid of 'current affairs' an the news

I think this has come about recently, once in a blue moon do i check out the news an what's going on in the world

I know of what's happening in Syria and other places, the Abu Qatadah test(may Allah strengthen all of our brothers and sisters in Imaan ameen), the drought in Somalia are just a few of the general things which are happening. Not to mention what happened in Libya an is probably continuing.

I came to know of these things through khutbahs, glimpses of newspapers etc an i've distanced myself from current affairs. Even the whole football hooligan racism thing in Ukraine i think and other things have pushed me back

Even the thing about the poor baby girl found in the dump

All of these have created a fear/type of....anxiety i'd say within me. I rarely check out the news, rarely an now it's gotten worse. It's not that i don't care but rather it's this panic it brings to me. I've not had this before, but i think all the bad news has had a toll on me. It gets worse as i think of it as well.

Anyone else like this? I don't think i've had any traumatic incidents relating to these sort of things before in my life, but it's come to a point where i avoid all horrifying news

:(

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Re: Afraid of 'current affairs' an the news

:salams

What worries me is the thought if we (all of us sitting in the West comfortably, having our nice 3 meals a day, going to nice colleges and universities, wearing nice clothes, living in nice furnished homes, etc.) will be questioned by Allah and held accountable for doing nothing when our brothers and sisters are going through hell all over the world...Subhan'Allah.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

It is not the time to feel weak or getting distanced, there is a million things to do : give money, organize events, protests, even writing a blog is also an act of ibadah since you inform people of what is going on.

Obviously I am also touched but I also have adopted a "cold" approach to the issues so that I can deal with it rationally. You dont need to watch gruesome videos 7/7, i personally believe that it is a way to get unsensitive at one point. We know what's going on, no need to stay stuck on the news
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

if it was you, what would you want your sisters on the other side of the world do?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
        (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

i know what you mean. i've started to hate watching the news now especially about syria. i feel helpless when i see what muslims are going through.
          "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
          (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
          He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

:salams

May Allah make us to a tool to free the world from this injustice, ameen. I agree with mirror..I can barely watch all these horrible things because then I always start to cry. I can't listen deedless to such kind of bad news. That makes me really feel sick. If Allah has mercy on me He will give me the chance to fight for justice no matter how.

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
              It is not the time to feel weak or getting distanced, there is a million things to do : give money, organize events, protests, even writing a blog is also an act of ibadah since you inform people of what is going on.

Obviously I am also touched but I also have adopted a "cold" approach to the issues so that I can deal with it rationally. You dont need to watch gruesome videos 7/7, i personally believe that it is a way to get unsensitive at one point. We know what's going on, no need to stay stuck on the news
              Admirably said. I don't need to watch gruesome videos to know what's going on (unfortunately this has not stopped me from watching them anyway sometimes...), but I do know what's going on and I can still donate and make du`aa as well as plan to do other things in service of the religion in general. If we work on fixing ourselves and those around us, we create more people who care enough to also try and fix what's going on in Syria. In the end of the day, returning to Islam will solve our problems.
              والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

subhanAllah i know wat u mean sis, whenever my mum hears something on the news it depresses her so muchh. it makes me really sad wen i watch and hear this, and somehow we become afraid of watching these types of news and avoid it but subhanAllah all this destruction, innocent people murdered happens right in front of our muslim sisters and brothers eyes. subhanAllah may Allah azzawajal protect our sisters and brothers who are in need ameen. what we can do is to give charity and help them inshaAllah and make duaa for them.
                "Every soul will taste death, and you will only be given your [full] compensation on the Day of Resurrection. So he who is drawn away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise has attained [his desire]. And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion". 3:185

Comment

If you stop watching news, you will just stop ignoring the world. That isn't good.

avoid the horrific videos or articles. Start with moderate content.
                  "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

I can't watch the news and haven't been able to for 3 years, in fact I only skim-read your post because reading stuff like that causes me a lot of stress, because of PTSD from stuff when I was in Palestine and from when Gaza was bombed in 2008/9, subhanAllah.

