Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sisters Only Thread - Office wear

Originally posted by sushi View Post
    So, I should wear these with scarf covering the front and a blazer/jacket on top, right?

Some links for blazers/jackets, please? :)

Oh, jazakillah!
    I don't know what high-street stores you have in Canada but try using the term 'long line blazers/cardigans' in your search. They're fairly long but make sure they don't cling to you/aren't fitted around the waist.
    "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by dhak1yya View Post
      It's really hard to find links sis, cause when I look I find stuff that's totally different to what I'm describing, or not Islamically appropriate (e.g. too tight/obvious waistline etc) dunno where the other sisters are managing to find the pics to be honest! Maybe I'm not looking on the right sites lol

I was thinking just of a normal woman's jacket, just one that's long and goes down way past the hips, and no obvious waist. I've seen some like that in places like Dorothy Perkins (a long time ago though!) designed to be part of a trouser suit, just that you wear it with a plain abaya/jilbaab underneath it. Plus smart shoes, a smart handbag and a smart headscarf
      Awww! You looked for links for me, thats so sweet of you sis! No worries siso, I got you! I had some cardigans like that before and I was also thinking of them. Just wanted to make sure it'll look professional iA.

Jazakillah ! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious George View Post
        did u ask them? tbh when sisters wear 'modernised' jalabiyas it really puts me off cos the whole hijab itself is defeated by sisters wanting to fit into society. u can still look presentable, neat and simple by wearing the khimar, just like the men who may wear the garments that are sunnah yet its not trampy neither unprofessional. i know how it is when working in an upper-class environment cos everything is not just about the job positions that people are situated in, but its even about fashion and how present themselves. ladies wear a whole load of make-up, high skirts, tight shirts which makes other employees inferior as the manager may favouritise them more or u know they would be disregarded, etc. but that doesnt mean muslim women can wear clothes that would try to make them fit in to some extent
        You know sis, it puts me off too! Thats why I am more pro to skirts than tight fitted modern jilbabs, I hate them! They don't even fulfill the conditions of hijab subhanAllah! Long ago I saw a sister whose jilbab shows every part of her body subhanAllah! .....but at the same time, I am not sure how much chance I have to get the job wearing khimar. Otherwise, I love khimar but because of that 'professional look' situation I need something else which will fulfill the conditions of hijab and still look professional.

Comment

Check what your legal rights are.

What does my head in about non-Muslims who object to proper hijab (when it's clean, tidy, smart etc) is that you're being employed for your skills and knowledge, not to be eye candy in an office. Granted no-one wants office employees dressed like they're just relaxing at home or like they just went straight from their bed to the office with no care for looking presentable, but there's no necessity for x amount of flesh to be on display, or for your clothes to be x amount of fitted, to look smart and tidy and do your job well. So what it comes down to is that they want eye candy in the office, subhanAllah :(
          Yeah, I am also planning to search about my statutory rights to wear religious clothing at work because after I got the job I may like to wear jilbabs because thats the clothing I am most comfortable in. Incase I am challenged in an office, I need to do my home works before.

Comment

Originally posted by mizfissy815 View Post
            I don't know what high-street stores you have in Canada but try using the term 'long line blazers/cardigans' in your search. They're fairly long but make sure they don't cling to you/aren't fitted around the waist.
            Thank you sis, I guess I got the cardigans which you are reffering to though not sure about the blazers. I was also thinking about those long cardigans. :)

Comment

:wswrwb:

I have worked in a well known clothing store, a hospital, an office and a primary school all wearing abaya and I live in the UK. I don't think employers make an issue out of it unless Youre applying for a job which requires a uniform or involves sports. Just wear your abaya and have tawakal in Allah
              Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Comment

Where do you live. I am in US, I know some professional Muslim women that wear abaya/hijab as professors and lawyers. You don't have to compromise, just don't wear one with all the crazy flower designs and all that. Stay with plain, nice jilbabs and scarfs and you will look great and modest.
                Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

Originally posted by inprogress View Post
                  Where do you live. I am in US, I know some professional Muslim women that wear abaya/hijab as professors and lawyers. You don't have to compromise, just don't wear one with all the crazy flower designs and all that.
                  Thats an useful information for me alhamdulillah !

Stay with plain, nice jilbabs and scarfs and you will look great and modest.
                  InshAllah I'll!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_87 View Post

I have worked in a well known clothing store, a hospital, an office and a primary school all wearing abaya and I live in the UK. I don't think employers make an issue out of it unless Youre applying for a job which requires a uniform or involves sports. Just wear your abaya and have tawakal in Allah
                    Wow! So inspiring! InshAllah I'll be able to wear jilbab at work as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious George View Post
                      both of those define the shape which is inappropriate. something like this, http://www.islamicboutique.com/head_style_abaya.asp is better esp in accounting/admin jobs where ur not physically active
                      You can't wear that in a work place.
                      Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

It needs to cover your shape, i.e. no waistline. So if you have an ankle length skirt, whatever you wear on top needs to cover the shape of your waist and hips. A long jacket will cover the lower back inshaAllah, but you'd need to make sure that the front is covered too. Maybe a long, long-sleeved t-shirt plus long jacket.

Some sisters wear a smart work jacket over the top of a plain jilbaab or abaya, so they still look professional without compromising their hijab. And it's a lot less obvious that you're wearing an abaya/jilbaab, especially when you've also got a smart looking headscarf.

Best thing is to try on some different things (in the fitting room in a shop) and see what covers adequately while still looking professional enough.
                        To cover waist and hips, I suggest long cardigans:

http://www.eastessence.com/products/...obe-822-9.html

A plain black one you can wear everyday over long skirt and baggy shirt.

Or wear baggy skirt with a long kaftan/kurti on top (with long sleeved top underneeth). It is smart, Westernish so suitable for public and modest :):

http://www.eastessence.com/products/...rti-58-17.html

xxxx

Comment

Originally posted by inprogress View Post
                          Where do you live. I am in US, I know some professional Muslim women that wear abaya/hijab as professors and lawyers. You don't have to compromise, just don't wear one with all the crazy flower designs and all that. Stay with plain, nice jilbabs and scarfs and you will look great and modest.

Agree, a plain dark coloured Abaya like black, navy or brown, is just a smart work dress+coverage. It may not even be noticed as 'abaya', just a long skirt, long sleeved dress :) In fact it is more smart than anything i think :) Treat yourself to one in a nice, good quality material :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_87 View Post

MashaAllah.

That's what I'd say too. As long as there isn't a uniform requirement, wearing a plain abaya and a khimar that goes below the waistline shouldn't be a problem at all, InshaAllah. Personally, I feel that it looks very professional for a Muslim woman to wear something like this.

And as the sister mentioned, if we have tawakkul in Allah, and make a firm intention that we want to wear something that is completely covering for the sake of our Deen, then Allah will definitely open up a way where we are able to do/wear exactly that, InshaAllah.
                            Shukr to Allah in abundance...

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
                              You can't wear that in a work place.
                              and why is that? the link given is the proper hijab

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X