Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to achieve tranquility of the heart?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to achieve tranquility of the heart?

Part 9 :love:

Give us rest with it, Oh Bilal

Before we embark on the next stage of this journey, I want to mention two things. First, much of what you read here will not be radically new. The reason for that is that Allah (swt) has equipped us with ways to achieve tranquility of the heart, yet we seldom use them in that way. Therefore, these articles will be reminders of tools that we already have. As Allah (swt) says:

Al-Qareeb (the Near One)

1. 2:18]
    2. 34:50]
    3. 11:61]

Now imagine when you are going to the prayer, you are going to the One who understands everything you are going through. You may have just had the worst day of your life: seek refuge in your prayer, tell Allah (swt) you need His help. Perhaps you had an amazing day: use your prayer for recognition that the good was from Allah (swt) and for thanks. Perhaps it was a day like any other: use your prayer as a reminder of purpose.

An Intimate Conversation

Allahu Akbaral-Fatiha as long as you are not distracted. When you say Allahu Akbar, you are throwing away the worries of the world and fleeing to Allah (swt) who is greater than it all, and is the only One who can remove your distress. When you go into, you are demonstrating your humility before Him. And when we go into sujood, it is the closest that we are to Allah (swt). How many of us, myself included, fail to realize this?

May Allah (swt) enable us to find tranquility in our salah.

Comment

Asalaamu alaikum

Part 10 :love:

The Best Companions

Subhan Allah (glory be to God), if we start here, we could be of the people who are under the shade of Allah on the Day of Judgment, as the Prophet :saw: told us that one of the seven categories of people promised the shade of Allah are two persons who loved each other for the sake of Allah (swt), got together, and departed on this basis. [Bukhari, Muslim]

18:28)

You alone do we worship, and You alone do we seek for help

Comment

Part 11 :love:

Forgiveness :inlove:mend our broken heartsprayer is also a cleanser, as is wudhu
        25:703:13526:88-89

Comment

Part 12 :love:

Earning His Love :'(

11:11419:96Surat at-Tawbah, verses 118-119

Comment

Part 13 :love:

A Source of Healing

10:57tafseer And I am amazed at the person who is afflicted with sadness, and he does not flee to the Words of Allah:

And I am amazed at the person who is afflicted with betrayal and deception by people, and he does not flee to the Words of Allah:

And I am amazed at the person who is afflicted with sickness, and he does not flee to the Words of Allah:
            yaqeen(certainty) in this. We should also develop our relationship with the Book of Allah by trying to understand it. We should listen to tafseer and read tafseer books if we have access to them. In the age of the internet, there should be no excuse.
            To end with a of the Prophet :saw:, who said that if a person suffers anxiety or grief, they should say:

And Allah (swt) will take away their sorrow and grief and give them in their stead joy. (Ahmad)

Comment

Part 14 :love:

All you need to do is ask

“Is He [not best] who responds to the desperate one when he calls upon Him…” (Qur’an, 27:62)

For whatever problem we have, whatever difficulty we find ourselves in, we have the most powerful weapon to ward off the pain that plagues us. It is the weapon of du`a’. We know with certainty that Allah is Al-Mujeeb (The Responsive). We have read many articles telling us about the importance of du`a’, but in order for our du`a’ to be truly meaningful, we must accompany that du`a’ with a certain brokenness in the heart. This brokenness is the feeling of utter need, submission and surrender to Allah, and realizing that truly it is only He who can get us out of our state. In a beautiful hadith qudsi, Allah says:

“O My servants, I have forbidden oppression for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not oppress one another.
              O My servants, all of you are astray except for those I have guided, so seek guidance of Me and I shall guide you,
              O My servants, all of you are hungry except for those I have fed, so seek food of Me and I shall feed you.
              O My servants, all of you are naked except for those I have clothed, so seek clothing of Me and I shall clothe you.
              O My servants, you sin by night and by day, and I forgive all sins, so seek forgiveness of Me and I shall forgive you.
              O My servants, you will not attain harming Me so as to harm Me, and will not attain benefitting Me so as to benefit Me.
              O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as pious as the most pious heart of any one man of you, that would not increase My kingdom in anything.
              O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the most wicked heart of any one man of you, that would not decrease My kingdom in anything.
              O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to rise up in one place and make a request of Me, and were I to give everyone what he requested, that would not decrease what I have, any more that a needle decreases the sea if put into it.
              O My servants, it is but your deeds that I reckon up for you and then recompense you for, so let him who finds good, praise Allah, and let him who finds other than that, blame no one but himself.” (Muslim)

Subhan’Allah (exalted is Allah), this hadith requires us to read it more than once to truly grasp its meaning. In essence, Allah is telling us that everything is from Him – He possesses this whole world and all that is in it, therefore we should seek all of our needs from Him.

