Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffering from Insomnia! NEED SOME HELP!:(

Assalamu Alaykum,

As the title suggests, I suffer from Insomnia, I have for quite a while now and I've had ENOUGH of it. I really struggle to go to sleep during the night and I feel sooooooo tired in the morning, when I go to school I can hardly concentrate coz I feel so tired and sometimes I feel really dizzy. I've been taking alot of time off school recently because of this (Teachers have also noticed this too, they get really p*ssed that I never come into school). I feel really tired right now, I got two hours sleep last night after struggling to sleep for several hours. I need some help!!!!!!! INSOMNIA IS TAKING OVER MY LIFE. :(

Keep me in ur duas insha'Allah.
    JazakAllah Khair.
    إن للمتقين مفازا

Re: Suffering from Insomnia! NEED SOME HELP!:(

See your doctor, inshaAllah there's quite a bit that can help, but don't accept sleeping pills as a solution (because they're not they just relieve the symptoms)

Also some things that can help, the main one is sleep hygiene:

- stick to the same bed time and getting up time even at the weekend, your body clock getting out of synch is a common cause of insomnia, it's like jet lag, but caused by sleeping in late and going to bed late at the weekend, then being unable to sleep at the right time during the week. the cure is to keep the same bedtime for all 7 days
    - avoiding daytime sleeping helps many people, although others can catch up with sleep during the day and still sleep well at night. others find that daytime sleeping makes nighttime insomnia worse
    - don't have screen time late at night, read a good (but not heavy or upsetting) book, something lighthearted but a little bit boring
    - have a bath before bed, some herbs like lavender relax you and encourage sleep, and have a bedtime routine to give your brain the message that it's time to switch off now
    - avoid any caffeinated drinks after 5pm, or even better give up caffeine altogether
    - get plenty of exercise and activity during the day, but not in the 3 hrs before bed time
    - get plenty of sunlight during the day, and dim the lights in the evening (bright enough to read your book by, but not much brighter than that)
    - eat regular meals and don't eat too late in the evening. Lack of carbohydrate during the day or erratic eating habits can make insomnia worse
    - sleep in a very dark room, and avoid noise pollution as much as possible. close the windows to shut out noise from traffic, neighbours etc
    - find time to relax during the day, take study breaks etc
    - if something is bothering you and making you feel stressed, *don't* bottle it up, talk about it and get it off your chest
    - if you're feeling generally stressed (e.g. because of exams etc) do regular exercise to relieve the stress and also take time to relax, have fun, and talk about how you feel with people you trust
    - visualise happy and relaxing things when you go to bed, e.g. relaxing on a beach somewhere nice

If the lack of sleep comes from psychological issues or started after a traumatic event, then counselling may help. Or if the worries/issues that are keeping you awake are something that you can't discuss with close friends or family, for whatever reason.

If the above measures don't help, or if you think you need counselling, see a doctor inshaAllah.

BTW I've had serious insomnia problems, even sleeping pills didn't work on me (I don't recommend them at all, although they may help some people *in the short term only*) the above things help somewhat, but what's helped me the most is counselling, alhamdulillah. But what helps depends on the cause so try all the above points and if they don't help see your doc inshaAllah :love:
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 26-03-12, 06:53 PM.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

JazakAllah Khair!! I cannot thank u enough sis dhak1yya, you've helped me out alot. I'll try some of those things and see how it goes insha'Allah. :love:
      إن للمتقين مفازا

Comment

homeopathy or the herb medicines work like a charm , with the consultation from an expert that is.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
          homeopathy or the herb medicines work like a charm , with the consultation from an expert that is.
          Lol, have u tried them before? What do they taste like? :p
          إن للمتقين مفازا

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sprinkles View Post
            Lol, have u tried them before? What do they taste like? :p
            homeopathy? ... sweet medicine like candy

herbs? .... more disgusting and sour than alleopathy

Comment

I have the same problem too, I have had it since I was 11 and now I am goint to be 24 and its even worse then ever.

