Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

Assalamualaikum my sisters and brothers in Islam,

I'm a Muslimah that currently does not wear hijab. This is something I hope to wear in the future. I have lots of pictures of myself on facebook without hijab (although I'd say I generally dress quite modestly, just with the absence of the actual hijab as a headcovering) and my (non-muslim) friend and I are thinkng of starting a youtube channel for this project/idea that we have. However, even though I don't wear hijab now, I'm hoping that I will wear it one day. I don't want to have to delete these videos later on just because I'm not wearing hijab. The videos will be beneficial to many people insha'allah, so I don't want to remove them.

Is it an actual ruling that we have to remove all our past non-hijabi photos and videos? We also can't find every single person that has our school yearbooks to tell them we need to cut out our pictures because we're not wearing our hijab in them, right?

I've asked several Muslim friends about this and I've heard several answers. Some say that they've heard we are supposed to remove past non-hijabi photos as best as possible. Another said, it's up to me, but from a individual perspective, perhaps it will show that there are lots of different kinds of Muslims out there, not just the one standard that many people believe in..(if people looked into it), it could show that yes, Muslim girls do change - that I did go through a transition from me not wearing a hijab to wearing a hijab. Another friend suggested that I wear a hat and/or hoodie in the videos now so that later I won't have to remove the videos but at the same time I'm not wearing the traditional headscarf per se, and therefore I wouldn't be pretending to wear hijab when I'm not.

So is it an Islamic neccessity to do so? Given that we are living in world that becomes more and more interconnected everyday with technology and social media. Even better...if there are other sisters who have gone through this, or are going through this, I would like to hear about your personal experience! ^^

Thank you,
    your sister in Islam

Re: Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

It's not just one or two people who are against this. But, pretty much any knowledgeable scholar would tell you that being hijabless on a picture is not allowed.

That's why I recommend you ask other scholars for the correct answer. :insha:
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Add Content
      7 Heavens and The Arsh & Kursi Of Allah - by Sheikh Ahmed Ali [HD] :up:

Subhan'Allah wa bi-hamdihi
      Glorified is Allah with all praise due to Him:love:

Comment

:salams

Hanoun- it's gud that ur trying to help someone with advice But please Be careful about what ur not 100% sure about because there can be people that just read ur reply and believe and hence implement. This starts misguidance. :insha: let's stick to what the Quran and Sunnah informs us
        7 Heavens and The Arsh & Kursi Of Allah - by Sheikh Ahmed Ali [HD] :up:

Subhan'Allah wa bi-hamdihi
        Glorified is Allah with all praise due to Him:love:

Comment

Re: Do we have to remove all non-hijabi photos/videos if we start wearing Hijab?

@deenlover1,
          w ^alaikum as-salam
          I am 100% sure of my answer, because i have actually asked this SPECIFIC question: is the woman allowed to not have her hijab in pictures and got the answer.

while others on the other hand are only assuming it is not allowed while they have never gotten a ruling on this specific matter.
          Last edited by hanoun; 09-04-12, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I do apologize for the fact I didn't have the source to back me up, as once again this was asked a long time. but as a general rule I only answer questions I am sure of and i only give them as they have been given to me.

I said this many times to people that I do not want to say anything I am unsure of. What I am sure of is that the woman may appear in photos without hijab as it's not a moving picture. I was surprised by this too by I did ask about this specific matter and if others do not believe me, as I did not orginially believe the person who told me, please ask one of these sources:
            [email protected]
            http://darulfatwa.org.au/component/o...,3/Itemid,163/

I'm a bit taken aback by the fact that someone deleted all my posts.
            Last edited by hanoun; 09-04-12, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I will not keep up with this. It is a choice from here, people may choose to believe me or not. And it is good for the ones being cautious, I do commend you for your wariness of taking religious advice from just anyone. so for those of you who have never gotten an answer specifically to this question of wearing hijab in picture, i encourage you take it from here and ask a good source yourself instead of just guessing or assuming about what is halal or not, as that is very dangerous territory.

Whenever I have a religious question, I simply ask a source I trust and know the credibility of. if he/she does not know the answer, which happens sometimes, they ask a sheikh for me and get back to me. Or I ask a sheikh myself. I then take their answer and trust it, as I already know their own validity and reliability from previously, therefore I do not need evidence and do not ask for it, I just want an answer. So please excuse me for me not having evidence. I was just trying to pass on my knowledge as I was given it. But if you want evidence ask for it from one of the sound sources I gave you.
              Last edited by hanoun; 09-04-12, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Maybe you're getting two separate issues confused - according to some scholars* woman may appear hijabless in photos BUT those photos should only be seen by other women, her husband and mahram relatives (i.e. those who are allowed to see her without hijab). If you put them on facebook then you can pretty much guarantee that someone who you don't want to see them will see them sooner or later, no matter what your privacy settings so to be on the safe side, don't post hijabless pics of yourself anywhere on the internet that is not 100% private. So to sum up, the photos are okay in themselves (according to these scholars) however showing them to non-mahrams or posting them where non-mahrams may see them, is not okay. There's two issues: permissability of photography, and who can see you without hijab.