Allah has named Himself Al-Mujeeb, which means the One who responds. Just as we are certain that the Qur’an is true, we must be certain that Allah, Al-Mujeeb, will answer our call. We should never think that Allah will not answer, because by feeling so, we are denying this attribute (siffat) of Allah. Whenever we are feeling down, we should not hesitate to ask Him over and over again, and to go into sujood (prostration) and plead because that is the closest that we are to Him. If we realize this, the doors of mercy have been opened for us, because the Prophet :saw: said, “For whoever the door of du`a’ opened, for him the doors of mercy are opened.” (Tirmidhi).

Your du`a’ is deposited with Allah, and as was narrated from the Prophet :saw:, your du`a’ does something. Either Allah will speedily answer your du`a’ or He will save it for you until the Hereafter, or He will avert something bad equal to the value of the du`a’ (Ahmad). So we should never leave du`a’. The Prophet :saw: told us, “Do not stop making du`a’, because nobody who makes du`a’ is forsaken.” (Hakim)
              Insha’Allah, you will be answered. The Prophet :saw: said, “Verily your Lord is Generous and Shy. If His servant raises his hands to Him (in supplication) He becomes shy to return them empty.” (Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi)

Remember: our Lord is not forgetful. Sometimes you might even forget that you once made du`a’ for something, but He might give it to you years later.

No answer?

We must always have certainty that Allah answers. But sometimes doubt enters one’s heart: “…But I asked, I made du`a’... and I don’t see anything?” Firstly, just as we know that Allah is Al-Mujeeb, we must also know He is Al-Hakeem (the Most Wise).

He may delay answering your prayer for a number of reasons; one is to test your trust in Him. We all say we believe Allah is the Al-Mujeeb when everything lands at our feet, but what about when we don’t immediately see the fruits of our du`a’? I knew a woman who was telling the story of how her husband did not pray. When she married him, she didn’t know, and as the marriage progressed she discovered that he was skeptical of religion as well. So she would wake up every night for qiyam al-layl (the night prayer) and plead with Allah to guide Him. Do you know how long she prayed for? Two years. And she says it was so unexpected; he came home from a business trip with a complete change of heart. It turns out that on the plane he was seated next to a great sheikh who began talking to him. And that is how he changed.

Another reason is that Allah knows when it is best to answer. Perhaps you are asking for a job and He could give you a job at this very moment, but He will delay it because He knows that in a couple of months, a better job will come along. Perhaps what you are asking for is not good for you, or He will give you something better in the Hereafter.

Allah also may delay the answer to make us work harder so we are prepared for it. If we look at Palestine, we may think, “Wow, the Muslim Ummah prays so much and we don’t see anything changing.” But in truth, although the majority of theUmmah prays intensely during Ramadan, many do not make du`a’ with true pleading. It is almost an afterthought. And if we do (such as when we see the carnage that happened in Gaza) we do not follow up our words by utilizing the means to change the situation; we forget (as is happening now). There are some genuine people who work for change, but they are a minority. So we need to be patient because we need to know that Allah is training the Ummah. The answer is being delayed so that we become worthy of this task.

There is a beautiful hadith qudsi which states that Allah sometimes delays the answer because He loves hearing the sound of His servant (At-Tabari). Many of us would ask and then when we get what we want we stop going to Allah; but imagine that when the answer is delayed, Allah loves to hear YOUR voice again as you call Him. Wow.

Allah does not place a burden on us greater than we can bear. If the answer to your du`a’ has been delayed, it’s because Allah KNOWS you can handle it. He tests those whom He loves, so keep asking and remember that Allah makes with hardship ease. And remember, as with tawakkul, we need to exert effort as well.

