Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good Deeds for the Community thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Deeds for the Community thread.

:salams

This is a topic for giving good ideas on good deeds one can do for the community. Islam is not just a religion of rituals and prayer, it is a religion of action and accomplishment. So what can we do to act more?

Provide ideas and examples of good things one can do. It can be anything, big and small. It doesn't have to be something you do personally or have done, it is the idea that counts so we can benefit and use it.

I'll start with one idea good deed:

Sharing nice food you cooked with the neighbor(s).

What would be even more awesome is if someone can even give tips on how to start doing these things. Maybe you don't have an idea of a good deed at the moment, give tips on a previously posted one! What if I don't know my neighbors except in passing, do I just knock on their doors? And what do I say? Tips from anyone who tried it would be helpful to all those reading. So give ideas and tips, and be generous!

Have at it!
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Re: The Good Deeds for the Community thread.

Walikum Asalaam

Subhanallah what a wonderful topic :D

Our Elders and the Old Folk of the community we live in. They have gardens that need weeding, lawns that need mowing.......

Comment

Beautiful thread masha`Allah

It gets really hot during summer time , we can give water for free to the workers.
      Jannah is my aim

Comment

Good idea. To give importance to and help the deprived ones (are of low status, poor, labors,...etc) who are usually ignored by the community. To pay attention to them and say greetings to them with a smile whenever we pass by them.

Also to do a survey of our room once in a while to separate those things that we don't usually need in our daily life and are lying there in our rooms for years, but can be of great service to the needy and poor people. May Allah subhana wa'ta'aala guide us all.
        Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

Comment

:wswrwb:

Good thread MashaAllah

Stop back biting, slandering, gossiping, lying.

Stopping the bad is just as important as encouraging the good.
          وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

As Muslims if we follow Quran and Sunnah and devote our hearts and minds to Islam......then inshaa Allah we can all be shining beacons if light within our communities.

Comment

Volunteer to teach the reading of the book of Allah Taala to youngsters, and adults in the neighbourhood. If adults cannot make it to your place, make it easy for them by going to their place even if it's for a short time. With the correct intentions, sadaqah jaariyah, inshaAllah
              Shukr to Allah in abundance...

Comment

Matchmake :inlove:

Make marriage easy and help to remove all the nonsense associated with it.

Donate food to the homeless shelter

Sit on governing bodies for schools

Take old people to hospital or Dr appointments

Visit the sick

Sweep the path directly outside your home

Send food for iftaar during Ramadan to the mosque

Make dua for everyone

Welcome new families to the area
                وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Very nice suggestions guys, if you can offer step by step guides or tips that's really encouraging, unless they're so easy it's self explanatory. I have a couple more myself of this kind:

Sometimes the bottles on that shelf of perfumes at the masjid aren't of the best quality. Buy a really nice bottle of some fine scented oil and plop it on there!

Left that bread out for too long and now it's hard as a rock? I'm sure the birds outside would love to have some, or maybe you can take the kids for a walk to the local pond and feed the ducks with it, better than letting it go to waste.

If you see mom hunched over the dishes, tell her to sit down and have a cup of tea while you take over. Better yet, make her the tea yourself first! But make sure it's not too late in the evening for tea.

This one's really good:

See someone you don't know at the masjid? Won't hurt for you to say salams to them, and with a smile too.
                  والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Good thread mashaAllah! :up:

Originally posted by علي View Post

What would be even more awesome is if someone can even give tips on how to start doing these things. Maybe you don't have an idea of a good deed at the moment, give tips on a previously posted one! What if I don't know my neighbors except in passing, do I just knock on their doors? And what do I say? Tips from anyone who tried it would be helpful to all those reading. So give ideas and tips, and be generous!

