Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching youngsters Arabic (reading)

Assalaamu Alaykum,

I was after some serious advice on how to teach a 4-year-old the Arabic letters. MashaAllah, she's a healthy child, and is not developmentally/intellectually delayed as far as I'm aware. She can recognise the letter ba easily, however, we haven't been able to go beyond the third letter because she keeps forgetting how alif and ta sound. Her Mum is frustrated with her because she's not 'catching it' like her elder sister did. Of course every child learns differently, but I can't recognise her learning style. She's too focussed on me, rather than her book which doesn't help.

I have tried every possible means; repetition, identifying all the alifs on the page, pointing explicitly, changing books for a 'new feel', handing her over to another family member for a change in teaching style, but nothing's working. I don't believe a 4-year-old is too young to start learning, but is it possible that this could be the case for her? Maybe she needs another year before she starts again.

Was wondering if there is an effective strategy that has worked for you with your young children/students, please, that I could try, inshaAllah?
    Shukr to Allah in abundance...

Re: Teaching youngsters Arabic (reading)

Wa alaikum salaam

I suggest you try asking here. The forum isn't a very active one but it is dedicated to the teaching and learning of Arabic.
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

learning through play would be better i think, and let her be exposed to all the letters rather than keep her on ba because she cant remember alif and ta?
      gradually she will just learn them
      has she learned english letters already then she can learn the arabic ones in much the same way?
      alphabet puzzles, flashcards, matching games, alphabet songs, matching starting letters to words.. all those kind of games shud b able to help? that way she will pick them up without even realise she is learning
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Salaam

what about watching videos for kids ?

Arabic Alphabet Nasheed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI3oB...&feature=playe

Amazing alphabet nasheed for kids...

Nasheed for Children - Bismillah

http://myislamweb.com/forum/index.php?board=136.0
        Last edited by Sister in faith; 30-03-12, 06:16 PM.

Comment

That Arabic alphabet nasheed thing is the best thing ever!!! My son had learnt the Arabic letters that way by the time he was not even 2 years old mashaAllah!!!! Don't push her and stress her out because you will then take out all the enjoyment of learning, do u use flash cards? I have Arabic alphabet flash cards and an Arabic letters book for my son and both are really good!! The have good illustrations and the letters are big and clear and colourful.
          *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Comment

Jazakumullah Khayr for the responses. No she doesn't know her English alphabet yet. So you suggest we move on to the other letters without her knowing the first two/three? I noticed she brings in other letters (which I'm sure she learnt at home) when trying to recognise ta. She mentions tha, and jeem. Hence I thought it would only confuse her even more if we moved on to the next... She's really good in identifying one letter at a time mashaAllah, but when I ask her to identify another letter, she forgets all over again how it sounds.

The first nasheed is good mashaAllah, and I'm sure she'll be able to learn something from that; however, not so sure if it'll help her recognise how each letter looks, it's too fast! Jazakillah Khayr. I don't think it'll be a good idea to use the second link with the music though.

Yes, I understand pushing her can have an opposite effect. Flash cards sound good. InshaAllah, will get hold of some, and try that.

Comment

SubhanAllah, the little girl was fully charged yesterday. Alhamdulillah, Allah Taala made it easy for both of us. She is grasping it slowly, MashaAllah.

I was wondering if someone could suggest a way to teach three 4-year-olds at the same time without them wasting time? They're at different levels, so I spend 5 minutes with each child, but when I'm working with one, the other two tend to focus on the third child not concentrating on their own. Ideally I'd like to sit with them one-on-one, but currently it's not possible.

Comment

Excellent, Mashallah sis.

...first and foremost dua!

Secondly are there any other distractions, perhaps even elsewhere, which may hinder the spiritual learning progress?

Quiz them altogether at once randomly, that's fun and interactive.
                وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

I tried quizzing them randomly at the same time, but I think it hurts their poor brains. They like it when I'm sitting with them and giving my attention to them only, lol. They're so gorgeous MashaAllah.

Hmm, as far as I can think, no there isn't any other distraction in the room. The only girl finds me the distraction I think. :-/ When I point to a letter on her book, she keeps staring at me and says she doesn't know... when she clearly hasn't seen which letter I'm pointing at.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X