Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a miswak? How do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a miswak? How do you use it?

Salaam brothers and sisters, I was wondering how people use their miswak, and wanted to know what is the correct way of using it.
    With my miswak I tear of the bark and leave the soft core and make the tip bristly like a tooth brush. But the problem is after using it for a couple of days it doesn't have the soury taste. I cut of the part I used to brush my teeth the following day and redid the procedure. This time I can smell it and only very slightly taste it. Is it supposed to have a strong taste? Or am I using the miswak the correct sunnah way? jazakallah

Re: Do you have a miswak? How do you use it?

Originally posted by xplosiv3s View Post
    Salaam brothers and sisters, I was wondering how people use their miswak, and wanted to know what is the correct way of using it.
    With my miswak I tear of the bark and leave the soft core and make the tip bristly like a tooth brush. But the problem is after using it for a couple of days it doesn't have the soury taste. I cut of the part I used to brush my teeth the following day and redid the procedure. This time I can smell it and only very slightly taste it. Is it supposed to have a strong taste? Or am I using the miswak the correct sunnah way? jazakallah
    :wswrwb:

As far as I'm aware, try to brush your teeth from right to left (that's whether you're using a Miswaak or an ordinary toothbrush). With the Miswaak though, as you've mentioned, one has to constantly 'trim' it down so it's fresh more or less everytime. This is why you should have a few spare in case you run out quickly.

Also, those new to this, make sure you don't press too hard against your teeth or gums; you can bleed fairly easily and it can be quite uncomfortable.

Once the tip of the Miswaak is nice and soft, then you can use it :)

BTW, not too sure about the 'taste'. At first (when new), there would be some 'flavour' but prolonged use of the Miswaak (i.e the constant running of it under water as well as the use of it), it's inevitable that that should fade in time.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

jazakallah!

Comment

Recommended methods:

'It is desirable to hold it with the right hand by putting the little finger under it, and the three other fingers on top of it, and the thumb under the head of the Miswaak, as reported by Ibn Mas'ood, may Allaah be pleased with him.'

Another method is mentioned by the Maaliki school: 'It should be held with the right hand by putting the thumb under the stick, and the index on top of it, and the three remaining fingers underneath it.'

Comment

I do actually, thanks for reminding me as I haven't used it in a while, time to get it out and revive a Sunnah IA

Saying that it reminds me of a story, where the Sahaba went to battle but they couldn't get into a fort for some reason after several days, so the ameer said we are lacking something, so they decided to check their amaals and on doing so, they found that they missed miswaak, so he gave the order to a few people to climb up trees and cut some, when the enemy saw it, they thought the muslims were mad and were that hungry that they would eat anything, some ran away and most surrendered :D Subhannalah eh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X