Do chocolates still make you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do chocolates still make you happy?

"In an investigation into the supply chain that delivers much of the chocolate sold in the UK - more than half a million tonnes a year - the BBC found evidence of human trafficking and child slave labour.

Chocolate: The Bitter Truth
    Take a step into our unique Muslim Montessori school:
    http://campaign.justgiving.com/…/a-…/buildalamiyahschool2015

Donate your sadaqah to help build a Model School for all our children.
    Please watch our school appeal: https://youtu.be/SY819jmCbzw

Text SCHL15 followed by £10 to 70070 and make a difference.
    Please forward this message to help turn this vision into a reality.

The Prophet (SAW) also said, "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his Sadaqah." (Ahmad)

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Re: Do chocolates still make you happy?

My husband told me that chocolate has certain percentage of cockroach in it...they allow this cause you can't seem to get rid of the problem....yikes!
    My God is Allah, my belief is Islam, my hero is none other than Prophet Muhammad SAW and my favourite book is the unique Quran

Comment

Buy fairtrade? Divine chocs! :inlove: http://www.divinechocolate.com/default.aspx
      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Also to add I think there are elements of abuse and child labour in any product on the market, clothing, shoes, food, drinks, furniture, appliances, etc etc! I think one just has to research as much as they can and then go for the one which has the least chance of having these issues in the supply chain.

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

we should be giving up chocolates unless we want to wear false teeth at an early age. i'm tempted every day at work, they keep replenishing their supply with tins and boxes daily lol
          Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Comment

people say how food/clothing are produced will have an effect on you.

e.g. if you have milk from a cow that has been treated well and leads a natural organic life, then it's milk will have a positive effect on you... mentally and physically.

but if you have foods that have been produced through suffering, like child labour or mistreated animals, then this will have a negative effect on you.

maybe that's why the respite some people get from chocolate tends to be temporary and you end up feeling worse afterwards?

The Prophet (SAW) also said, "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his Sadaqah." (Ahmad)

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Comment

did u watch hamza yusufs latest lecture was about this! i try to only but fair trade but fall short in some areas inshAllah will give some things up
              ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
              Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

I agree, if there is a known issue of mistreatement orabuse in the manufacturing/ production chain then we should avoid, whether its food, clothes, material goods etc. But to have a blanket ban on all chocolate whether or not we know they have these issues shouldn't happen!

Besides, chocolate doesn't make you feel worse afterwards, it leaves you wanting more!! :p

What does make you feel worse afterwards is caffiene...tea/ coffee trade?

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Comment

chocolate leave you wanting more because it's leaves you unsatified...

it's guilt (of eating too much chocolate) that makes you stop... not that it's made you feel better! :p

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Comment

Originally posted by .Abu.Rambo. View Post
                    did u watch hamza yusufs latest lecture was about this! i try to only but fair trade but fall short in some areas inshAllah will give some things up
                    yeah... that's what made me post this topic.

i posted the vid here: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...suf-FAIR-TRADE

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
                      Buy fairtrade? Divine chocs! :inlove: http://www.divinechocolate.com/default.aspx
                      "Panorama has seen documents which show that in September 2009, the Fairtrade cocoa co-operative in Ghana which supplies Cadbury and Divine, suspended seven out of 33 of their cocoa farming communities in one of its 52 major growing districts in the country after they were found to be using the worst forms of child labour."

so if you bought chocs from devine before sept 09 there is greater chance you never really ate fairtrade chocs. plus if its the same place they supply to cadburys you rather buy from them than the devine website as its really expensive.

Comment

Yusuf Hamza talked about this at RIS this year. I was shocked. He said that something like 70% of all the chocolate we consume is from child labour. I haven't had anything but the fair trade chocolate I bought at the convention since and everytime I see chocolate, instead of craving it I feel rotten.

He also said the average (American? North American?) has 59? slaves. Meaning, that's how many slaves worldwide work to produce the goods we buy. Ya Allah. And he went on to say something about how there so much depression...

We really need to get smart about these issues.
                        "Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2

Comment

Originally posted by seven View Post
                          "In an investigation into the supply chain that delivers much of the chocolate sold in the UK - more than half a million tonnes a year - the BBC found evidence of human trafficking and child slave labour.

Chocolate: The Bitter Truth
                          The Hershey company in the US had a problem with bringing over people from Europe, Asia....etc gave them their paper work and then made them work for very little pay, basically illegal wages. These people worked long hours in slave like conditions, this was only last year and there was a huge fuss about it. I'm hoping things have changed

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
                            Besides, chocolate doesn't make you feel worse afterwards, it leaves you wanting more!! :p
                            That's so true. Once I had a Ferrero Rocher and then I instantly wanted more. Having one piece of chocolate is simply irresponsible, you have to have 2...or an odd number like 5.
                            مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                            It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                            Surah al-Baqarah
                            [2:245]

.:.
                            .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                            Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
                            ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Jee

لا تفكر كثيرا
                              بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                              The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                              -------------------------------------------------------
                              www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X