X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faridym
    replied
    Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

It would be wise to teach children in a playful manner and is interesting for them. I know a lot of families who bought a digital quran player

This way it stays fun and interesting for kids to learn as they easily gets distracted.

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

Originally posted by bint begum View Post
    Don't know but i remember reading it from a hadith a while ago.
    As did I, but I was making the point on having read about it. To be fair, if the child's parents are as they should be, then they would have thoroughly exhausted their efforts in trying to get their child to pray or what-have-you before they resort to this.

Here's some information anyway.

Leave a comment:

• AkhRidz
    replied

Salam,
    As a child entering teenhood this is my take on this:

- In my opinion it does not matter about institution's or schools IF there has not been a foundation laid at home
    - For example I have friends who go to mosque everyday but yet they sware, openly mix with girls, often miss salah, smoking and this is probably the worst of it all:
    - their iman is so weak that if you were to confront them with a quote saying that what they do is wrong they would not CARE

If the parents from a young age are not establishing a proper religious education then the child will be led astray
    As the Prophet (PBUH) said

"This is my path leading straight, so follow it. And do not follow the other paths, ore else you will be separated from His path"

If a new child is born and the parents nurture the child with love and show them Islam from a young age then they will love it why? Because all they have known is Islam, they know of nothing else as from their birth Islam has been shown to them

For example King Charles II was executed as he constantly argued with parliament, why? because his father had taught him anything he wanted goes

This was all he knew so to suddenly have to listen to others was a shock

Likewise when suddenly being "forced" to go to mosque if an Islamic education was not setup early they will not familiar with this

Salam,
    I thought it would be good to have a childs view on this
    Yes I am in the West

Leave a comment:

• inprogress
    replied

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
    Is it permissible to hit children as a form of discipline?

Question: “The teacher may sometimes turn to hitting in order to discipline is student. Firstly, is it permissible to hit the student? Secondly, is it permissible to hit him in the face?”

Answer: As far as hitting in the face, this is not permissible due to the statement of the Prophet, may peace and blessings be upon him, “Do not hit the face and do not defigure.” Regarding the second part, is it permissible to hit the student in general as a means of discipline; the answer must make mention of the statement of the Prophet, “Command your children to pray when they reach the age of seven and hit them if they leave it off when they reach the age of ten and separate them from each other in the beds.”

In this hadith is a proof that for the student, rather the child, whether he is a student or not, it is not permissible for the one in charge of him to hit him due to his deficiency in obeying the commands until he reaches the age of ten. Command your children to pray when they reach the age of seven and hit them if they leave it off when they reach the age of ten and separate them from each other in the beds. Without a doubt, the Hukm (ruling) or Ahimiyah (importance) of whatever knowledge any teacher wants to present to his students will not be equal to the importance of prayer. Therefore, if the Prophet himself prohibits the father from hitting his child due to not praying, until he reaches the age of ten, then with all the more reason, it is not permissible for other than the father (from those in charge) to hit the children for something other than leaving off the salah until he reaches the age of ten. Thus, it is not permissible for the teacher to hit the child even if he did not obey him regarding the salah. What else exists from the other affairs that are as important as the Salah.

“In this connection, I would like to also add that the age of puberty for girls and boys differs tremendously from country to country. I know that in general, in countries of warm climate, the hormones may mature at a faster rate; thus the age of takleef (duty: obligation to observe precepts of religion) would be reached at an earlier age than it would in a colder climate. Then this rule should not be taken in a general way but rather each country should study the children or it should be done in a more detailed way. For example one would find out whether this particular child reached the age of puberty or is he still in childhood? So whatever seems to predominate from this study, the hukm (ruling) would be decided.”

He was then asked: “With regards to hitting, if the child had bad manners and hit..”

Sheikh Al-Albaani began saying:

“There is no hitting, no hitting at all. Rather there is directing, advising and speech. Sometimes words have a greater affect on people than hitting. In addition, hitting with some people does not help at all, rather it makes them continue on what their upon more and more. What is important is that the best of all guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, may peace and blessings be upon him. Thus the child is not to be hit so long that he did not reach the age of puberty.

“On this note, I understand from the gradual teaching of the Prophet that was previously mentioned in the hadith, ‘Command your children to pray . ‘ to the end of the hadith, I understand from this hadith that it is wrong what I see take place with many fathers. He commands his child to pray before reaching the age of seven. This is opposition to the commandment of the Prophet, may peace and blessings be upon him. ‘Command your children to pray when they reach the age of seven.’ That is why it is not appropriate for the Muslim to put the commandment in effect before what the Prophet defined initially. It is ok for the father to permit his child to come along with him to pray with him in the masjid. But as far as him telling him, “Come here, get up, go make wudoo’ and pray.” and the child has not yet reached the age of seven, this is opposition to this hadith, so I just wanted to remind you all of that.”