Have at it!
                    My neighbors are all Muslims alhamdulillah, so we know each other. My family always gives food from time to time, my mother would just go to their houses, knock the doors and give it to them. Sometimes we would call them first and let them know that we are coming and we have something for them. It's easy because everyone here always do that, exchanging food and stuff. We used to have non-Muslim neighbours living a couple of houses away, my father would chat with them whenever he bumps into them, like at the wet market or the grocery store. That's how it usually started. We used to have this huge mango tree, and my father would give away the fruits to our neighbours. My non-Muslim neighbours love it! We received a huge box of mandarin orange during Chinese New Year in return :o

A couple of things to remember when giving food to neighbours, make sure you don't just go to one house, because other neighbours might see it and wonder why you didn't give it to them as well. So make the right niyyah and cook some extra food to give to more than just one neighbour.

Left that bread out for too long and now it's hard as a rock? I'm sure the birds outside would love to have some, or maybe you can take the kids for a walk to the local pond and feed the ducks with it, better than letting it go to waste.
                    Ooooh this is a good one. Never thought of that before. And also if you plant some sort of vegetables or fruits, why not leave some on the tree, so that animals (birds, insects, etc.) could benefit from it? We used to have a papaya tree, and my mother would leave some papayas on the tree to ripe so that birds could feed from it.

Keep the playground clean (if you have one in your area). Make sure everything is safe for the kids, check if there's anything to be fixed.

Help clean the mosque. Wash the prayer mats/prayer clothes. Arrange the books and kitabs. Don't just rely on the committee to maintain the place, if we see something that we can do then just do it.
                    Last edited by geeksupremo; 21-04-12, 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Asalamu Alaikum,

I think if you have a local prison near you then the brothers should definitely try to visit or attend the friday khutbah once a month. Many brothers in prison need help with regards to their iman and just visiting and interacting with them is definitely an imaan booster.

Comment

Originally posted by Excuse_me View Post
                        Asalamu Alaikum,

I think if you have a local prison near you then the brothers should definitely try to visit or attend the friday khutbah once a month. Many brothers in prison need help with regards to their iman and just visiting and interacting with them is definitely an imaan booster.

That's a good one. Bring them some Islamic/motivational books as well.

The same with orphanage. SubhanaAllah imagine how happy they would feel if people come and visit them, donate some toys/clothes/books and just spend some time with them. I think that would really make their day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim70 View Post
                          Our Elders and the Old Folk of the community we live in. They have gardens that need weeding, lawns that need mowing.......
                          I really like this idea, I have fond memories of when I used to mow the lawn when living with the family. The trouble is I need a way to go about doing this, I don't have a car big enough to fit a lawn mower and I don't even have a lawn mower because I live in an apartment with no lawn.

What I'm going to do insha Allah is ask either the people in the Masjid or some really well informed members of the community if they know people who need this service and if they know anyone who can let us borrow their equipment. I'm sure I can find a friend or two to do this with insha Allah.

Need more ideas guys, and offer tips about the process if you can. Special thanks to geeksupremo for giving tips on how to share food with the neighbors!

Comment

I really like this idea, I have fond memories of when I used to mow the lawn when living with the family. The trouble is I need a way to go about doing this, I don't have a car big enough to fit a lawn mower and I don't even have a lawn mower because I live in an apartment with no lawn.

What I'm going to do insha Allah is ask either the people in the Masjid or some really well informed members of the community if they know people who need this service and if they know anyone who can let us borrow their equipment. I'm sure I can find a friend or two to do this with insha Allah.

Need more ideas guys, and offer tips about the process if you can. Special thanks to geeksupremo for giving tips on how to share food with the neighbors!
                            If they have a lawn, they probably also have a lawn mower. They may just be too weak to use it.
                            Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

What comes into my mind is a little more long term. When you have children, make a sincere intention to Allah to devote your kids in His service. Then look for opportunities to follow through, giving your kids a good Islamic education, having them memorize Quran, train them to think of ways of serving the community. I think this day and age we need more knowledge and organization in our communities. Each person who has a skill, should think of a way to utilize their skill to benefit the community. I want to continue to seek Islamic knowledge and knowledge about health and personal development so I can counsel people going through difficulties physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Everyone has something they are good at, we just need to develop it then be willing to volunteer our services. Not just in giving our material things and time, but our organizational skills in starting new projects and motivating people to keep it up.
                              Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X