X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenicca
    replied
    Re: Do chocolates still make you happy?

Zee or seven, could you please make a thread listing known companies that use child labour etc etc, or perhaps direct to a website.

That way, we can all inshaallah benefit.

Leave a comment:

• stealthninja
    replied

asda smart price milk chocolate only 30p for a big 120g bar. can't go wrong. brought 3 today and plan on subsisting on them over the next 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• sajid
    replied

Chocolates make me feel sleepy within 15 mins of eating!

Cadburys especially for some reason

nestle ones dont that have the same effect!

Leave a comment:

• Islam.07
    replied

Chocolate :(

Leave a comment:

• F_R
    replied

Jee

Leave a comment:

• Pippin1376
    replied

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
    Besides, chocolate doesn't make you feel worse afterwards, it leaves you wanting more!! :p
    That's so true. Once I had a Ferrero Rocher and then I instantly wanted more. Having one piece of chocolate is simply irresponsible, you have to have 2...or an odd number like 5.

Leave a comment:

• RevertRenee
    replied

Originally posted by seven View Post
    "In an investigation into the supply chain that delivers much of the chocolate sold in the UK - more than half a million tonnes a year - the BBC found evidence of human trafficking and child slave labour.

Chocolate: The Bitter Truth
    The Hershey company in the US had a problem with bringing over people from Europe, Asia....etc gave them their paper work and then made them work for very little pay, basically illegal wages. These people worked long hours in slave like conditions, this was only last year and there was a huge fuss about it. I'm hoping things have changed

Leave a comment:

• Juvegirl
    replied

Yusuf Hamza talked about this at RIS this year. I was shocked. He said that something like 70% of all the chocolate we consume is from child labour. I haven't had anything but the fair trade chocolate I bought at the convention since and everytime I see chocolate, instead of craving it I feel rotten.

He also said the average (American? North American?) has 59? slaves. Meaning, that's how many slaves worldwide work to produce the goods we buy. Ya Allah. And he went on to say something about how there so much depression...

We really need to get smart about these issues.

Leave a comment:

• hamza05
    replied

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
    Buy fairtrade? Divine chocs! :inlove: http://www.divinechocolate.com/default.aspx
    "Panorama has seen documents which show that in September 2009, the Fairtrade cocoa co-operative in Ghana which supplies Cadbury and Divine, suspended seven out of 33 of their cocoa farming communities in one of its 52 major growing districts in the country after they were found to be using the worst forms of child labour."

so if you bought chocs from devine before sept 09 there is greater chance you never really ate fairtrade chocs. plus if its the same place they supply to cadburys you rather buy from them than the devine website as its really expensive.

Leave a comment:

• seven
    replied

Originally posted by .Abu.Rambo. View Post
    did u watch hamza yusufs latest lecture was about this! i try to only but fair trade but fall short in some areas inshAllah will give some things up
    yeah... that's what made me post this topic.

i posted the vid here: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...suf-FAIR-TRADE

Leave a comment:

• seven
    replied

chocolate leave you wanting more because it's leaves you unsatified...

it's guilt (of eating too much chocolate) that makes you stop... not that it's made you feel better! :p

Leave a comment:

• ze leetle elper
    replied

I agree, if there is a known issue of mistreatement orabuse in the manufacturing/ production chain then we should avoid, whether its food, clothes, material goods etc. But to have a blanket ban on all chocolate whether or not we know they have these issues shouldn't happen!

Besides, chocolate doesn't make you feel worse afterwards, it leaves you wanting more!! :p

What does make you feel worse afterwards is caffiene...tea/ coffee trade?

Leave a comment:

• .Abu.Rambo.
    replied

did u watch hamza yusufs latest lecture was about this! i try to only but fair trade but fall short in some areas inshAllah will give some things up

Leave a comment:

• seven
    replied

people say how food/clothing are produced will have an effect on you.

e.g. if you have milk from a cow that has been treated well and leads a natural organic life, then it's milk will have a positive effect on you... mentally and physically.

but if you have foods that have been produced through suffering, like child labour or mistreated animals, then this will have a negative effect on you.

maybe that's why the respite some people get from chocolate tends to be temporary and you end up feeling worse afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• deen1984
    replied

we should be giving up chocolates unless we want to wear false teeth at an early age. i'm tempted every day at work, they keep replenishing their supply with tins and boxes daily lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X