Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your motivation for going to university?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was your motivation for going to university?

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    For teaching practice did you have to teach a mixed class of older people? I'm guessing they don't allow niqab?
    No the students weren't over 50, my colleagues were. I don't wear niqab so didn't ask, but I don't imagine they would feel it is conducive for building teacher/student rapport. There are centres in Birmingham and London that facilitate women only CELTA training.

Comment

No motivation
      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Just to clarify that you teach a class every second week for 45 minutes, but don't mix with them as such. It is your colleagues that you would need to mix with, but if you do the blended option that is minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
          :salams

Just was wondering what was the motivation behind people going to uni. I know there's quite a lot of people on this forum are either at uni, finished uni or planning on going to uni. Just want to ask what is or was the main motivation behind your decison to spend all that time and money studying for that degree?

Keep in mind you may have multiple reasons but I'm asking what is or was the main motivation. There is a poll attached.

Was it:

1) A means to an end - Was the degree simply a means to an end. Did you need that piece of paper to pursue a particular career. Did you do it to increase your employability and potential future earnings. Did you have an Islamic motivation and saw the degree as a means to do something for Islam.

2) An end in itself - Do you like studying for the sake of studying. Did you pursue that degree because you are really interested in the subject and wanted to research it further and develop your understanding of it. Are you really academic minded and really enjoy studying and researching.

3) Make parents happy - Were your parents insistent on you pursuing a degree so you simply did to make them happy.

4) Marriage prospects - Did you do it to improve your marriage prospects. It may not be right but we live in a time where many aunties and uncles make having a degree an almost pre-requisite when it comes to marriage. Was this the motivation behind your decision.

5) A back-up plan - I've seen sisters mention this a few times on this forum when the topic of university has come up. Was the motivation behind your degree to simply have something to fall back on.

6) Just did it because most people my age were doing it - Did you do it because that was what your friends were doing so you did it as well.

7) Other - Any other reason that has not been mentioned above.

Keep in mind some of the reasons in the poll above may be a bit far-fetched but these are actually some reasons people give nowadays.
          To learn how to be a good.moderate coconut house mozlum and do my national duty by showing how I work for great Britain and give ultimately pay ass mucchhhh tax as I can as I am very patriotic for great Britishness,

He he, jk I had no idea what I wanted to do, so went with smthing that is stable in career potential

Comment

AW: What was your motivation for going to university?

to me it was that I could migrate for Allah after that in a muslim country and marry an arab . The plan didnt work though lol :P
            'A slave's life is all you understand, you know nothing of freedom. For if you did, you would have encouraged us to fight on, not only with our spears, but with everything we have'

Comment

Hate being in classes with non muslims and non practising guys. They have issues, even if I tried to keep to myself, the problem is on their side. They're too open, too easy going, no haya. They don't keep their hands to themselves. They have conversations that you'd rather not hear. Older people are generally a little bit more mature, but even they don't understand boundaries sometimes.

Online education or to go abroad where schools are segregated seems to be the only options left. Everything else is risky.
              شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
              فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
              وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
              ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

[MENTION=48066]Umm Fatimah[/MENTION]

can you tell me about your experience with OU

I feel completely drained of motivation for the degree I'm studying rn
                Last edited by Jumpski; 27-11-17, 12:14 AM.
                It all starts with a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpski View Post
                  [MENTION=48066]Umm Fatimah[/MENTION]

can you tell me about your experience with OU

I feel completely drained of motivation for the degree I'm studying rn
                  Alhamdulillah I generally had a good experience. You do need to have some self motivation though. I did my degree before the change in fees occurred which meant that it cost less than £4k alhamdulillah. Now it is approx £5k per year. There are online tutorials and some face to face ones but they are not obligatory to attend. The standard of materials is apparently very good but I know the gulf countries are very strange about any qualifications gained online, hence why I did postgrad from a red brick university. Some jobs in the gulf state on the application "QUALIFICATIONS FROM DISTANCE LEARNING NOT ACCEPTED".

Comment

Seems familiar this kind of thread.
                    Hmmm, interesting answers.

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post

learning certain things you can't on your own, or you can but it would be very very difficult. Frankly I don't like the way schooling is set up, I think it just turns people off. Back in the days you could actually be something serious after high school because the tools you need would be taught in highschool, while post schooling would make it go deeper into specifics. High school now is just 4 years of un-focused chilling period where they don't teach you nothing productive you can use to actually make a good living.

That is another rant anyway.

I wouldn't go to uni if I had a instructor who could teach me what I want to know first hand. But seems impossible without uni
                      I share the same sentiments too. But I get the feeling we are overpaying the professors in school, especially in this day an age where there's additional resources like the internet.

Comment

Working...
                      X