Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

    How do we teach children the Quran with beatings or without?

    and do you have any suggestion howto alter the current madrassa/ after school quran school that we have in the west in order to produce western raised Qurraa of a high calibre

  • #2
    Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

    we are not allowed to hit children in islam ( unless they refuse to pray their fard prayers and are over ten) certainly not beating them to make them recite quran this is just some cultural junk and its really needs abolishing, children shuld be treated with love and kindness or they could grow up hating muslims, islam, and hating reciting Quran because all they associate with it is pain.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

    The Prophet :saw: said:

    "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

    muslim

    Narrated 'Abdullah:

    The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


    "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

    By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

    [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

      Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
      we are not allowed to hit children in islam ( unless they refuse to pray their fard prayers and are over ten) certainly not beating them to make them recite quran this is just some cultural junk and its really needs abolishing, children shuld be treated with love and kindness or they could grow up hating muslims, islam, and hating reciting Quran because all they associate with it is pain.
      how do you suggest we discpline them just to give you a example how do you get a 6 year old to sit down and memorise 200 pages in a year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

        Asalaamu 'alaykum

        I think the idea of reward works better than punishment. When I was at primary school there was a paper with everyones name on it and whoever behaved well got a gold star sticker by their name. Anyone who behaved badly would get a red star. It worked well cos everyone could see who has what and every child wanted to stand out as the best.

        You even add that whoever has the most gold stars by the end of the year gets a prize, and whoever gets more than 3 red stars gets detention.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

          Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
          Asalaamu 'alaykum

          I think the idea of reward works better than punishment. When I was at primary school there was a paper with everyones name on it and whoever behaved well got a gold star sticker by their name. Anyone who behaved badly would get a red star. It worked well cos everyone could see who has what and every child wanted to stand out as the best.

          You even add that whoever has the most gold stars by the end of the year gets a prize, and whoever gets more than 3 red stars gets detention.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

            First of all, why is it necessary for a 6 year old to memorize 200 pages a year?

            I don't agree with the idea of rewards or punishments especially when it comes to Quran. When you reward or punish a child for doing something, that removes their internal motivation to achieve it, and moves the motivation into trying to receive a reward for said behavior or avoid a punishment. When memorizing Quran children should be motivated by seeking reward from Allah. They first need to learn the love of Allah and understand what they are doing is for His sake. Practically speaking they will learn from example and by having it a part of their daily routine. If everyday there is a set time where they attend Quran class with their peers or the whole family memorizes at the same time, they will naturally follow along.

            Think about it, if we are teaching them to seek reward from others by doing religious acts, isn't that kind of like teaching them minor shirk?
            Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

              Oh, you may have already tried this, but teaching them about the reward for people who memorise the Qur'an (in a way that they would understand) would polly be better. And when they misbehave you can ask them something like, 'don't you want your mummy and daddy to be crowned by Allah swt?' or 'don't you want to go to the highest jannah were you can have as many of the best sweets as you like?' y'know, that kinda thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                :salams

                Beating is definitely not the way. Children should be eager and want to learn the Quran, they shouldn't learn because of fear.

                If the children misbehave (which all children do) then make them sit in the corner, speak to their parents etc but don't put your hands on them.

                If you feel like you don't have the patience to deal with naughty behaviour, then don't teach.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                  Originally posted by inprogress View Post
                  First of all, why is it necessary for a 6 year old to memorize 200 pages a year ?
                  Family tradition start at 6 finish at 9 and get your certificate from daddy

                  Originally posted by bint begum View Post
                  :salams

                  Beating is definitely not the way. Children should be eager and want to learn the Quran, they shouldn't learn because of fear.

                  If the children misbehave (which all children do) then make them sit in the corner, speak to their parents etc but don't put your hands on them.

                  If you feel like you don't have the patience to deal with naughty behaviour, then don't teach.
                  Agreed

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

                    The Prophet :saw: said:

                    "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

                    muslim

                    Narrated 'Abdullah:

                    The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


                    "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

                    By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

                    [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                      agreed that beatings are wrong but how do we teach and instil values , in the madrasa where i teach on weekends you cant even get kids to listen to you. and hence as a teacher you get the feeling that your breath is beng wasted on kids that dont want to be there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                        inprogress, you're right. but it's easy for children to get distracted and misbehave so i think there's no harm in giving them some sort of reward for good behaviour. they're children after all, it's almost impossible to control them if their's no sort of system. plus the reward is for their behaviour, not their memorisation. atleast, that's how i see it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                          Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
                          agreed that beatings are wrong but how do we teach and instil values , in the madrasa where i teach on weekends you cant even get kids to listen to you. and hence as a teacher you get the feeling that your breath is beng wasted on kids that dont want to be there.
                          i used to teach little kids age from 3-12 be nice to them, get to know them, engage them, listen to them, be kind to them, and they will love coming to ur classes and doing their work insha Allah. kindness always goes a long way.
                          "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

                          The Prophet :saw: said:

                          "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

                          muslim

                          Narrated 'Abdullah:

                          The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


                          "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

                          By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

                          [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                            I don't know why anyone would think hitting a child is okay, never mind when trying to teach them Qur'an and the love of Allah through this. Where did Rasulullah :saw: say its okay to hit children? Did he not say to look after children and be patient with them?
                            Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
                            O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
                            We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Do we need to change how teach the Quran ? Beatings or not =

                              Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
                              I don't know why anyone would think hitting a child is okay, never mind when trying to teach them Qur'an and the love of Allah through this. Where did Rasulullah :saw: say its okay to hit children? Did he not say to look after children and be patient with them?
                              The only time it's permissible to smack children is if they've reached the age of 10 and refuse to pray. Light smacks btw, not beatings which leave marks on the body etc.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X