Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sisters please - Islamic Perspective on Cosmetic Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sisters please - Islamic Perspective on Cosmetic Surgery?

Hello,

I have an understanding of beauty as something unique to each person, to be appreciated only by their marriage partner (e.g. it doesn't matter if every one else thinks your ugly, it only matters that your husband loves you as the most beautiful thing in the world) and something we shouldn't complain about cos it is not important anyway, the beauty of the heart is what matters.

But I have met some Muslim girls who have had plastic surgery. Like enhancing their nose to be more beautiful. Is this considered okay in Islam??? I guess it is for beauty not sexyness, is this distinction important?

Thanks for any answers :)

Re: Sisters please - Islamic Perspective on Cosmetic Surgery?

Isn't changing something like that permanently, implying that we are ungrateful to our Lord for what he has given us, and are complaining (indirectly) for what he hasn't given us, and therefore, going against what our Lord has blessed us with?
    Shukr to Allah in abundance...

Comment

logic would have it, if tattoos are haram because they change the body, and tooth shaving is haram because it changes the body and eye-brow shaving is haram because it changes the body, i would say that changing the face would fall under the similar category

Allah knows best, ask a scholar
      Last edited by AbuMubarak; 28-03-12, 01:37 PM.
      .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
      نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
      دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Salam alaikum
        As far as I know only corrective surgery is allowed by Islam like if somebody has a disfigurement.
        Alhumdulillah

Comment

Originally posted by Dhurrah View Post
          Isn't changing something like that permanently, implying that we are ungrateful to our Lord for what he has given us, and are complaining (indirectly) for what he hasn't given us, and therefore, going against what our Lord has blessed us with?
          Yes I would think like that too but maybe some people think of 'less than pefect beauty' just like an annoying illness so think they can 'cure it' by the same justification as using medicine. I'm really speculating here.

Any perspective on why some Muslim sisters (the ones I know are in Syria and Jordan) would go ahead with it???

Anyone here had plastic surgery and could explain why????

Comment

one important thing to remember is, just because a muslim did it, doesnt make it permissible in islam.
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

i was thinking about braces, tooth braces, would that be halal or not? similar to tooth-shaving?
              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Well as far as I know, plastic surgery is allowed to correct a deformity or damage (e.g. reconstructive surgery after an accident or illness that leaves you disfigured, or for babies/children with birth defects) - but it's not allowed when there's nothing wrong. So if there's nothing wrong with your nose but just don't like the shape, then you can't have plastic surgery. But if someone breaks your nose badly enough to deform it, then it's permissible to have surgery to put it back to its correct shape.

I've seen fatwas on Islam QA to this effect, but I can't access the site as it's banned in Saudi Arabia so I can't do a search and show you.
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                  i was thinking about braces, tooth braces, would that be halal or not? similar to tooth-shaving?
                  Wouldn't that come under correcting a deformity/disfigurement? I suppose it depends on how badly crooked the teeth are. If someone has an overbite it can affect eating, not just what they look like.

Good question though, maybe there's a fatwa about it somewhere?
                  [CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]
                  [CENTER]
                  [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                  [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
                    Well as far as I know, plastic surgery is allowed to correct a deformity or damage (e.g. reconstructive surgery after an accident or illness that leaves you disfigured, or for babies/children with birth defects) - but it's not allowed when there's nothing wrong. So if there's nothing wrong with your nose but just don't like the shape, then you can't have plastic surgery. But if someone breaks your nose badly enough to deform it, then it's permissible to have surgery to put it back to its correct shape.

I've seen fatwas on Islam QA to this effect, but I can't access the site as it's banned in Saudi Arabia so I can't do a search and show you.
                    what if you look at your nose as a deformity, or your teeth (during the time of the prophet), it was still considered haram
                    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

"O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Thanks Asiya,

Thats perfect.

Worldy vanity is haraam; keep yourself as healthy and capable as possible to better serve God is not.

Agree

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
                          This is haraam and the one who does it is cursed because it involves two things mentioned in the hadeeth: pursuit of beauty and changing what Allaah has created.
                          But doesn't Allah mention in the Qur'an a few times that He loves beauty and for us to beautify ourselves? Why is the pursuit of beauty suddenly cursed? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by ~Malaika~ View Post
                            But doesn't Allah mention in the Qur'an a few times that He loves beauty and for us to beautify ourselves? Why is the pursuit of beauty suddenly cursed? :-/
                            if you e-read the whole fatwa, and the explanation, it clearly explains in regards to those who have plastic surgery to conform to so called "beauty standards" :) insha Allah the line u singled out will make sense in context.
                            Last edited by *asiya*; 29-03-12, 08:42 PM.

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X