Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does colourful cardigans/jumpers attracts attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does colourful cardigans/jumpers attracts attention?

Asslamualaikum wa rahmutallahi wa barakatuhu i don't know if this might sound silly or stupid (sorry if it does..) but does it really??

i would like to know if i can wear colourful cardigans and jumpers on top of my abaya? im worried that im attracting attention because of the non black cardigans i wear everyday outside. So im thinking that i should start buying only black cardigans/jumpers. Before i used to wear colourful and flowery hijabs and wear it with my abaya but then i learnt that you shouldn't wear colourful clothes/hijabs that attracts attention from non-mahram. So now i wear all black outside everyday black hijab, black abaya, black shoes and a cardigan thats not black.. so shall i stop wearing colourful cardigans and start buyingg only black coat and cardigans that has no designs?? my cardigans colours are like cream, light and dark grey, brown, caramel, purple ect. Its pretty cold in London, need to wear something on topp

jazakAllah khaiir

"Every soul will taste death, and you will only be given your [full] compensation on the Day of Resurrection. So he who is drawn away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise has attained [his desire]. And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion". 3:185

Re: Does colourful cardigans/jumpers attracts attention?

Doesnt mean you have to only wear black, but bright, not colourful attracts attention...

Comment

When I was in England I never wore a back head scarf I got told it was Pakistani thing and that it means that the husband has told you to wear it or summet like that..... come to think of it I think they were chatting bubbles.
      ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
        When I was in England I never wore a back head scarf I got told it was Pakistani thing and that it means that the husband has told you to wear it or summet like that..... come to think of it I think they were chatting bubbles.
        where about in englandd?? ahh mashaAlllah youre in a beautiful country now saudi arabiiaa :love: ahh lol pakistani ha noo. im pakistaniii. yepp they were chatting bubbles. now im just sticking to wear only black cardigans and coats, i dont want to attract attention from non mahram -.-
        "Every soul will taste death, and you will only be given your [full] compensation on the Day of Resurrection. So he who is drawn away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise has attained [his desire]. And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion". 3:185

Comment

:wswrwb:

Solid colors like all gray or all navy blur or all dark brown, shouldn't attract any more attention than all black (at least, not to me =/).

But, anyways, black is the safest, I guess.
          Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
          - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Is it haraam for a woman to wear coloured clothes even if it fulfils the conditions of hijab? If it is haraam, then is there a hadeeth or verse to prove that? What is meant by saying it should not be an adornment in itself?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The conditions of the hijab of the Muslim woman have already been explained in the answer to question no. 6991.

It is not one of these conditions that it should be black. A woman may wear whatever she wants, so long as she does not wear a colour that is only for men , and she does not wear a garment that is an adornment in itself, i.e., decorated and adorned in such a way that it attracts the gaze of men, because of the general meaning of the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“…and not to show off their adornment…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

This general meaning includes the outer garment, if it is decorated. Abu Dawood (565) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not prevent the female slaves of Allaah from attending the mosques of Allaah, but let them go out unadorned.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 515.

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood:

“ ‘Unadorned’ means not wearing perfume… they are commanded to go out like this and are forbidden to wear perfume lest they provoke men’s desires with their perfume. That also includes other things which are forbidden because they provoke desire, such as beautiful clothing and visible and expensive adornment.”

What a woman must do if she appears before non-mahram men is to avoid clothes that are decorated and adorned, which attract the gaze of men.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/100):

It is not permissible for a woman to go out in a decorated garment that attracts people’s gaze, because this is something that tempts men.

It also says (17/108):

The dress of the Muslim woman need not only be black. It is permissible for her to wear any colour of clothing so long as it covers her ‘awrah, does not resemble men’s clothing, and is not so tight as to show the shape of her limbs or so thin as to show what is beneath it, and does not provoke temptation.

And it says (17/109):

Wearing black for women is not a must. They may wear other colours that are worn only by women, do not attract attention and do not provoke desire.

Many women choose to wear black, not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment. There are reports which indicate that the women of the Sahaabah used to wear black. Abu Dawood (4101) narrated that Umm Salamah said: “When the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ [al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning] were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of their garments.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The Standing Committee (17/110) said: This is to be understood as meaning that those clothes were black in colour.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Comment

:wswrwb:

The below is why a lot of Muslimahs wear black, its an obvious reason. But like the article details, it comes down to not dressing up in a way that will get you the wrong kind of attention. If you have been to colleges and universities you will be able to make this distinction from mere observation; dressing simply in any colour that is not too bright and out there is normal, but then you spot some who wear scarves and clothes that your eyes are instantly drawn to due to how bright and made up they are. In the end, you usually know within yourself when you're doing something wrong, so your own conscience is often a good judge on these simple matters.

Around here, its normal for Sisters to wear a black abaya/jilbab and a coloured cardigan and scarf. I don't think this stands out.

Originally posted by SeekingIhsan View Post
              Many women choose to wear black, not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment. There are reports which indicate that the women of the Sahaabah used to wear black. Abu Dawood (4101) narrated that Umm Salamah said: “When the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ [al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning] were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of their garments.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The Standing Committee (17/110) said: This is to be understood as meaning that those clothes were black in colour.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
              Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
              O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
              We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

jazakAllah khairr for alll your repliess, may Allah reward u alll ameeen. i dont know im just going to stick to wearing all black cardigans/jumpers/coats wearing different colour cardigans it just makes u noticeable but in black not really noticeable..
                Last edited by safzis; 18-05-12, 05:49 PM. Reason: ..

Comment

Oh, and we're not supposed to say :insha: after making Dua'a. Just saying.
                  Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                    Oh, and we're not supposed to say :insha: after making Dua'a. Just saying.
                    ohh realllyy i didnt knoww sorryyy, okay next time i wontt.. inshaAllah

Comment

The Prophet [] said: “Let not any one of you say, ‘O Allaah, forgive me if You will, O Allaah, have mercy on me if You will.’ Let him be resolute in the matter, whilst knowing that no one can compel Allaah to do anything.” [Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim]

Comment

Wearing all black seems rather depressing.
                        My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
                        ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
                        “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

My opinion is that it depends on your intentions. Are you wearing these colors with the desire to be looked at? if so, that is the exact opposite of modesty. So long as whatever it is you want to wear is modest and you're wearing it without the desire to be looked at, I say go for it. It's not a sin to want to look nice, but remember, we should dress this way for Allah's pleasure-- not for high fives from our peers
                          "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
                            Wearing all black seems rather depressing.
                            I agree I don't want to wear dark clothes all the time, just seems boring. There are colours other then dark that isn't attention seeking.

Comment

Originally posted by drac16 View Post
                              My opinion is that it depends on your intentions. Are you wearing these colors with the desire to be looked at? if so, that is the exact opposite of modesty. So long as whatever it is you want to wear is modest and you're wearing it without the desire to be looked at, I say go for it. It's not a sin to want to look nice, but remember, we should dress this way for Allah's pleasure-- not for high fives from our peers
                              yepp thats why im wearing it :) but yeah overall wat u said its true depends on the intention. jazakAllah khair for your reply
                              Last edited by safzis; 18-05-12, 11:38 PM. Reason: -.-

Comment

Working...
                              X