The Islamic Definition of Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Islamic Definition of Women

Ok, here is the first in an attempt to understand how ISLAM has defined women and the role of women. Hopefully, it will enlighten even old-heads like myself.
    Al
    ayats and hadiths only with some explanation, if needed

Firstly, Allah says that He created Men and Women from Adam and Eve (Hawa), So men and women have been created to compliment each other.

Allah says that out of His mercy, He has given women to men as companions to dwell in love with each other. So we are to be nice, compassionate, desirous of each other.

Allah says from them, come many children. (it should not have to be said, but we are laying a foundation) but men and women are supposed to have children. the prophet has exhorted the muslims to have MANY children.

Allah says we are to marry and not fornicate, hence the desire for men and women are a committed relationship, called marriage, not living together or dating or the likes.

Allah has forbidden men from laying with men and women from laying with women. Homosexuality is forbidden.

We are to work together to save each other from the fire. Men and Women are to work in tandem to help each other to righteous deeds.
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Re: The Islamic Definition of Women

Men are to maintain and protect women (though we will get more into that under the "Islamic definition of men" thread) inshaa Allah

but joining that command is that women are commanded to be devoutly obedient to their husbands. A disobedient wife is cursed by Allah and the angels and everything wet and dry in creation.

women are to be mothers to their children, however, (someone correct me if i am wrong) she is NOT required to take care of her own children or her husband's children (practicality means she most likely will, however, lets lay out the rules first). The only command a woman is REQUIRED is to come to her husband's bed when he calls.

We can add to that the verse where Allah says and the prophet said a woman must obey her husband in anything he commands of her......but lets lay out the groundwork first.

There is a hadith i can remember, if a husband commands his wife to get a black rock from a black mountain and take it to a white mountain and get a white rock from a white mountain and take it to a black mountain, she must do this

there is the hadith of the woman who did not leave her husbands home, even when her father was sick and after he died, and when her brother complained, the prophet said her obedience to her husband got her a house in jannah
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

My first question,

Women were created as a companion for men? So this is why we were created?

Secondly, Allah in his wisdom knows our needs and nature, and has given us rights that compliment this. Should we be encouraged to give up our rights in order to let men do other good deeds? Are we selfish if we dont?

Are the rewards for a man more for helping others, or doing his fardh duties to family? Including wife and kids who are reliant on him?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
      (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
        My first question,

Women were created as a companion for men? So this is why we were created?

Secondly, Allah in his wisdom knows our needs and nature, and has given us rights that compliment this. Should we be encouraged to give up our rights in order to let men do other good deeds? Are we selfish if we dont?

Are the rewards for a man more for helping others, or doing his fardh duties to family? Including wife and kids who are reliant on him?
        women were created to be mates to man, in this world and the next

i dont know where you get giving up rights, but as a general principle, whenever you give up any rights (man or woman) for someone else, that is a good deed that gets much reward
        دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

From the hadith where the woman and kids were hungry,

Comment

Did the hadith of the woman who didn't leave the house, was the man sinful, as it is an opinion that the man is sinful if he doesn't let the woman. Visit parents once a week or in sickness.

Comment

Did the hadith of the woman who didn't leave the house, was the man sinful, as it is an opinion that the man is sinful if he doesn't let the woman. Visit parents once a week or in sickness.
              i dont know naila, i am giving you a hadith where the prophet commended the woman for NOT leaving the house, even though her father was ill, and he later died, because she obeyed her husband

do you have something to say that a woman can disobey her husband to see her parents?
              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

From the hadith where the woman and kids were hungry,
                naila, Allah has commanded that men maintain their family, that includes his wife and children, the best charity is that you spend on your family

why are you making this into one of those "if your mother and daughter were drowning, who would you rescue first?" type of scenarios
                دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

because i am confused and afraid, i thought i understood, but the more i learn the less i understand, because Islam is a religion of common sense and i cant make senase of it. i cant see the sense in letting your children cry, so you wait until your parents wake and feed them first, and i am trying to find it. i cant see the sense in it being ok that you dont let your wife visit sick relatives.

Comment

because i am confused and afraid, i thought i understood, but the more i learn the less i understand, because Islam is a religion of common sense and i cant make senase of it. i cant see the sense in letting your children cry, so you wait until your parents wake and feed them first, and i am trying to find it. i cant see the sense in it being ok that you dont let your wife visit sick relatives.
                    are you even aware of the hadith in question?
                    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

My first question, Women were created as a companion for men? So this is why we were created?

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                      women were created to be mates to man, in this world and the next
                      وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ

I created jinn and mankind only to worship Me (Adh-Dhariyat: 56)

Allah created us all, men and women, so we would worship Him. He then prescribed other, subsidiary roles, such as women being companions for men etc. Just clarifying in case any non-Muslims (and/or Muslims!) are confused by the above comments.
                      And Allah knows best.
                      ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

The sunnah of RasoolAllah :saw: was to fulfil the rights of each party without wronging any other. So e.g. he :saw: would fulfil the rights of his wives without neglecting his companions and vice versa.

Re: feeling confused, remember sis we're not necessarily meant to act on every hadith we read. The purpose is more to take away the lesson and act on it to the best of our ability. For example Abu Bakr (ra) would give all of his wealth in sadaqah and RasoolAllah :saw: would accept it, yet when other companions would do the same he :saw: would reject it (i.e. their giving away all of their wealth). This was because Rasool Allah :saw: knew that Abu Bakr (ra) had the ability to do this action and remain steadfast, while others might give away all their wealth in a moment of high emotion and then not be able to tolerate its consequences afterwards.

So when you read the hadith about the man waiting to feed his parents for example, it does not mean you have to let your kids go hungry and feed your parents. Rather the lesson from that hadith is highlighting the good treatment of parents, so inshaAllah treat your parents well to the best of your ability and do the same for your kids and you are reaping the benefits of that narration :up:.
                        Hope that clears up some of your confusion inshaAllah :).
                        ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X