Prayer/Wudu Issues In America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayer/Wudu Issues In America?

Ok, I know this is kind of a personal subject, and even I am a bit shy about it.... But its something that has been really bothering me, and I was wondering if anyone (particularly ladies) has any advice about it? Answers in a private message are ok too, if that is more appropriate.

I'm American. Converted to Islam recently (used to be Christian/Mormon). Some mosques have rooms for wudu, but here are NO mosques within an hour's driving distance me. And I am a very busy little lady... I am out of the house and away from home most of the day (work, college, etc.). No kids, not married.

And well.... I'm having some issues with wudu and prayer.

So basically... With how many times we have to wash and pray each day... How do you do this in AMERICA, when you have no Muslim buildings anywhere near you, the restrooms are not wudu-friendly, and you can't keep running back home every time you need to pray? lol.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated,

Melissa

Re: Prayer/Wudu Issues In America?

:salams

Well, first of all, welcome to Islam, sister. May Allah make it easy for you and keep you on the Straight Path.

As for wudu, if you make wudu, then your wudu will stay valid as long as you do not do any action that breaks your wudu.

Actions that nullifies wudu: Click Here

If, for some reason, your wudu breaks, then you can renew it anywhere there is clean water. Most likely all restrooms have tap water which is OK to make wudu with. You don't have to run back home every time.
    Last edited by .mirror.; 27-01-12, 01:12 AM.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Asalaam 3Alaykum

Welcome to islam sister:) I wish I can help you but I stay home so im no use to you. Just wanted to welcome you:)

Comment

asalamu alaikum sister

welcome to islam
        since you cant find water or use the unwelcomed restroom water just do tayamum.
        Last edited by h-rahman; 27-01-12, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone :)

I will have to read up on tayamum, as I am still new and learning...

Of course washing the face and hands in a public restroom, that is ok, I don't have a problem with that. I guess my main concern with wudu is things like the feet and lower body. American restrooms do not have those water hoses near the toilet, like many eastern restrooms do. And its not really appropriate to wash the feet and lower body in public sinks, while everyone is watching you...

I am considering just doing a lot of extra prayers before I leave the house, and then doing the rest after I get home, lol.

Comment

Well if its about after going to the bathroom then take a water bottle with you in the stall:) This way you have water right there in the toilet.

Comment

Sister, you cannot perform tayammum. This isn't a situation where you are allowed to perform tayammum because you do have water available to you.

Also, you should never delay salaah. Praying lots of nafl salaah before leaving will not substitute for the fardh salaah. Fard salaah are to be prayed on time.

I know it might feel awkward, but really think about it. On one hand you have the salaah, which is the most important thing for Muslims, and on the other hand we have other people looking at us and feeling weird. In the end, we worry more about the salaah than other people.
              Last edited by .mirror.; 29-01-12, 09:00 AM.
              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

Use the disabled toilets. They always have a sink in the toilet
                Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Comment

Assalam-uAlaikum welcome!

So most brothers and sisters will tell you the same. The tap water at restrooms are clean. Your concern is the floor and how to wash your feet. Well with that, u can simply run water with your hand over your socks. Its aloud to run water over your socks. As long as your feet were clean from before and you didnt sweat and etc. and when you do wet with your hands, doesnt have to be drenched. Just your hands ran over your feet.

As for cleaning ur lower part of your body? Well like the sister said before... You can take a water bottle with you inside the stall for a quick cleanse.

I hope this helps.
                  Take care!

Allah Hafiz

Comment

You can only run your wet hands over leather socks or something similar to it.

Comment

When i am at work I take a water bottle with me and I wear special socks on which I can do masah(wipe a wet hand over instead of washing)
                      Alhumdulillah

Comment

Salaam Alaykum sister,

Welcome to Islam. May Allah, Most Gracious continue to guide you, make you steadfast in this Perfect way of Life and make it easy for you to be of those Closest to Him.

Ameen.

As for washing your feet for wudhoo in a public place - best is to do wudhoo before leaving your home, wear sock and then whenever you have to do wudhoo outside, you can just wipe your wet hand over the socks.

Now, there is a difference of opinion among the 4 different Madhabs about what kind of socks are permissible. With some saying that they have to be leather socks, while others saying that the socks can be cloth material, but they should be think & not transparent.
                        This is my understanding, but if I am wrong then I ask someone to correct me on the above.

I follow the latter opinion that wiping over socks made of cloth is permissible, which is what I would recommend you to do as well.

And Allah knows best.

You can refer to this for more info:

islamqa.info/en/ref/13954
                        islamqa.info/en/ref/2171
                        islamqa.info/en/ref/12796
                        islamqa.info/en/ref/9640

http://islamqa.info/en/search/wiping...AllWords/t,q,a

Salaams.

Comment

When I met my first Muslim friend, it was when he was sticking his foot in a sink. Like a regular sink that's up high. "What the %$#! are you doing?!" loool Alhamdulilah he explained it and then invited me to the prayer. :up:
                          [CENTER]Fighting Jihad is an obligation on us. What is this talking of Jihad only being of the nafs?[/CENTER]

Comment

As Salam Sister
                            What I tend to do usually is to combine my prayers (zuhr & Asar, or maghrib & isha') when it is not permissible/convenient for me to perform my prayers outside, so I combine them and do them at home when I return. Another suggestion is for you to carry a mini spray bottle filled with clean water to facilitate your ablution process. This is what I do when I am flying especially since the toilets in airplanes are tiny. This way you can take your wudhu in your own seat!
                            Hope this helps.

Comment

If you use the disabled toilets then you can do wudu without anyone looking at you. Sorted :)

Comment

Working...
                              X