He was also asked: “Sheikh, regarding hitting, sometimes you find students leave their houses and have no manners, even good advice does not benefit them, so does hitting them fall into necessity?”

Sheikh Al-Albaani (rahimahullaah) replied: “There is no necessity, where is the necessity here. Can you comprehend that hitting would benefit when the One who created him said, do not hit him until he reaches the age of ten.”

[Excerpt taken: from an audio cassette lecture titled: “La Qushoor fil Islam.” by: Sheikh Al-Albaani (rahimahullaah)|Ruling On Hitting Children]
    JazakAllah khair for this. It is a very good, needed reminder, MashAllah.

Leave a comment:

• inprogress
    replied

So is the issue motivating them to want to learn Quran, or is the issue keeping order and discipline in the classroom while you teach? I think those are two different but related things. I think it has to start with them loving to please Allah and get reward from Allah.

Sometimes when I ask something of my children I start out asking "who wants to get a reward from Allah?" They both get really excited "I do! I do!" then I ask them to help me put the dinner out or what not and tell them they get rewarded for obeying their mother, etc. My kids are still preschoolers so it might work better on them, but I would go with taking the same concept with the other kids.

When they start getting distracted try to say something playful, engaging that will get their attention and let them know something positive is coming. I find that works very well for me in general, when I am on the verge of getting angry or yelling, instead of showing them I am upset, I might grab them and tickle them or start some kind of game so that it lets down their defenses and gets rid of the "me against them" vibe, where you feel like you are starting a battle to force them into something and they are trying to resist. If you are having trouble keeping them focused you can also have a routine of ringing a bell, and when you ring the bell they know they all sit down quietly and look at you, or something similar. If they are really not listening, instead of shouting, you can go turn off the lights. That almost always gets their attention. Also, remember it is hard for them to sit still and focus for long periods of time so give them regular short breaks where they can move around.

Just some random tips for working with young kids. I hope some of that helps.

Leave a comment:

• bint begum
    replied

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
    Wouldn't that be merely symbolic? It doesn't exactly come across as "hitting" or "smacking", and isn't it a last resort?
    Don't know but i remember reading it from a hadith a while ago.

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

The only time it's permissible to smack children is if they've reached the age of 10 and refuse to pray. Light smacks btw, not beatings which leave marks on the body etc.
    Wouldn't that be merely symbolic? It doesn't exactly come across as "hitting" or "smacking", and isn't it a last resort?

Leave a comment:

• bint begum
    replied

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I don't know why anyone would think hitting a child is okay, never mind when trying to teach them Qur'an and the love of Allah through this. Where did Rasulullah :saw: say its okay to hit children? Did he not say to look after children and be patient with them?
    The only time it's permissible to smack children is if they've reached the age of 10 and refuse to pray. Light smacks btw, not beatings which leave marks on the body etc.

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

I don't know why anyone would think hitting a child is okay, never mind when trying to teach them Qur'an and the love of Allah through this. Where did Rasulullah :saw: say its okay to hit children? Did he not say to look after children and be patient with them?

Leave a comment:

• *asiya*
    replied

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    agreed that beatings are wrong but how do we teach and instil values , in the madrasa where i teach on weekends you cant even get kids to listen to you. and hence as a teacher you get the feeling that your breath is beng wasted on kids that dont want to be there.
    i used to teach little kids age from 3-12 be nice to them, get to know them, engage them, listen to them, be kind to them, and they will love coming to ur classes and doing their work insha Allah. kindness always goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

• Amalthea
    replied

inprogress, you're right. but it's easy for children to get distracted and misbehave so i think there's no harm in giving them some sort of reward for good behaviour. they're children after all, it's almost impossible to control them if their's no sort of system. plus the reward is for their behaviour, not their memorisation. atleast, that's how i see it.

Leave a comment:

• AhlulQuran88
    replied

agreed that beatings are wrong but how do we teach and instil values , in the madrasa where i teach on weekends you cant even get kids to listen to you. and hence as a teacher you get the feeling that your breath is beng wasted on kids that dont want to be there.

Leave a comment:

• *asiya*
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AhlulQuran88
    replied

Originally posted by inprogress View Post
    First of all, why is it necessary for a 6 year old to memorize 200 pages a year ?
    Family tradition start at 6 finish at 9 and get your certificate from daddy

:salams

Beating is definitely not the way. Children should be eager and want to learn the Quran, they shouldn't learn because of fear.

If the children misbehave (which all children do) then make them sit in the corner, speak to their parents etc but don't put your hands on them.

If you feel like you don't have the patience to deal with naughty behaviour, then don't teach.
    Agreed

Leave a comment:

• bint begum
    replied

:salams

Beating is definitely not the way. Children should be eager and want to learn the Quran, they shouldn't learn because of fear.

If the children misbehave (which all children do) then make them sit in the corner, speak to their parents etc but don't put your hands on them.

If you feel like you don't have the patience to deal with naughty behaviour, then don't teach.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X