Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it a Arab tradition to recycle names of fathers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it a Arab tradition to recycle names of fathers?

Salam Alaykum

I was looking up information and I come across arab family trees.

for example, I saw Muhammad Ibn Ibrahim, his fathers name was Ibrahim Ibn Muhammad, his grandfathers name was Muhammad Ibn Ibrahim again.

Is it a tradition or my mind is playing tricks?
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Re: is it a Arab tradition to recycle names of fathers?

Wslm..

It's not a tradition so to speak, as not everyone has it. But some people do tend to have it. I find it confusing.

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant, for mountains are made out of pebbles.

Comment

ive noticed many arabs have their grandfathers and fathers names in their names, but not just arabs do it, my father is scottish and he has names from his father and grandfather.

Comment

my family do it too, my brother, father, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather and on and on for the last 600 years and all have same 3 first and middle names in various orders, eldest son always takes the fathers name.

i dunno about arabs tradition though.
        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by Islam.07 View Post
          Wslm..

It's not a tradition so to speak, as not everyone has it. But some people do tend to have it. I find it confusing.
          Its pretty confusing sometimes. You can easily troll someone by constantly referring to every other generation of family member randomly and confusing him/her. Technically you are not lying.

Originally posted by cleo View Post
          ive noticed many arabs have their grandfathers and fathers names in their names, but not just arabs do it, my father is scottish and he has names from his father and grandfather.
          Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
          my family do it too, my brother, father, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather and on and on for the last 600 years and all have same 3 first and middle names in various orders, eldest son always takes the fathers name.

i dunno about arabs tradition though.
          interesting, so it isn't exclusive. Is it some kind of family pride thing?
          "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Comment

just a lineage thing in our case, we`re from a small island, and ppl are careful about what we call "interbreeding" keeping the fathers first and family name, omits confusion so u dont go marrying relatives.
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
              just a lineage thing in our case, we`re from a small island, and ppl are careful about what we call "interbreeding" keeping the fathers first and family name, omits confusion so u dont go marrying relatives.
              Alhamdulillah. Some stories you hear of inbreeding because of confusion is hella.crazy

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
                Alhamdulillah. Some stories you hear of inbreeding because of confusion is hella.crazy
                That was exactly what I was going to say. Some stories are just...Mashallah

Comment

so inbreeding is something of the past? people dont do that anymore? i heard its very popular in middle east.

Comment

Sometimes they name the kids there grandfathers name cuz they really loved their father so they name their baby that and so the name happens again. My husband has this too,his grandfathers name is his name so he has this name twice in his name but its not tradition or anything.

Cleo, some families yes they marry cousins its very common.

Comment

so inbreeding is something of the past? people dont do that anymore? i heard its very popular in middle east.
                      Cousin marriages don't create grave family problems

Comment

im sure they dont, its just sometimes you can get complications with children physically and mentally.

Comment

im sure they dont, its just sometimes you can get complications with children physically and mentally.
                          That pretty rare

Comment

I wish my name was like this, I dont even have a last name lol :(

Comment

Originally posted by MoMo. View Post
                              I wish my name was like this, I dont even have a last name lol :(
                              Name your kid Mo Mohammad. He will name his kids Mohammad Mo. And so on. Create a tribe of MoMo

Comment

Working...
                              X