Are Islamic schools any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Islamic schools any good?

So, we plan on moving to this area in the city in order to send my sister to Islamic school rather then a western middle school. I don't know what happens in Islamic schools, but anyone mind enlightening me.
    Last edited by AFGMAN; 04-04-12, 02:57 AM.
    My service is to only the ummah.

Re: Are Islamic schools any good?

It depends entirely on which school it is.

But compared to state schools, there are many advantages.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Comment

Alhumdulillah, my kids have come on in leaps and bounds in their studies and behaviour since moving to an Islamic school. I would highly recommend it for all Muslim children. It is has definitely helped to surround them with other young Muslims and good teacher role models, where the Islamic dress code is enforced and they are taught in a single gender environment. It depends on the school, but typically they split secular and Islamic education about 50/50 with a big emphasis on memorisation and tajweed. Discipline is much stricter than western schools so behaviour in the class is generally very good, ensuring that not only do they learn much faster, but they have better manners insha'allah.
      Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

an Islamic school is way better for your sis, less people exposing skin (guys and girls), less freemixing, she get's to learn her deen and be amongst muslims, she can make friends and your parents wont have to worry as much (ya know, who's she hanging out with, what's she doing), there's usually uniform so she won't have to stress about what to wear every morning, she can have islamic intellectuals to look up to rather than aethiest teachers who usually, slyly find a way to belittle religion and try to plant doubt in youngsters' minds, Unislamic behaiviour won't be tolerated, enviornments waaay better i could go on but you get the picture...

the pro's definitely outweigh the cons
        Fall down 7 times, stand up 8 :up: :boom: :bang:

Comment

What I realised is that some parents send their children to islamic school because their children get into a lot of trouble and they think that the islamic school will make them become better. And these individuals usually have influence on the rest of the children in the class. Sometimes children at islamic school are worse than at normal school.
          Please Donate As Much Money As You Can To Syria:
          http://www.justgiving.com/Syria-Emergency-Relief
          http://www.justgiving.com/Syria100K

Comment

Originally posted by Shahmiah View Post
            What I realised is that some parents send their children to islamic school because their children get into a lot of trouble and they think that the islamic school will make them become better. And these individuals usually have influence on the rest of the children in the class. Sometimes children at islamic school are worse than at normal school.
            No doubt about it there's always the few bad apples, but in public schools they're the majority. What's not that big of a deal in a public high school (Finding used condoms on the staircase, pda and all that nonsense) will never be ok in an islamic school.
            Fall down 7 times, stand up 8 :up: :boom: :bang:

Comment

The problem must be at home and not necessarily at School . Many Parents are regular in their salah , sawm , zakah but lack in manners while talking to older people , youngsters , Neighbours , gossiping etc .
              Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
              deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

True, but such children should be embraced and we should welcome the fact that the parents have realised that Islam is the answer to their troubles. In my experience teachers in Islamic schools are very skilled at looking out for children that are a bad influence and know how to bring them in line very quickly.
                Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

Has anyone that posted on this thread actually gone to islamic school before? I have and i was pretty much a good boy however there was like a bunch of boys in my class that ruined everyone including myself. We used to put on a face for our parents that we were practising but then we used to do everything that students in normal school would do. Freemix, smoke, some people used to drink and smoke drugs. Some people had Lost their virginty etc.
                  Last edited by Shahmiah; 06-04-12, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Has anyone that posted on this thread actually gone to islamic school before? I have and i was pretty much a good boy however there was like a bunch of boys in my class that ruined everyone including myself. We used to put on a face for our parents that we were practising but then we used to do everything that students in normal school would do. Freemix, smoke, some people used to drink and smoke drugs. Some people had Losed their virginty etc.
                    There are exceptions everywhere may be your school is a case of mis-management .
                    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
                    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
                      There are exceptions everywhere may be your school is a case of mis-management .
                      I know about 5/6 islamic schools and I can say when I was at secondary school age they were all messed up not sure about now. Even islamic schools for girls are messed up.

Comment

i worked in an islamic school for a number of years - some points to note are make sure all the "teachers" are qualified teachers, as this was something which surprised me as some people in the school where i worked were not. Another thing to note is that because some teachers do not have experience in working with children, query the way in which disciplining is undertaken, for example something which i used to really have an issue with at the school where i worked was that of shouting and isolating - two things which i do not think work with children, and instead teaches them that issues are resolved by shouting alone. A further thing to think of what occurs after primary level education, as islamic schools are not cheap, and if there are a couple of children how then does a family afford to send the kids to secondary level schools? Most of the kids i taught ended up in the local secondary schools after going to a primary level islamic school.

A thing also to note is in relation to the home environment, i found that sometimes what was taught was not reinforced within the home, some parents seemed to be passing on the buck when it came to educating in that they themselves made no attempt to learn themselves did not practice and expected a miracle, doesnt work like that unfortunately
                        82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

Has anyone that posted on this thread actually gone to islamic school before? I have and i was pretty much a good boy however there was like a bunch of boys in my class that ruined everyone including myself. We used to put on a face for our parents that we were practising but then we used to do everything that students in normal school would do. Freemix, smoke, some people used to drink and smoke drugs. Some people had Losed their virginty etc.
                          I've had the same experience when I've worked in some Islamic schools.

Also, another problem some Islamic schools face is the fact that they hire unqualified teachers, so as a result the level of education delivered is very poor.

So, I would advise any parent to really look into the school before sending their children there. Look up OFSTED reports, league tables, talk to parents, meet staff, look up the school ethos etc etc
                          https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X