Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

haram to pay for group meal that has alcohol and pork in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haram to pay for group meal that has alcohol and pork in it?

Salams,

The question in the title isn't very clear. What I'm asking is, is it haram to pay for a meal (where every person present pays the same amount) when the group has also bought alcohol and dishes with pork? I am of course NOT drinking the alcohol and those dishes that contain pork, but other people are. The people I'm with are non-Muslims. I'm a part of some clubs/organizations where it is expected that after our meetings/activities are over, we sometimes go and eat together. It is expected that we attend these after-activities gatherings...at least some of the time.

To be more specific, I live in South Korea and am a part of a few university clubs (or dongari/동아리)...and social customs and expectations are regarded very highly here. Since South Korea is still a relatively homogenous society, they are used to people following the group-mentality, or in this case, even if I didn't eat everything (like the pork or alcohol), I am still expected to pay the same amount that everyone else pays (unless the person in charge at that time happens to be more open-minded and understanding of other cultures and people).

I know that it is haram to purchase alcohol....but in this context..is it still considered that I payed for alcohol? I try to ask if I can pay less than everyone else ( unless I get this 1 particular sort of vice-president who seems quite strict about the whole everyone-pays-the-same-amount type of deal...and I have tried reasoning with her...but she can be quite adamant about it...unfortunately, she is usually the one in charge of money at these gatherings)... in this case, where I pay less than everyone else, would it be considered that I payed for alcohol?
    The things we buy are dishes that are shared among several people, so there's nothing that I really just ordered and bought for myself.

So, 2 questions
    1) If I pay the same amount as everyone else...is it considered like I payed for alcohol?
    2) If I pay less than everyone else...is it considered like I payed for alcohol?

It would be great to hear what other Muslims think, thank you! :)

Wsalams,
    your sister in Islam

Re: haram to pay for group meal that has alcohol and pork in it?

it would be haram to sit in a gathering in which alcohol was consumed?

it would be best to avoid these gatherings.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

A general principle is that you cannot help others in matters which are haram, only in halal issues but it is quite possible this question has not come up before as there is a specific narration saying it is haram and prohibited to sit with people drinking alcohol so you shouldn't put yourself in such a situation in the first place.

Comment

^ How about eating at a restaurant that serves alcohol like olive garden, Boston pizza is it haram?
        Fall down 7 times, stand up 8 :up: :boom: :bang:

Comment

Originally posted by FatimaE View Post
          ^ How about eating at a restaurant that serves alcohol like olive garden, Boston pizza is it haram?
          i think they mean not at your table. you will be buying someone alcohol, so i guess it would be wrong. a friend once invited me to a gathering and he invited some hindus aswell which ruined the gathering cause they wanted all of us to have vegeterian stuff only. but i made sure my friend didnt allow that, well he was gonna but then i told him to take control of his gathering

they ordered their own thing and we all had meat etc

Comment

Originally posted by FatimaE View Post
            it would be better to avoid it if possible, but it definitely wouldnt be permitted if those you are eating with are drinking, even passing the bottle or glass of alcohol to another person is haram.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
            (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
              it would be better to avoid it if possible, but it definitely wouldnt be permitted if those you are eating with are drinking, even passing the bottle or glass of alcohol to another person is haram.
              I agree, these things Can be advoided
              And He found you lost and guided you,
              ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
              " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
              ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
                it would be haram to sit in a gathering in which alcohol was consumed?

it would be best to avoid these gatherings.
                this is one of the reasons i had to leave corporate america, it is fraught with such situations, over and over and over again, plus other "requirements" that are constantly calling for a muslim to compromise his deen or positions within his deen

its better to be a poor taxi driver (except you cant take people to bars), than to be a corporate exec
                .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                  this is one of the reasons i had to leave corporate america, it is fraught with such situations, over and over and over again, plus other "requirements" that are constantly calling for a muslim to compromise his deen or positions within his deen

its better to be a poor taxi driver (except you cant take people to bars), than to be a corporate exec
                  yupp Indeed its hard to advoid it though as they are hell bent on making 'halal' alternatives for us such as halal bacon, halal whiskey

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

You already know the answer to this dude, hence why you're asking it.

Do what your heart tells you, you'll find yourself doubting and voila, theres your answer:)
                    There is rest only in the aakhira.
                    Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
                    and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
                    then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
                    That's right, a nude dog.
                    The Deepweb is disgusting.
                    - Unknown -

Links
                    The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
                    Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

Originally posted by -Jibril- View Post

Do what your heart tells you, you'll find yourself doubting and voila, theres your answer:)
                      So if we in doyubt we shouldnt do it ?

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by -Jibril- View Post

if you have doubt about your wudu, what should you do?
                        دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

if you have doubt about your wudu, what should you do?
                          I was told once that you should just carry on but never really made sense to me :scratch:

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Adam_ View Post
                            I was told once that you should just carry on but never really made sense to me :scratch:
                            that is correct, so here is a case where you have doubt, yet you continue on as if you have wudu

why have a problem with it? Allah is merciful, if you are not SURE you broke your wudu, why default in the negative?
                            دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

that is correct, so here is a case where you have doubt, yet you continue on as if you have wudu

why have a problem with it? Allah is merciful, if you are not SURE you broke your wudu, why default in the negative?
                              I dont have a problem - I was unsure I was never given proof

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X