Serious Question: Are Drugs Haram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question: Are Drugs Haram?

If i told you that I had went to the dentist and he pulled a tooth and because of the pain, he gave me "perkaset" or "vykaden", and it had me knocked out and high, almost no muslim would blink an eye

But if i said that instead of taking the doctor's prescription, i went home and smoked a joint, or crack, or shot heroin for the pain, everyone would scream HARAM, HARAM

why?

now, we know that the prophet forbid alcohol for any reason, and many people used to drink alcohol to numb the effects of pain due to injuries sustained in battle. But we also know that Umm Amara (or Umm Hanzala) dealt with severe pain after her battle wounds in Uhud. She even said that the remedy for the injuries was worse than the injuries.

So if alcohol is haram, and all mind-altering drugs are haram, why are we allowed to use pharmaceutical drugs, which have the exact same, mind-altering effect?
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Re: Serious Question: Are Drugs Haram?

what is the fiqh that allows pharmaceutical drugs that alter the mind, yet forbids heroin? heroin, cocaine, marijuana all used to be legal, hence they too could have been prescribed by a doctor 50 years ago
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Often wonder the same. People look down at cannabis while themselves scoffing tablets. Whats the difference? If anything, with random tablets you are trusting some company out there to put whatever they like into your blood.

Same with vaccines. Putting in all kinds of chemicals, metals, crap from the diseased kidneys of monkeys.. Even your body rejects it, but somehow we think it's making us better.
      SPREAD OF EVIL
      ZIONISM
      BOLLYWOOD

Comment

AbuM a few things-

- any drug remotely comparable to heroine and cocaine in potency would have to be prescribed. Which means it would more likely be a 'need' than a want and 'needs' come with separate rulings.

- Anything prescribed is more easily regulated...preventing dependency and addiction.

- The general use for heroine and cocaine is recreational. Hence the rulings we all know off.

- There are mind altering drugs, like antipsychotic drugs that alter your mind to be able to function 'normally' and preventing you from endangering yourself and others. Drugs without which you can be considered Islamically 'not of sound mind'.

- I do agree the issue here is not the drugs and which drugs are haram and which aren't. The issue is what can alter your mind but I disagree with where you draw the line.

- The line, the way I see it anyway, is drawn where the drugs alter the mind so that you can no longer function or fulfill you Islamic obligations whilst under the influence of them. If they are so (such as anesthetics and strong painkillers), their influence cannot be permanent, there must a need for it and it's not recreational.

- Now on more societal level, I'd say they have to supervised by a professional as well as the above. The nafs is a funny and dangerous thing, and can play tricks with your mind if you try self-medicate.

-So given all of the above, with the right sort of regulations in place to prevent things like addictions, drugs including the likes of medicinal marijuana given that others don't suffice, I would say 'maybe' permissible.

- You're right to say that drugs evolve with time, and it's fairly natural what is halal one generation maybe haram by the next because we find out something new about it that wasn't known to us when the hukm was made. So whilst the drug itself hasn't changed in structure, potency, toxicity etc...how we perceive it changed based on what we know about it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Our deen is one of yusr and not 'osr. It helps to remember that with these things.
        Last edited by mizfissy815; 21-02-12, 12:49 AM.
        "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
          If i told you that I had went to the dentist and he pulled a tooth and because of the pain, he gave me "perkaset" or "vykaden", and it had me knocked out and high, almost no muslim would blink an eye

But if i said that instead of taking the doctor's prescription, i went home and smoked a joint, or crack, or shot heroin for the pain, everyone would scream HARAM, HARAM

why?

now, we know that the prophet forbid alcohol for any reason, and many people used to drink alcohol to numb the effects of pain due to injuries sustained in battle. But we also know that Umm Amara (or Umm Hanzala) dealt with severe pain after her battle wounds in Uhud. She even said that the remedy for the injuries was worse than the injuries.

So if alcohol is haram, and all mind-altering drugs are haram, why are we allowed to use pharmaceutical drugs, which have the exact same, mind-altering effect?
          :wswrwb:

It's a good question, and it's one I have never understood fully. Pharmaceutical drug abuse is rampant. I work in health care, the ER to be exact, and the number of people who come through the hospitals these days with a long list of narcotics and antipsychotic meds is mind blowing. Not only that, but looking through a person's history, you wonder why they are being prescribed these meds. The antipsychotic ones I can understand to a point, but narcotics are a different story.

There are people with minor back injuries who are on Percocet, Vicodin, Opana, and various hardcore drugs. Then, you have the people with opioid dependence, including heroin, and if they want to kick the habit from street drugs to legal stuff, they get put on Suboxone. What is the difference? So, it's illegal to shoot heroin, but you can go to your doctor and get put on Suboxone? There are even Suboxone clinics for junkies. They actually line up out there early and wait to get their daily legal fix.

I have no idea if that's halal or haram, but the whole thing doesn't make sense. It seems like a money-making scheme to me. You also have loads of people who have prescriptions for medical marijuana out in California. So, marijuana is considered medicine now, or was it always, or what? Oh, and you can still get cocaine in a hospital, but it's in pledgets lol. Confusing...

Comment

ritalin and adderall addicts come to mind too.
            please do not ever rep me. jazakallah.

Comment

I'd hate to be concious if I was having some sort of organ transplant.

Comment

drugs in whatever form, legal or illegal can for the most part be used as medicine, glucoma is said to be cured by marujuana, and i know a woman who had cancer and who was given months to live who smoked weed and lived for 9 more years masha Allah as it shrunk her tumors which were untreatable by chemo.ritalin is just a chemical mimmick of what weed does to the brain in increasing dopamine levels, on the other hand in some ppl it can induce psycosis and all sorts of mental illness, so i guess it all comes down to too much of one thing being good for nothing.

but insha Allah as muslims we know the limits insh aAllah of our deen and dont go round "self medicating" smoking weed under the guise of being ill audu billah...
                "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Working...
                X