Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kiduka
    replied
    Re: Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

Originally posted by islam lover View Post
    I was going to start a new thread but as this is on the same subject I hope nobody minds if I ask this. Please can you tell me if I have to get a new passport as my current one has a hijabless photo and inshaAllah I want to go for Hajj this year? JazakAllah Khair.
    You should definitely get a new passport, my sister had a hijabless photo when she was young but she changed hers a few years back. Besides when you go to Hajj you go to wipe out all your sins, so you might as well get it sorted out before hand.

Leave a comment:

• al-siddiq
    replied
    Re: Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

Originally posted by MH10 View Post
    Assalamualaikum my sisters and brothers in Islam,

I'm a Muslimah that currently does not wear hijab. This is something I hope to wear in the future. I have lots of pictures of myself on facebook without hijab (although I'd say I generally dress quite modestly, just with the absence of the actual hijab as a headcovering) and my (non-muslim) friend and I are thinkng of starting a youtube channel for this project/idea that we have. However, even though I don't wear hijab now, I'm hoping that I will wear it one day. I don't want to have to delete these videos later on just because I'm not wearing hijab. The videos will be beneficial to many people insha'allah, so I don't want to remove them.

Is it an actual ruling that we have to remove all our past non-hijabi photos and videos? We also can't find every single person that has our school yearbooks to tell them we need to cut out our pictures because we're not wearing our hijab in them, right?

I've asked several Muslim friends about this and I've heard several answers. Some say that they've heard we are supposed to remove past non-hijabi photos as best as possible. Another said, it's up to me, but from a individual perspective, perhaps it will show that there are lots of different kinds of Muslims out there, not just the one standard that many people believe in..(if people looked into it), it could show that yes, Muslim girls do change - that I did go through a transition from me not wearing a hijab to wearing a hijab. Another friend suggested that I wear a hat and/or hoodie in the videos now so that later I won't have to remove the videos but at the same time I'm not wearing the traditional headscarf per se, and therefore I wouldn't be pretending to wear hijab when I'm not.

So is it an Islamic neccessity to do so? Given that we are living in world that becomes more and more interconnected everyday with technology and social media. Even better...if there are other sisters who have gone through this, or are going through this, I would like to hear about your personal experience! ^^

Thank you,
    your sister in Islam
    Wa Aalaikum Assalam

Firstly I want to apologize that all the posts here have gone so off topic. I hope you do manage to see my post and read it.

What I will say is this. Once you make the decision to wear hijab (I hope it is very soon inshAllah), you will feel very uncomfortable showing your hair. You will automatically feel embarassed and shy and protective about what can be seen of you in public.

Having videos with your hair showing will make you want to remove them, because of course if people in person can't see your hair anymore, but they have pictures and videos of it still available it would defeat the purpose right?

I advise you to research hijab more, and try to love hijab and be proud of it. The fast you wear it, the safer and better for your duniya and akhira dear sister.

There are many sisters here who you can message for advise, help, and other things so please do!

May Allah make things easy for you Ameen.

Leave a comment:

• islam lover
    replied

Leave a comment:

• islam lover
    replied

I was going to start a new thread but as this is on the same subject I hope nobody minds if I ask this. Please can you tell me if I have to get a new passport as my current one has a hijabless photo and inshaAllah I want to go for Hajj this year? JazakAllah Khair.

Leave a comment:

• AbuMubarak
    replied

Originally posted by hanoun View Post
    waiting. good night i'm going to study
    people interpret things differently and thats what i see the issue is here

that doesnt necessarily mean wrong, but just different

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

waiting. good night i'm going to study
    Last edited by hanoun; 13-04-12, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Just like you're refusing to accept IslamQA, I can refuse to accept your sources, as well.

But, Khair, I'll wait for the evidences, :insha:

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

I am not going to re-explain this to you. I already talked to you about my sources.

But, I will not go say: oh not wearing hijab in photo is not OK just because ISLAMQA website said so, as they have already been proven extremely wrong on many other matters. Therefore, you cannot list them as a reliable source. We are NOT just talking about this one matter. Obviously they have made incorrect statements about other things.
    Last edited by hanoun; 13-04-12, 06:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

I can say the same thing, too, you see?

I'm warning others that not wearing hijab in a photo is not OK.

By the way, I don't usually follow IslamQA, but what I'm saying is that you can't say they are wrong and I'm right without proper evidence.

