Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting for self-control & missed fasts

Assalamualaikum,

I know that we are reason for fasting is for the sake of Allah swt. What if we find ourselves fasting for Allah swt in addition to other reasons? I still have fasts that I have to make up from ones that I missed previously (I'm a sister). I've found that recently I'm quite lacking in focus, self-control, and generally well..almost ADD like. I'm a university student but I just get so distracted with the computer..sometimes it's not even facebook or youtube, it's just that I'll suddenly be curious about something totally random and find myself on the internet for hours. And if it's not the internet, I find myself looking through (non-school) books, or memorabilia or whatnot. To be honest, sometimes I really strongly dislike myself and am very frustrated at myself for getting distracted, using my time inefficiently, and time and time again finding myself unbearably stressed the few days before that exam or paper is due. I miss how diligent I used to be. I lose focus very quickly...I'll be working on a paper and then just a few minutes into it, I start thinking about..oh yeah, that Master's program I'm interested in..I should go check it out (<--just one example of my many distractions) ..and then find myself looking into this for an hour or more and I'm still at square one with my paper. Can I fast with the additional intention of gaining back my self-control? Or if I fear that this intention will surpass my intention for doing it for the sake of Allah swt...then what?? My fasts won't count right? Then what should I do? And what about those that also fast (in addition to doing it for the sake of Allah swt) to lose weight?

Also...if we have fasts we missed from years ago..what exactly do we have to do? I heard that in addition to making up for the missed fasts, that we also have to pay for/feed a certain amount of people or something like that??

I know that you sisters and brothers don't know me..but also, if you can make d'ua for me for my academic career, focus, and self-control, that would be great. I've been away from my home institution for a year and half and I guess that has taken a toll on me. That's why I thought that fasting might help...

Re: Fasting for self-control &amp; missed fasts

:wswrwb:

How sure are you that fasting will help you focus on your studies? I mean, I don't see the correlation here.

But, if it helps, maybe you can fast on Mondays and Thursdays as this is the Sunnah.

As for missed fast, how many years ago were they? And are you talking about obligatory fasts or some other?

May Allah make it easy on you, grant you success in this world and the next.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Re: Fasting for self-control &amp; missed fasts

If you make it your main priority to fast for Allah sake then Insha Allah , Allah will accept it from you . If you do something halal to gain Allah pleasure I'm certain that they are others benefits that comes with it .

As for your studies I also have moments such as these in which I don't want to study or do the assignment so your not alone . I think it would help if you knew your learning style so Insha Allah you can do some research on that . Have you noticed when you are most alert ? If you think back to your school days what was it you did when you wanted to study ? Was it with a partner , at the library or at home ? Was it after fajr , at lunchtime , in the evening or at midnight ?

So find out your learning style ; When you are most alert and Where your most focused .
      [COLOR="#800080"]You are saying," I belong to Allaah as a servant and I am going to return to Him". So whoever knows that he belongs to Allaah as a servant and that he will return to Him, then he should know that he will be stopped. And whoever knows that he will be stopped, then he should know that he will be questioned. And whoever knows that he will be questioned, then let him prepare an answer for the question.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X