No announcement yet.

What can you do? (Halal and Haram food)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you do? (Halal and Haram food)

Salamu Aleikom!

Well for a long time ive always watched products such as candy if they contained gelatine or so, because i know its haram.

but several days ago i saw haram and halal food on the internet, like E-codes etc.
    Today i bought a kit kat and a magnum ice cream, when i came home i wanted to look up if these were haram or not i have never even heard that chocolates or ice creams are haram nor by my parents or by my relatives, i have never looked up if ice creams or chocolates were haram but today when i bought them i searched the internet for like 5 hours to see if kit kat was haram or not, well just now i ate it up.

Is all muslims like this? i mean if you go to a supermarket do you look at the ingredients for example at chocolate bars, ice creams or cereals etcetc.?

Ive heard that animal rennet is haram, gelatine and pig but never heard that ice cream was.

Thank you.

Re: What can you do? (Halal and Haram food)

What can you do? Wa-Salam
    If you have been told that the product is halal than inquire no further as you have been told
    If it given to you than do not ask halal or haram due to the hadith

That we receive their meat and we don't know if it has been slaughtered properly or not. In this case the rule of thumb is that if we don't know the way of slaughter, the default is that it is permitted if it has been slaughtered by Muslims or Ahl il-Kitaab (Fatawa Islamiyya, Sheikh Abdel-Aziz Bin Baz, 3/404), as per the generally encompassing ayah (interpretation of the meaning) "and the food of the people to whom have been revealed the Book is permitted for you." (al-Maa'ida:5) If it becomes evident to us that they have not slaughtered it properly then it would not be permisible.

(The food of the People of the Scripture is lawful to you..) meaning, their slaughtered animals, as Ibn `Abbas, Abu Umamah, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr, `Ikrimah, `Ata', Al-Hasan, Makhul, Ibrahim An-Nakha`i, As-Suddi and Muqatil bin Hayyan stated. This ruling, that the slaughtered animals of the People of the Book are permissible for Muslims, is agreed on by the scholars, because the People of the Book believe that slaughtering for other than Allah is prohibited. They mention Allah's Name upon slaughtering their animals, even though they have deviant beliefs about Allah that do not befit His majesty. It is recorded in the Sahih that `Abdullah bin Mughaffal said, "While we were attacking the fort of Khaybar, a person threw a leather bag containing fat, and I ran to take it and said, `I will not give anyone anything from this container today.' But when I turned I saw the Prophet (standing behind) while smiling.'' The scholars rely on this Hadith as evidence that we are allowed to eat what we need of foods from the booty before it is divided. The scholars of the Hanafi, the Shafi`i and the Hanbali Madhhabs rely on this Hadith to allow eating parts of the slaughtered animals of the Jews that they prohibit for themselves, such as the fat. They used this Hadith as evidence against the scholars of the Maliki Madhhab who disagreed with this ruling. A better proof is the Hadith recorded in the Sahih that the people of Khaybar gave the Prophet a gift of a roasted leg of sheep, which they poisoned. The Prophet used to like eating the leg of the sheep and he took a bite from it, but it told the Prophet that it was poisoned, so he discarded that bite. The bite that the Prophet took effected the palate of his mouth, while Bishr bin Al-Bara' bin Ma`rur died from eating from that sheep. The Prophet had the Jewish woman, Zaynab, who poisoned the sheep, killed. Therefore, the Prophet and his Companions wanted to eat from that sheep and did not ask the Jews if they removed what the Jews believed was prohibited for them, such as its fat. Allah's statement,

Do not sit idle, for indeed death is seeking you.

Al Hasan Al Basre [RA]

Comment

Sum1 needs to makea thread on ahlul kitab

Al Hasan Al Basre [RA]

Comment

Walaykum Assalam!!

I'm sure most Muslims will look at the ingredients of food products before buying them because I'm pretty sure I do. Ice cream isn't haraam? Where did u get that from? O_o
        إن للمتقين مفازا

Comment

i think ive been brainwashed by google search lol.

But lol, idk i think (magnum) ice cream contains some ingredients that are haram.

Comment

Read my post akhi

and sprinkles some is my link in there proves it

Al Hasan Al Basre [RA]

Comment

My philosophy is simple, try your best to ascertain whether something is halal or not. Ask other people as well. Don't always rely in the Internet. Don't make it your life's raison d'etre.

Spending too much time on this activity, that's the type of things Jews would do. Islam is supposed to be simple not complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sprinkles View Post
                Walaykum Assalam!!

I'm sure most Muslims will look at the ingredients of food products before buying them because I'm pretty sure I do. Ice cream isn't haraam? Where did u get that from? O_o
                Some ice cream should be avoided due to some ingredient that is derived from animal being present or alcohol.

Comment

If it's vegetarian/vegan and doesn't contain alcohol= halal.

If it's a fish product and doesn't contain alcohol or other meat derivatives= halal.

If it's says it's halal= halal.

It's says it's kosher and there's no alcohol= I have no issues with it personally, but some people do...to me= halal.

That's the simple rules I live by when buying groceries.

Different rules may apply at restaurants.
                  "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

i agree with misfizzy. If the product says suitable for vegetarians (and doesn't contain alcohol) then I assume it is halal, but I have noticed some products you would expect to be vegetarian are not. Icecream normally should be made with vegetarian ingredients (milk, eggs, sugar, cream etc) and yet I notice that a number of icecream brands in the shops do not have vegetarian labels on them and have to ask myself why? I heard somewhere that they contain gelatine. I don't know if that's true as I haven't checked the labels but if something does not have a vegetarian label on it (and it is not a fish/sea food) then I would avoid buying it. Alhamdullilah icecreams and lollies are really not difficult to make at home anyway.