*other scholars prohibit photography of people altogether

To the OP: mashaAllah that you're considering wearing hijab, my advice is to stop posting pics of yourself not in hijab where anyone can see them, because inshaAllah after you start wearing hijab, maybe not immediately but after you get used to it, then there's a high likelihood that you'll feel really bad about them, but Allah knows best. So inshaAllah remove what pics you can and don't post any more. That's my advice. According to some scholars you don't need to destroy your pictures without hijab, just keep them very private. Other scholars forbid photography altogether, and those scholars would recommend destroying the pics.
                Last edited by dhak1yya; 09-04-12, 12:34 PM.
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

while others on the other hand are only assuming it is not allowed while they have never gotten a ruling on this specific matter.[/QUOTE]But we are not assuming.
                  , I'm and others here are hundred percent sure about this.
                  Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

sister

lets think this thru

if you are wearing hijab, that means you are covering yourself as Allah has commanded, and that covering is meant for others NOT to see what Allah has commanded you to cover

if you keep your uncovered pictures available for others to see, then you are contradicting the entire reason of hijab (this does not mean that you should return to your previous state of disobedience to Allah) but that you should now take precautions to prevent your previous sin from spreading

i cannot fathom any muslim, much less a scholar, telling you that it is permissible to keep your pictures available

now, if there are pictures that you no longer have control over, then you should try to retrieve those also, but if you cannot, then let the matter be, and continually ask Allah's forgiveness for your previous sins (unless you are a new muslim, in which case, all previous sins were removed by your shahada)
                    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                      It's not just one or two people who are against this. But, pretty much any knowledgeable scholar would tell you that being hijabless on a picture is not allowed.

That's why I recommend you ask other scholars for the correct answer. :insha:
                      Ditto, Allah tabarak wata'ala makes it plain that the Hijaab is Compulsory in the Furqan, not optional as some people make out.

:jkk:
                      http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                        Ditto, Allah tabarak wata'ala makes it plain that the Hijaab is Compulsory in the Furqan, not optional as some people make out.

:jkk:
                        please do not mistake what I am saying. No one here is denying the obligation of al-Hijab. I am simply differentiating between the hijab in public, and the hijab in photos. In videos which non-marriageable males may see, however, the rules still apply the same as if the women were in public. But photos are different.
                        Unless you have asked or gotten a response from a scholar specifically about this matter of hijab in photos and not just hijab in general, please do not make a judgement about it.
                        You may wear your hijab in photos,that is just fine, if you feel uncomfortable doing otherwise/still have doubts. However please do not stray into making a judgement about it (halal vs. haram) yourself specifically about this matter solely based off your knowledge of the rules of hijab in public/in front of marriageable males. Once again, I used to also think the rules for being in public applied the same in a picture, but as soon as the topic came up and I had doubts I went and asked about it to be sure and it turned out I was wrong; the woman does not need to cover her hair in photos as she does in public/in front of marriageable males in person or on video.

Nevertheless I will drop this issue now and cease responses as it does not seem anybody will change their minds from furthering the discussion.

Salaam
                        Last edited by hanoun; 09-04-12, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Whatever the case, it is not permissible for a woman to obey anyone who tells her to disobey Allaah and take off her hijab in the street or in a picture.
                          IslamQA

If what you mean by your question is the camera photos for a non-veiled woman (no Hijab) it is unlawful because the head is Awrah (a part of the body which must be covered from all marriageable men) according to the consensus of the Muslim scholars. But it is lawful, according to the scholars, for the woman to unveil her face for necessary photos like ID photos, passport, driving license and the like.
                          IslamWeb

Comment

mirror
                            I do not know the reliability/trustworthiness/soundness of the internet sources you have given therefore I cannot just take what you have quoted for fact. As we know we must look into our sources for Islamic knowledge as it's an extremely serious matter.

but again the sources i did post above are reliable, you may email them and see what they say about this matter.

best wishes

Comment

How do I know they are reliable?

If what you are saying is true, then to me and all of us in here, their ruling goes against what's correct.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X