My advice is it's probably better to nip something like this in the bud (i.e. consider whether a few sessions with a counsellor would help), because it could be that you've been traumatised by something, or it could be just general anxiety from all the horrible things going on. (with PTSD the stress comes from past events and seeing certain things/reminders in the here and now cause you to relive them, for example I would see something on the news and not see that news report at all it was like I was watching past stuff from Palestine and my mind was stuck in palestine/gaza - if the anxiety is purely at what;s going on in the here and now that's not PTSD, but if you're getting that much anxiety from it then that could be indicative of a different problem, but bear in mind that these kinds of things are truly horrible and IMO it's more abnormal to feel no anxiety at seeing those kinds of things!!)

BTW you don't need to actually experience those things yourself to get traumatised by them, witnessing stuff is enough or if horrible stuff is happening to people close to you and you know about it (even if you don't directly witness it) can be very traumatising, and if you're very sensitive/empathetic you're more likely to be traumatised by other people's suffering. I wasn't in Gaza when the bombing happened, but I have a few friends there and I heard most of the stuff about it directly from them, (including 5 deaths within the 1st day of friends/family of friends, subhanAllah (don't remember much of anything after that either, subhanAllah)), plus I already had PTSD from when I was in Palestine a few years before (that seemed to suddenly come out of nowhere shortly before Gaza was bombed, but after doing counselling and talking about all of it I realised that I'd had a low level of PTSD symptoms since returning from Palestine and they'd slowly built up over time, to the point that I was having flashbacks and extreme anxiety before Gaza was even bombed (and it got a lot worse after that!!!!) subhanAllah ................. that's why IMO anything like this, whether it's technially speaking PTSD or some other anxiety/panic related problem, it's way better to nip it in the bud inshaAllah)

http://www.sakoon.co.uk/index.html
                    <--- helped me a LOT, alhamdulillah, I'm way better than I was alhamdulillah, although I'm still not up to watching the news etc.
                    Last edited by dhak1yya; 29-05-12, 09:50 PM.
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

PTSD from news, that's an interesting idea. Yeah I really hate violence acted out in movies myself (I hate movies in general), because it just reminds me of what our siblings in Islam go through back home. Not only that, but my utter hatred for movies is also because I see them desensitize the populace here with these new and "innovative" ways to just inflict violence and pain upon others (and more than that) through this filthy medium, then they send them off to our countries with this garbage and sinister upbringing.

May Allah curse these movies and those who make them, most of them jews, the experts on spreading fasad in the land.

How this relates to the above post, I'm saying all this is called up within me even when I hear or pass by this sc.um being played somewhere.
                      والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Originally posted by علي View Post
                        PTSD from news, that's an interesting idea. Yeah I really hate violence acted out in movies myself (I hate movies in general), because it just reminds me of what our siblings in Islam go through back home. Not only that, but my utter hatred for movies is also because I see them desensitize the populace here with these new and "innovative" ways to just inflict violence and pain upon others (and more than that) through this filthy medium, then they send them off to our countries with this garbage and sinister upbringing.

May Allah curse these movies and those who make them, most of them jews, the experts on spreading fasad in the land.
                        I didn't get it from watching the news, the news triggered symptoms. That's not the same thing at all.

And I'm not attempting to diagnose the OP either, I'm not a doctor. However anything that is causing anxiety etc it's better to get help or it sooner rather than later as it can get progressively worse over time, and if someone had explained that to me 7 years ago........... well subhanAllah!!!!!! I wish someone had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (my counsellor even said she thinks I'd have benefitted a lot from a few sessions after I returned from palestine, rather than letting it get to the point it did when I finally got help) anyway what befalls us could never have missed us....
                        Last edited by dhak1yya; 29-05-12, 09:57 PM.
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
                          I didn't get it from watching the news, the news triggered symptoms. That's not the same thing.
                          Oh yeah, I see you said it's indicative of some other problem. My bad.

My point was though that what one sees can indeed have a lasting effect as you said, and it can affect one's views of things, like movies for instance.

Comment

my husband started to watch a horror movie yesterday, I told him if i wanted to see horror i would watch the news. Is that what you mean?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                            (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
                              my husband started to watch a horror movie yesterday, I told him if i wanted to see horror i would watch the news. Is that what you mean?
                              Not really. I guess what I'm saying is, one reaches the point where they're so sick of the depravity in reality and they're so bothered by it that, even watching it being acted out somewhere makes them think back to what's actually going on, which in turn fills them with anger, sorrow, what have you. And to think some people watch this for "entertainment".

Comment

Working...
                              X