Another product I noticed is on the crisps aisle, a lot of those products are not suitable for vegetarians either and I don't just mean the beef flavoured ones. The mini poppadoms in the crisp section are not vegetarian, square crisps in some shops are not labelled vegetarian and the only ingredient that is not vegetarian on there is an E number- even though these are ready salted. The flavoured crisps are worse, I heard doritos don't use a vegetarian label because their flavouring also contains some animal product BUT their plain "dorito dippers" are vegetarian because the animal product goes in the added flavouring and those don't contain added flavourings cos' they're meant to be dipped in salsa or other dips for flavour (and they taste great!).

Even aside from the halal haram rule, it just goes to show that a lot of our food on the supermarket shelves is not how it seems and how important it is to have our food as much home made as possible so that we know what we put into our bodies (cos' even if some E number is not from an animal product, it might still do a lot of damage to your health).
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Salam,
                      See if there is a halal food authority in your country that puts out a list of halal and haram products, and try to buy items from the halal list

Comment

hey guys, is animal rennet haram if the anmal is halal but not slaughtered Islamically?

because im pretty sure Sheikh Yasir Qadhi had a fatwa saying it was halal, what do other sheikhs say about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Salam94 View Post
                          hey guys, is animal rennet haram if the anmal is halal but not slaughtered Islamically?

because im pretty sure Sheikh Yasir Qadhi had a fatwa saying it was halal, what do other sheikhs say about it?
                          If the animal wasn't slaughtered by a Muslim or the People of the Book then how could it be permissible to eat it? We can't just eat any type of meat that is sold at local grocery stores due to the questionable slaughtering. Plus America doesn't follow any specific religious law like Israel or Muslim countries when it comes to slaughtering. Any animal that is not slaughtered by a Muslim or the people of the book should according to their religious law should be avoided.

Here is a fatwa worth reading: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Salam94 View Post

Is the cheese halaal if it is made from enzymes taken from haraam meat (not slaughtered according to shariah) as the enzymes still live beyond the animal's life time i.e the enzyme does not die when the animal is killed.

Praise be to Allaah.

Before answering this question, it is important to know what rennet is.

Al-Fayroozabaadi said in al-Qaamoos al-Muheet (p. 313), under the definition of na fa ha: al-infahah and al-minfahah and al-binfahah all refer to something yellow that is extracted from the stomachs of suckling goat kids.

Infahah (rennet) was also defined in al-Mawsoo'ah al-Fiqhiyyah as follows: "It is a yellowish-white substance ([in a skin vessel] - this phrase appears not to fit here) that is extracted from the stomachs of suckling kids or lambs. When a little of this substance is added to milk, it curdles and becomes cheese. In some Arabic-speaking regions, people call this rennet mujabbinah (cheese-maker), and the stomach (from which the rennet is taken) is called kursh if the animal grazes on grass.

The Islamic ruling concerning rennet is that if it is taken from an animal that has been slaughtered according to sharee'ah, then it is pure (taahir) and can be eaten. This is according to the Hanafis, Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis.

As regards eating rennet taken from an animal that dies naturally, or that was not slaughtered in accordance with sharee'ah, according to the apparent meaning of the opinions reported from the majority of scholars among the Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis have said, it is impure (naajis) and should not be eaten. They base this ruling on the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): "Forbidden to you for food) are: al-maytatah (dead animals - cattle-beast not slaughtered)…" [al-Maa;idah 5:3] - the rennet becomes impure by virtue of the animal's death, and it is not possible to remove that impurity from it. [next phrase is unclear]

Imaam al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo' (9/68): "The ummah is agreed that it is permissible to eat cheese so long as it is not mixed with anything impure, such as adding rennet from a source that is not halaal because it was not slaughtered according to sharee'ah. This ijmaa' (scholarly consensus) is the evidence for its permissibility."

The second view, which is that of Abu Haneefah and is one of two opinions narrated from Imaam Ahmad, is that rennet from dead animals or animals that were not slaughtered according to sharee'ah is still taahir (pure). This is the opinion which Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah thought most correct in al-Fataawaa (21/102), where he said: "It is more likely that their (the Zoroastrians') cheese is halaal, and that the rennet and milk of dead animals is taahir (pure)." Elsewhere in al-Fataawaa (35/154) he said: "With regard to the cheese made with their (some of the kaafir Baatini groups') rennet, there are two well-known scholarly opinions, as is the case with the rennet from animals slaughtered by the Zoroastrians and Christians, and rennet from dead animals, of whom it is said that they do not slaughter their animals properly. The schools of Abu Haneefah and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, say that this cheese is halaal, because the rennet taken from dead animals is taahir (pure), according to this view, and because the (enzymes in) rennet do not die when the animal dies (so, the concept "impure containers don't cause the contents of the container to become impure by contact" ) applies. The schools of Maalik, al-Shaafa'i and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, state that this cheese is naajis (impure), because the rennet is impure according to this view, as they see the milk and rennet of dead animals as impure. In cases where meat is classified as impure because it is not slaughtered properly, the meat is regarded as being the same as dead meat. Both opinions are based on reports narrated from the Sahaabah. The first group states that the Sahaabah used to eat the cheese of the Zoroastrians, while the second group state that the Sahaabah used to eat what they thought was the cheese of the Christians. With regard to this issue, the follower (ordinary Muslim) must follow an 'aalim who advises him to follow either of these two opinions.

Islam Q&A
                            Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
                            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

avoid E471 unless it says E471 and soya lethicin after it, as otherwise it will be lethicin which is from animal fat, also avoid E422 glycerin from animal fat, and E120 crushed beatles which is used to make food pink. always check the label when buying anything.
                              "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X