Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like my voice...

Assalamu3laikum,

I have a problem, I read Qur'an regularly and even memorize, but the thing is I hate my voice/tilawa, and I know the saying of the prophet (saw) that whoever recites the Qur'an with difficulty, stuttering and such will get twice the reward of the one who doesn't, but its just that my tilawa discourages me from reading because it is so bad, and even though my family have said it is good, I think they only say that to be nice and encourage me.

I currently read the Qur'an silently, however as for my prayers, fajr, maghrib and isha prayers are salat jahriya (vocal prayers) and so I have to read out loud whilst offering those specific prayers, and because my tilawa is so crap, it distracts me like in my khushu3

any comments...?

Re: I don't like my voice...

wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah

Okay, you won't get better with your voice until you recite loudly. You have to practice with your voice otherwise it won't develop. I can honestly tell you from experience, your voice will improve, and maybe you won't be able to do the fancy voice things on the mudood (which actually you shouldn't be doing because it adds extra letters sometimes wAllahu a'lam) but anyone who recites in tajweed, their recitation instantly turns beautiful. Maybe that kind of recitation is better. I loved recitation that had a nice tune, but now I prefer slow recitations, who may have no fancy tune but they give every letter their haqq... and because of that their recitation is beautified.

Don't concentrate on your voice, this will come, but concentrate on applying the rules of tajweed and tarteel, and get a qualified Qur'an teacher (if you don't already), this will help you very much.

I struggle with holding my breath and my voice, because not everyone has a strong voice, but you must practice aloud. It will help you in your memorisation also.
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Originally posted by AlKatheeri View Post
      Assalamu3laikum,

I have a problem, I read Qur'an regularly and even memorize, but the thing is I hate my voice/tilawa, and I know the saying of the prophet (saw) that whoever recites the Qur'an with difficulty, stuttering and such will get twice the reward of the one who doesn't, but its just that my tilawa discourages me from reading because it is so bad, and even though my family have said it is good, I think they only say that to be nice and encourage me.

I currently read the Qur'an silently, however as for my prayers, fajr, maghrib and isha prayers are salat jahriya (vocal prayers) and so I have to read out loud whilst offering those specific prayers, and because my tilawa is so crap, it distracts me like in my khushu3

any comments...?
      :wswrwb:

Well I hate ma voice swell but not as much as you do :S Why don't you be more confident? Maybe listen to some sheikhs and maybe imitate their way of reading (obviously your voice won't change but the rhythm can).

And also read with tajweed, that's the main thing you need to concentrate on, get each letter's pronunciation pinpoint nshaAllah.. That will make a lot of difference..
      http://s14.postimg.org/v1lw1cm69/ummahanim.gif
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/akh_fuaadh

Comment

For many years of my life i had issues with reciting with a killer voice like shaykh abdullah matrood so i decided to recite flat or recite with shaykh husary's melody may allah shower his mercy on his soul.
        So my shuyuukh told me that if i wanted a to improve on my voice i would have to look inward because a good voice is a voice that has khusu' in their tilawah.
        the also adviced me that sins are a major cause for someone not developing a good voice. but the voice can only come if someone has mastered tajweed. because tajweed is your base and the voice is reflection of the soul. so if you recite with tajweed then you just keep recitiing and practising and you will notice that you will recite a certain way.

i discovered this when was around 16 and alhamudlilah i stuck with the melody that i developed nurtured and developed it.
        as for the fancy mudood thing as sister hamnah said is something that will come with khusu' and you can have the fancy mudood thing without going outside the bounds of tajweed and not relate it to a musical scale

make sure that you do not imitate people that does not develop your voice sure everyone start with a shaykh and some resemblence to that shaykh will remain but not noticable.

your own voice will develop when you connect with quran on a level where you feel the power of the quran. simply listen to shaykh abdel basit and shaykh husary mustapha ismail may allah have mercy upon them . its so obvious that they are reciting with their heart and soul and their connecting and pondering over what they are reciting.

your tool : tajweed and clear and focused mind

your aim : to gain taqwa ,khusu' and reward

A large part of recitation is confidence remember your pleasing allah by reading quran dont let the shaytaan fool you
        the apparent result a voice that is beautiful and inspiring
        and make lots of dua allah azza wa jal hears all the dua

Last edited by AhlulQuran88; 03-01-12, 05:00 PM.

Comment

You should enter Saudia arabias got talent then! clear alot of misconceptions about your voice.

Jk Jk.. Don't worry I am sure your family are being sincere.. even if they are not continue without these thoughts and be content with what you have got and take other peoples advice above my post.

Just count yourself lucky.. think about how darth vader must feel at a restaurant when he orders food. :P
          ׺°”˜`”°º×WaiTinG FoR JeSuS To ReTurn׺°”˜`”°º×

Comment

Assalamu3laikum,

I currently read the Qur'an silently,
            Wa alaikum salaam

Do you mean that you just do it in your heart or mind without actually vocalising it? Because then as far as I know, that doesn't count as recitation.

And Allah ta'ala knows best.
            "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
            (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

What matters is the khusu`o

Read the quran with understanding and with it coming from your heart.I know of shuyukh who were not blessed with beautiful voices , but maa sha`Allah their recitation brings peace and khushu`o to the listener.Do not give up akhi , and do not let shaytan play his games on you.
              Jannah is my aim

Comment

:start:

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ‏ ‏صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ
                ‏ ‏ إِنَّ مِنْ أَحْسَنِ النَّاسِ صَوْتًا بِالْقُرْآنِ الَّذِي إِذَا سَمِعْتُمُوهُ يَقْرَأُ حَسِبْتُمُوهُ ‏ ‏يَخْشَى اللَّهَ

The Prophet :saw: said, “The person with the best voice regarding the recitation of the Quran is he who, when you hear him recite, you perceive that he fears Allah.

(Sunan ibn Majah)
                "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
                (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

...and because my tilawa is so crap..
                  Brother, please watch your language when talking about Sacred things.
                  'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Salam,
                    Lol my voice is terrible too but I am trying to improve inshallah
                    I don't if I'm the only one or something but if I recite in my head or whisper really quietly I can produce a really good tone which sounds really nice and sounds like tanvir hussain
                    But when I read out load I try to replicate this but with failure

May Allah bless us all with voices that we will be able to develop inshallah

In terms of developing should I just keep doing khatam after khatam?

Do not sit idle, for indeed death is seeking you.

Al Hasan Al Basre [RA]

Comment

Originally posted by 786ridz View Post
                      Salam,
                      Lol my voice is terrible too but I am trying to improve inshallah
                      I don't if I'm the only one or something but if I recite in my head or whisper really quietly I can produce a really good tone which sounds really nice and sounds like tanvir hussain
                      But when I read out load I try to replicate this but with failure

May Allah bless us all with voices that we will be able to develop inshallah

In terms of developing should I just keep doing khatam after khatam?
                      No point doing khatam, it's only gonna make you more fluent learn tajweed iA if you don't and if you do then try to perfect it!

Comment

Should I learn tajweed through reading text books or practice?

Do not sit idle, for indeed death is seeking you.

Al Hasan Al Basre [RA]

Comment

Brother, how can you learn Tajweed without hearing how the Words of ALLAH (SWT) should be pronounced ?
                          'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Learn through a ustadh akh, it's the best way, because you will make mistakes which you won't realise. Look for a tajweed teacher in your area iA.

Comment

Working...
                            X