Nuns told to take birth-control pills to cut cancer risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuns told to take birth-control pills to cut cancer risk

LONDON: Regardless of their celibacy vows,nuns should take contraceptive pills to cut cancer threat, researchers in Australia have suggested.Like any other women who don't have children, nuns are at an increased risk of dying from certain forms of the disease . But the contraceptive pill can cut the likelihood of developing breast, ovarian and womb cancer, the Daily Mail reported.This is because women who never give birth or breastfeed have more periods than those who do, and an increased number of menstrual cycles has been linked to higher cancer risk.Since the contraceptive pill reduces overall mortality and mortality due to ovarian and uterine cancer, Catholic nuns should also be given the pill for health, rather than contraceptive, reasons, the researchers said.For this reason, researchers say nuns should take the pill. Kara Britt of Monash University, Melbourne, and Roger Short of Melbourne University, argue that nuns are at increased risk of cancer through their celibate lifestyle and deserve protection.They claim the Roman Catholic Church's own teaching does not prevent the pill being used for health reasons.The pill is believed to offer protection because women taking it do not produce eggs.
    The process of egg release triggers cell damage and repair that raises the risk of tumour development. Similarly, women who have children cease to produce eggs during pregnancy and often during breastfeeding.
    Studies show overall death rates are 12% lower in women who have used or are using the pill, compared to those who never took it. Risk of developing ovarian and womb cancers falls by 50 to 60% in users, with the benefits lasting over two decades.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/11054340.cms
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: Nuns told to take birth-control pills.

camouflage by the Catholic Church .

I

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
      camouflage by the Catholic Church .
      i know nuns, and I honestly do not believe they would break celibacy..they are much different than the priests.
      Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
      Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
        i know nuns, and I honestly do not believe they would break celibacy..they are much different than the priests.
        I am sure many go into it for genuine reasons, but there have been quite a number of pregnant nun scandles down through the years, usually involving the priests who are meant to offer them confession but ending up offering something else.

Comment

"LONDON: Regardless of their celibacy vows,nuns should take contraceptive pills to cut cancer threat, researchers in Australia have suggested."

Comment

doesnt the pill increase risk of other kinds of cancer though and has lots of side effects???
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Re: Nuns told to take birth-control pills to cut cancer risk

Any other source for this other than the Daily Fail ? The pill itself is has many side effects anyway, so it's a bit of a lose lose situtation. I plan not to have children insha'Allah, but I'm not so keen on taking the pill.

How about a Oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) ? Though that would be haraam for us, so not an option. But surely that would be a better option for nuns than having to take the pill?

Comment

This is a BIG CON!!! I have no doubt in my mind that there is a massive push by big pharma to dump more and more unnecessary medications on society "for our own good". As others have said, the pill is already known to have many side effects, cause hormonal imbalances, weight gain (which increases cancer risks as well) and so on. First of all the risk of cervical cancer ONLY applies to those who are sexually active (ie those who are not virgins) which is why many cancer studies have been performed using nuns as a control group and found that they are not at risk of developing this cancer (except in cases where the nun wasn't a virgin before she took her vow of celibacy- then such a woman would still be at risk).

There's also a problem in the US of girls hitting puberty at younger and younger ages. I heard a statistic that it is becoming increasingly common for American girls to hit puberty at age 7, partly because of the obesity problem, that the increased weight causes the body to get the wrong signal that it has grown up and is ready for childbearing and partly because hormones are added to animal feed to make them grow faster (so that it's cheaper to produce their meat) and those hormones end up in the meat and in the dairy products which end up in people's bodies making them fatter and develop hormone related problems. There's also a drive to give contraceptive pills to young girls to help prevent them from starting their periods too quickly but no one is talking about stopping the practice of adding unnecessary and unhealthy hormones to animal feed and those animals (and their milk) ending up being consumed by people.... and don't assume that 'halal' foods are exempted from this problem either.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

When Women hit puberty between 7 and 9 , is it not possible that they are mentally fit for marriage at 11 , but ofcourse with their full consent without any Parental pressure ?

I

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
                    When Women hit puberty between 7 and 9 , is it not possible that they are mentally fit for marriage at 11 , but ofcourse with their full consent without any Parental pressure ?
                    possible yes, likely in the western style of living where we retard our youth? extremely unlikely in that case.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X