Four conditions
              Ibn Al-Qayyim said he who fulfills the following conditions should know that Allah will surely answer his du`a’:
              1. Have certainty that Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala will answer your du`a’. The Prophet ﷺ said, ”Ask Allah with certainty that He will answer your prayers.” (Tirmidhi)
              2. Show submissiveness and devotion during your du`a’. The Prophet :saw: said, ‘Know that Allah will not accept the supplication from an absent heart.’ (Tirmidhi)
              3. Be patient and do not hasten for an answer. The Prophet :saw: said: ‘The du`a’ of any worshipper will continue to be responded to, as long as… he is not hasty’ i.e. as long as he doesn’t lose patience. [Muslim]
              4. Continue to gain a lawful means of living. The Prophet :saw: narrated a story about a man asking Allah, saying “O Lord! O Lord!” but his food was unlawful, his drink was unlawful, his clothing was unlawful, and he was nourished unlawfully; so how can he be answered?!” (Muslim)

Comment

Part 15 :love:

Remember Me and I will remember you

“Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured.” (Qur’an, 13:28)

In the last article in this section, we wrap up the things we have to do in our journey to gain tranquility of the heart with the remembrance of Allah.

When we try to figure out why we are so often bothered, why we feel disturbed internally, or why we feel sad – we need to go back to our hearts. The Prophet :saw: (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Do not talk too much without remembering and mentioning Allah, for too much talk without mentioning Allah hardens the heart, and the person farthest from Allah is the one with a hard heart.” (Tirmidhi)

SubhanAllah (glory to Allah) – our heart hardens when we do not remember Allah. The heart’s nourishment is the remembrance of Allah, and when we fail to remember Him, it is no wonder that we feel down for no apparent reason. Ibn al-Qayyim stated, “In the heart there is hardness which can only be softened by remembrance of Allah. So the slave must treat the hardness of his heart with the remembrance of Allah.” For those of us who feel that Islam itself has become heavy upon us, look at the answer the Prophet :saw: gave to a man who said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, the laws of Islam seem to be a lot for me (to remember), so tell me something that I should stick to.’ He :saw: replied, ‘Let your tongue never cease to be moist with the remembrance of Allah’. (Tirmidhi)

And what is the effect of this remembrance? It acts as a polish for the hearts from its rust, and causes us to be remembered by Allah the Most High. Allah tells us in this amazing hadith qudsi:

“I am to my servant as he expects of Me, I am with him when he remembers Me. If he remembers Me in his heart, I remember him to Myself, and if he remembers me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly better than his…” (Bukhari and Muslim)

So what exactly is remembrance?
                Remembrance of Allah includes specifieddhikr (such as saying subhan’Allah, la ilaha ila Allah, etc.), but it is also anything you do related to Allah or mentioning Allah. Anything that you do with Allah in mind – whether it is thinking well of Him, giving charity with the specific intention of doing it for His sake, making du’a’ (supplication) and so on is within the realm of dhikr.

Ways of dhikr
                Let’s get more specific. What are the things we can do that are included in dhikr?

Intention
                Like we said in the article on earning Allah’s love, we need to immerse ourselves in good works. That said, when we do good, we must always try to be conscious of the fact that we are doing it for Allah. Talk to Allah as you are doing the good deed, ask Him to accept it from you, and to enable you to do more good. Add intentions – such as doing it for Allah, following the sunnah (tradition of the Propeht :saw:), helping fellow Muslims and people – the more you remember Allah, the more He will remember you. And inevitably you will feel that in your life.

Remember, when we do good, we need to do good with the heart. We probably do certain things anyway – such as giving charity here and there, making du`a’ and so on. But we do them without heart, without any feeling or emotion that this is for Allah. We need to do these things knowing that in them is a cure for what is in our hearts, and that when we feel down, we go to these things – whether it is helping out others or pleading with Allah in our sujood(prostration).

