urgent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent

I am in a lot of mental distress right now, and I can not say with words what it would mean to receive help at this time. I think I have an idea to get myself out of this.

I make very large promises to allah that I always fail in in the end. For example: "I will give my entire life to allah, and I will never disobey again", after 3 days i burn out, and revert to all sins.

I realise now that why i fail is because what I do is unrealistic and too much, especially for someone who has a bad lifestyle.

I want to be a good muslim, even if I have to start with baby steps.

What is the first thing a muslim should focus on when they want to return to allah?

Is it the heart? Is it knowledge? Is it salah? Is it character? Is it quran?

I seem to do all in one, and then because it's too much I leave everything. So rather then failing over and over again, I want to ask: what is the most important thing which I should focus on right now.

t.i.a

also if sisters want to PM me, I would be grateful to you
    Last edited by waarom; 05-01-12, 08:41 PM.

Re: urgent

As salaamualeikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu.

I think the first thing would be tawbah, sincere repentance. Tawheed, the belief in one God, is the most important part of our faith. Allah has created us specifically so that we worship him. So prayer is the ultimate most important act a Muslim can do. And duas are the weapons of the believers. Make sincere dua' to Allah swt to strengthen you and keep you on the straight path, since He is the only one who can.

So: Repent. Believe in Allah swt alone. Pray your salat. Make dua'.

May Allah strengthen and guide you sis, Ameen.
    "Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2

Comment

the times i've been most distressed are when i neglect my salah so i would start there. when things take their toll on you sometimes you just try to get through the day and if it's really bad you're just trying to make it to the next salah. i think those 5 daily timeouts from life will help if you remain consistent because it's showing a sign of faith combined with action. that's probably one of the best ways to get back in Allah swt's favor.

Comment

I think there are a couple of things that can be done as first steps:

- Stick to your 5 daily prayers

- If there are certain things that you know influence you towards sin then cut those specific things out of your life (eg friends who are a bad influence, or hanging out at nightclubs, or alcohol/drugs)

I don't know if any of those issues apply to you. Also "going cold turkey" (ie staying away from sinful things which you desired or found pleasurable) in itself might not be enough because you will end up occupying your time thinking about it and how much you miss it and how hard it is to stay away from such things (this is typical addicted behaviour and quite a normal reaction under the circumstances) but the best way of overcoming such feelings is to spend your time in a better way doing something else that will help keep your mind occupied with something other than sin. For different people, different techniques help. For some it helps to read Quran regularly, for others doing dhikr, some people try to seek out decent friends who will not influence them towards bad things... but even if you don't feel that Islamically inclined, just sticking to your 5 salah and focussing your mind and time towards something that does not incline towards sin would be useful as well such as studies, hobbies and interests such as photography or sports, blogging, spending time with family (unless your family try to incline you towards sin) etc.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by waarom View Post
          I am in a lot of mental distress right now, and I can not say with words what it would mean to receive help at this time. I think I have an idea to get myself out of this.

I make very large promises to allah that I always fail in in the end. For example: "I will give my entire life to allah, and I will never disobey again", after 3 days i burn out, and revert to all sins.

I realise now that why i fail is because what I do is unrealistic and too much, especially for someone who has a bad lifestyle.

What is the first thing a muslim should focus on when they want to return to allah?

Is it the heart? Is it knowledge? Is it salah? Is it character? Is it quran?

I seem to do all in one, and then because it's too much I leave everything. So rather then failing over and over again, I want to ask: what is the most important thing which I should focus on right now.

t.i.a

also if sisters want to PM me, I would be grateful to you
          The most important thing for you sister/brother is to understand your deen. Not just to gain knowledge, but to understand islam, understand akhira and the grave. Surround yourself with good people to help you make better change.

These are essential inshAllah!
          If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
          There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

Originally posted by waarom View Post

You know the solution. As others have mentioned, start with sincere repentance and that will insha'Allah start you off with the first steps you need to develop Taqwa (awareness of ALLAH (SWT)).

And as you've stated, do not make such oaths that you know you most likely won't be able to fulfill; that is a major sin in itself.
            'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Working...
            X