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

mirror, this site had many dangerous errors, not just one or two differences in opinion of what is halaal vs haram.
    i will not go back to the hijab in photo discussion, as i already emailed for proof and will get back to you if they respond.

simply warning others so they avoid misguidance.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Originally posted by hanoun View Post
    an advice:
    it was said that the site called "IslamQA" is reliable. I would like to warn u against it as I have looked into it more thoroughly and already found several incorrect information. So if you are looking for answers for certain matters in Islam in which you are uncertain, I advise you not to search this site for it.
    Well, I can say the same thing then, right?

I mean, I find incorrect statements in the ruling that you brought up that women don't have to wear hijab in photos.

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

*It was said several times on the site that it is obligatory for the woman to cover her face in front of non-Muhrams. i.e., they said: "The correct view on this matter is that it is obligatory for women to cover their entire bodies in front of non-mahram men."
    This is simply not true.
    Ayah 31 of Surat an-Nur means: “and that they (i.e.women) should not display their beauty and ornaments except what ordinarily appears thereof”. The great companions; ^A’ishah, Ibn ^Abbas, Sa^id Ibn Jubayr, ^Ata’ and others interpreted ‘except what ordinarily appears thereof’ as referring to the face and hands.
    Therefore, Allah ordered women to conceal of their bodies that which is unnecessary to be revealed, and allowed them to reveal that which they ordinarily used to show and there was a need to reveal it. The Islamic revealed rules are so easy and simple and since revealing the face and hands is needed for women, the scholars agreed that women are not prohibited from revealing them.
    When praying, women are not obligated to cover their faces. Thus, if whilst performing this act of worship they are not obligated to cover their faces, then so to when they are not performing an act of worship. Also, when performing Hajj or ^Umrah with millions of people from all over the world, women are prohibited from covering their faces. If this is the case when performing this act of worship, then uncovering the face whilst in public should not in any way be classified as a forbidden matter.
    http://darulfatwa.org.au/content/view/1909/142/

**In response to somebody who asked about a new convert who nullified his Islam, IT WAS SAID ON THE SITE: "He should be dealt with in the way that is better, and he should be told that this is something that nullifies Islam, but there is no need for him to renew his Islam, because this contrary action that he did is something that he was unaware of..."
    They also claimed: "The one who is ignorant is not a wrongdoer, because he did not mean to sin, especially if he is new in Islam. End quote."

The Prophet, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam said, related by at-Tirmidhiyy: <<A person may utter a word he thinks is harmless, which results in his falling the depth of 70 years into Hellfire.>>
    The depth of 70 years falling is the bottom of Hellfire, and it is a place that only the blasphemers will reach. This hadith is explicit in showing uttering a word of blasphemy renders a person a non-Muslim--even if he does not deem that word harmful or a sin as such.This hadith also shows that it is not a condition for committing blasphemy that the blasphemous saying be combined with either the belief in that saying or an action. The Prophet did not say: 'A person might utter a word and believe in it...' Nor did he say: 'A person might utter a word and act in blasphemy...' Nor did he say: 'A person might utter a word in seriousness...' Rather, he said: 'A person might utter a word he thinks harmless...'
    A similar hadith related by al-Bukhariyy and Muslim is proof that it is not even conditional that one must know the judgment of the uttered blasphemous word for him to have committed blasphemy.Uttering blasphemous words out of anger does not excuse a person from committing blasphemy.
    http://www.aicp.org/islamic-informat...nu-42/english-

*There were many other incorrect sayings I came across as well, including claims indicating that women should not talk in front of non-muhram men unless necessary, and that it is possibly unlawful for them to drive!

As for sound, reliable sources, I listed some above:
    http://www.aicp.org/
    http://darulfatwa.org.au/

Take care.
    Last edited by hanoun; 13-04-12, 06:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

IT WAS SAID:
    Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    so then tell us, mr sheikh, what did you find acceptable, what did you find in error and where would you suggest people go?
    hi Abu...I am more than willing to point out some errors I found although these are only a few and in no particular order. I only wish to warn brothers and sisters against misinformation and may Allah guide the Muslims and help us protect our Islam...so please do not take anything personally, as I am only warning others against misguidance not making personal attacks.
    Last edited by hanoun; 13-04-12, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• علي
    replied

The truth is, even if you are not wearing hijab, you do not want to leave your pictures around for more people to see you because your sins will just keep on adding up with everyone who sees them. There are sadaqah jariahs, charities that continue to benefit even after your passing, but there is the same for sins, ones that will add up for you even after you're gone because it's on the internet... don't let it happen sis, and ask Allah to help you to wear Hijab. Maybe some day you will wear it, be used to it, and grow happier for it, and you will see it there for you on the day of judgment.

Leave a comment:

• hanoun
    replied

IT WAS SAID:
    Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    so then tell us, mr sheikh, what did you find acceptable, what did you find in error and where would you suggest people go?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X