I have tried what sis dhak1yya suggested and it doesnt seemto work and my GP does not even understand, I feel like I know more then him lol

Anything else that I can try? I dont want it to affect my married life :(

Comment

Have you tried reading a book to sleep ?
                A really tedious book at that :)
                'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
                Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
                علي الحبشي

Comment

Originally posted by Sirius View Post
                  Have you tried reading a book to sleep ?
                  A really tedious book at that :)

Ulysses by James Joyce
                  War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
                  ألإخواننا والموت قد حال دوننا، وللموت حكم نافذ في الخلائق
                  سبقتكم للموت والعمرطية وأعلم أن الكل لا بد لاحقي
                  بعيشكم أو باضطجاعي في الثرى، ألم تك في صفو من العيش الرائق؟
                  فمن مر بي فليمض بي مترحما ولا يك منسيا وفاء الأصادق

Comment

Originally posted by Naz_Habib View Post
                    I have the same problem too, I have had it since I was 11 and now I am goint to be 24 and its even worse then ever.

I have tried what sis dhak1yya suggested and it doesnt seemto work and my GP does not even understand, I feel like I know more then him lol

Anything else that I can try? I dont want it to affect my married life :(
                    Get a new GP. Failing to understand, or just prescribing sleeping pills without further questions, is not what good doctors should do. Insomnia could be a symptom of either physical or mental illness, and it's also a complaint in its own right (i.e. when there's no physical or mental health issues causing it). Doctors *should* take it very seriously, if they're not, they're not doing their job properly.

Go to the new GP, explain the whole situation including everything you've tried that hasn't worked. InshaAllah the GP can help/advise from there. Make sure that you explain how long it's been going on for, and that it's getting worse.
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Glorfindel View Post

Ulysses by James Joyce
                      War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
                      'War and Peace' is on my bookshelf ready to be flicked open when I find the time.
                      And no, not as a sleeping aid.
                      'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
                      Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
                      علي الحبشي

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
                        Get a new GP. Failing to understand, or just prescribing sleeping pills without further questions, is not what good doctors should do. Insomnia could be a symptom of either physical or mental illness, and it's also a complaint in its own right (i.e. when there's no physical or mental health issues causing it). Doctors *should* take it very seriously, if they're not, they're not doing their job properly.

Go to the new GP, explain the whole situation including everything you've tried that hasn't worked. InshaAllah the GP can help/advise from there. Make sure that you explain how long it's been going on for, and that it's getting worse.
                        I was going to do that but I cant do these sort of stuff by myeslf, I aint using my deafness as an excuse but I have low onfidence level at times, I will not speak much to anyone who I dont know in fear I wont understand what they say and then the same repating of what was said over again.

Even though my GP knows I am deaf and rely on lipreading he always talk to me looking at the computer screen typing in my symptoms.

We do not have many women doctors at our surgery and if we do it takes weeks to get an appointment made. I had a lady doctor, she was from the Middle East and to be honest she was not very understanding. I was trying to explain to her my problem and she said I'm sorry I am running out of time, if you want to, you can make another appointment and she kept saying only one problem you tell me lol and I was like one problem can have many symptoms. She gave me a website adress and on that wbsite it was the NHS website which has a-z off everything, and I was like oh god, I came to you not for some website.

I will PM you spme personal problems I have that I would like to ask you as I read in one of your previous threads you hold a degree in biology, I hope you dont mind, you're advice will be much appreciated.

Comment

One thing you could try (which I do sometimes because I tend to forget things I meant to say and my mind goes blank under pressure sometimes) is to write it all down on a piece of paper and give it to the doctor to read. Especially if there are a lot of issues/symptoms all at the same time.

I don't mind you pming me sis :love:
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

:salams

How any night time worship? Like performing voluntary nafl,doing excessive Zikr,reading Quran with meaning or even memorising surah or Duas

This should sooth and provide with good sleep inshAllah
                            7 Heavens and The Arsh & Kursi Of Allah - by Sheikh Ahmed Ali [HD] :up:

Subhan'Allah wa bi-hamdihi
                            Glorified is Allah with all praise due to Him:love:

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
                              One thing you could try (which I do sometimes because I tend to forget things I meant to say and my mind goes blank under pressure sometimes) is to write it all down on a piece of paper and give it to the doctor to read. Especially if there are a lot of issues/symptoms all at the same time.

I don't mind you pming me sis :love:
                              Did you get my PM sis

I wrote a long list then when I pressed send it directed me to a page where it said I am not logged in and I was, does that mean I have lost it all and have to re-type it?

Comment

Working...
                              X