Turning to Him
                “Whoever comes to me walking, I go to him at speed.” (Bukhari)
                It is impossible for you to return to Allah and He rejects you. Look at all these ahadeethon those who return to Him:

” Allah is happier when a servant of His repents to Him than a man who was on his camel in a waterless desert and the camel escaped from him with his food and water. When he has lost hope of finding it, he retired to a tree and lied down under its shade. As he was there, the camel suddenly appeared in front of him. He took hold of its halter and said in his state of excessive joy: ‘O my Lord You are my servant and I am Your Lord.’ He uttered this erroneous statement as a result of his being overjoyed.” (Muslim)

Allah says in a beautiful hadith qudsi:

“O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as its.” (Tirmidhi)

Finally Allah says:
                “Remember Allah during times of ease and He will remember you during times of difficulty” (Tirmidhi)
                Thanking Him

“And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]…” (Qur’an, 14:7)

Thanking is recognizing and appreciating. The more you thank, the more you will see. The more you see how Allah has blessed you, you see His presence in your life and this in itself should create a certain soothing of the heart. By thanking Allah, you are recognizing He is al-Wahhab (the Giver of gifts), ar-Razzaq (the Sustainer), al-Wadud(the Most Loving) and insha’Allah (God willingly) you will be able to recognize how He manifests His attributes and Names in your life.

Take the time out every evening to thank Allah for the blessings in your day – not only will you be overwhelmed because you will never be able to enumerate them, but you will truly recognize Allah’s presence in your life.

Daily Wird
                “And remember your Lord much and exalt [Him with praise] in the evening and the morning.” (Qur’an, 3:41)

We know that the Prophet:saw: always remembered Allah – this is why we havedu’a’ and adhkar for almost everything we do: from entering into the restroom to what to say when someone compliments us. The Prophet:saw also had specific remembrances that he said every morning and every evening (they can be found here). Each of these words and phrases are precious – not only do they polish your heart and cleanse them of their disturbances, but the Prophet :saw: would say them for protection, and that in itself should give us peace of mind and heart. Yaqeen is so important – if the Prophet :saw: has told us that saying certain words will have an effect – we should have no doubt.

We should take the time to understand these words, so that they truly enter our hearts.

May Allah make us of people “who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], “Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire.” (Qur’an, 3:191)

Comment

beautiful thread, jazaakAllahu khayran for sharing

Comment

Asalaamu alaikum

Part 16 :love:

To become Allah swt Wali
                    2:25712:101).

Truly, it is an impoverished person who does not have Allah as their Wali, the person who takes his Wali as the dunya.

What happens if you are a Wali of Allah?

1. You have no fear in this dunya, no sadness in akhirah.

10:62)2. He will put light in your life.

2:25710:621
                    1. of course only Allah knows who will be in Jannah, but this is just so we can imagine.

Comment

This is a fantastic thread sister :love:

:jkk:
                      وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Part 17 :love:

Allah is with the patient

2:153hardship comes ease. At the same time, being of the patient is what we aspire to, because when we do reach that level, Allah is with us. What does Allah being with us mean? Imam ash-Shawkanitalks about this39:103:146) Remember how we said Allah treats those He lovestests!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                          This is a fantastic thread sister :love:

:jkk:
                          BarakAllah feek

I know mashaAllah makes me feel :love: :love: :love: whenever I read it :)

Comment

OMG..sister Random...I think I have fallen in :love: with you!!...don't worry I'm a sis obviously! :p

Thank you soooooooo much for this thread...I can't put into words how much I :love: this thread! All your posts are so amazing MashaAllah!...Keep up the good work! :up:

:love: :jkk: :love:

Comment

Originally posted by {f~h} View Post
                              All your posts are so amazing MashaAllah!...Keep up the good work! :up:
                              They are. MashaAllah.

:jkk: sister.
                              Shukr to Allah in abundance...

Comment

Originally posted by {f~h} View Post
                                OMG..sister Random...I think I have fallen in :love: with you!!...don't worry I'm a sis obviously! :p

Thank you soooooooo much for this thread...I can't put into words how much I :love: this thread! All your posts are so amazing MashaAllah!...Keep up the good work! :up:

:love: :jkk: :love:
                                Lol aw but it's not meee u need to thank, it just made me feel so :inlove: when I read it that I just wanted everyone else to feel the same way and he fact that u feel like that makes me feel so happy mashaAllah :love: I'm a natural worrier which means I have to read these over n over and everytime I do it's a different piece of the article that touches my heart :)

Comment

Working...
                                X