Islam and martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam and martial arts

Does anyone here partake in martial arts? What martial arts do you practice? What relation do martial arts have with Islam? And how many people here know of martial arts invented by muslims?
    Which martial arts can benefit a muslims deen? Hopefully this will be good

Re: Islam and martial arts

I do MMA. Muslim martial arts include Silat (even though it was invented by Hindus) and various northern chinese kungfu styles like bajiquan, and all the various styles found throughout the world like kusti, turkish wrestling, pehlwani etc.
    The Crisis of ISIS (Response to Hamza Yusuf)
    Destroying the lies of the Murjiah!
    http://www.islamic-awareness.org
    http://islamqa.info/ - Best source on Islamic fatwas
    Shia Death squads in Iraq ethnically cleansing Sunnis

Comment

filipino martial arts are derived from moro muslim warriors.

Comment

MMA :inlove:

I am going towards chute box
        "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

any bjj or wrestling practicioners wrestling is sunnah so much reward.

Comment

Originally posted by zakariyya21 View Post
            any bjj or wrestling practicioners wrestling is sunnah so much reward.
            grappling is sunnah. It is very challenging to do.

you will notice though a lot of uneducated people equate it to homosexuality. Its dumb.
            "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Wingchun is great primarily for women and young children although will benefit everyone :up:
              What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
              Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
              Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
              but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
              but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
              We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
              freedom from slavery to other than the One,
              Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
              and a horizon that extends to the next life,
              Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

I've never done any MMA but on of the Masjids I attend has a weekend program. My father is Okinawan and when I was a kid my parents put me in Okinawan Karate, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Be careful with martial arts that involve 'chi', 'qi' or anything like that. It may involve use of jinn.

For more info read

http://www.dangerofchi.org/

Comment

inshAllah dis week i'm going to start fillipino martial arts they just look cool.:bang:

Comment

well Chinese muslims did some improvement and distinction from old chinese kung fu

check this out
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial..._by_Muslim_Hui

in South east Asia, Muslims develop Silat .Traditional silat like Silat Harimau Edwel Yusri, teach their student about Islam during session not just practicing moves , but as for today, many non muslims open their silat school and Rip Islamic teaching during session.

Originally posted by flashnazia View Post
                      Be careful with martial arts that involve 'chi', 'qi' or anything like that. It may involve use of jinn.

For more info read

http://www.dangerofchi.org/
                      usually, as far as i know, if the martial art school involve the use of jinn, during or before practice they will perform some weird ceremony using benzoin resin etc

Comment

Bajiquan is developed by muslim hui from Chinese kung fu
                        and
                        Silat as well developed by muslim in south east asia, in tradisional Silat usually sumatran style silat like Harimau silat, during practicing there will be islamic tausiyah session
                        but modern silat with non muslim teacher rip the islamic session so just physical practice only....

Comment

Often when muslims are selecting martial art to themselves or their children, they are forgetting that there are arts which have been developed in islamic communities. In those arts there is combined islamic wisdom and effectiveness. You or your children will not have to do anything against religion as reis (bows to master ).
                          I am not here to preach about this but tell you that You have possibility to choose an islamic art.
                          Read more from these sites.

martial arts anaheim

Comment

I am an Indonesian muslim and I know for sure that Silat predates any religion in Indonesia. It's not belong to single religion. Even here in Indonesia we never said it muslim MA.

plumber brea

Comment

I recommend: FMA/IMA, escrima, grappling of all kinds (especially catch-wrestling for the body mechanics), Muay Thai, BJJ and westen boxing.

I see that you went with the FMA. A good choice.

Martial arts are a means of inflicting violence upon others. This trait and ability is not teh sole property of any people or religion. Man has been pretty good at violence and devising effective means of delivering it the world over regardless of race, religion, creed, etc.

Some arts are more closely associated with Islam such as Silat, Escrima (moro), Hui style Gung fu and the like. They are however, just flavours of already existing arts.

Arts that involve "magic" are generally associated with Jinn use at high levels. Although some are just people spiritually enhancing a certain aspect of their being to the point of being borderline supernatural. Like some Silat practitioners cutting their own tongues and seemingly not feeling the pain through the strength of their own will.

Chi, Ki, Qi inthe supernatural sense is debatable as even existing. Energy, energy flow, explosion is the more practical terms used for what many of the "eastern" arts term chi and does exist. A lot of the stuff attributed to "chi flow" is just old fashion good body mechanics.
                              www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X