US firm fires 26 Muslim drivers over prayer breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US firm fires 26 Muslim drivers over prayer breaks

SEATTLE: More than two dozen Somali Muslim drivers for Hertz at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport are being fired after refusing to clock out for daily breaks during which they normally pray, according to media reports.

The 26 workers drive the company's rental cars to and from the airport for cleaning and refueling. They are among 34 Hertz employees suspended on September 30 for failing to clock out before breaks. Eight of the 34 signed the clock-out agreement and have returned to their jobs, company spokesman Rich Broome said.

Termination letters have been sent to the rest. The firm made it clear the suspended workers needed to agree to the clock-out conditions by the end of the day if they wanted to be reinstated, Broome told the Seattle Times.

The firings were first reported by KOMO-TV . Broome said, "It's not about prayer, it's not about religion; it's about reasonable requirements."

Observant Muslims pray several times a day. Hertz said the suspended workers were violating provisions of a collective bargaining agreement and a settlement with the equal employment opportunity commission reached two years ago. Teamsters Local 117, which represents workers, said the two sides were unable to reach an agreement that would have allowed the workers back to return to their pre-suspension status.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/10459611.cms
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: US firm fires 26 Muslim drivers over prayer breaks

The company is not removing them because they want to take prayer breaks, but because they refuse to clock out. The workers should find another job that fits their life style as these conditions were stated to them as part of the employment.
    Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Originally posted by Vishnu View Post
      The company is not removing them because they want to take prayer breaks, but because they refuse to clock out. The workers should find another job that fits their life style as these conditions were stated to them as part of the employment.
      Well, Vishnu you seem to have a good grasp on the situation. What line of work would you suggest for them?
      Back... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DAAR84 View Post
        Well, Vishnu you seem to have a good grasp on the situation. What line of work would you suggest for them?
        Well, they could continue work in this job itself if they agree to clock out for prayer. Eight of them have signed the clock out agreement and are now back in their jobs as well as continuing with their daily prayers. So I don't see a problem why the others should have a problem with it.

My understanding of the situation is as per what is stated in that report.
        Last edited by Vishnu; 23-10-11, 09:35 AM.
        Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

salaam

i agree with vishnu

they were not fired because they prayed. they were fired because they refused to clock out during those periods.

now the question is what do the non-muslims do?

if they do not clock out like they should, then the Muslims have grounds for unfair dismissal and religious prejudice
          Oh Allah, please make my best day the Day I meet You to answer for my sins, and please have mercy on the believers on the Day our deeds will be judged

Comment

I don't understand why they are refusing to clock out. Why do they expect to be paid for praying? It is unreasonable.
            Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

Yeah I don't see whats wrong with clocking out. It is a way for an employer to keep track of people if they're taking too long or not. Some employees abuse the system and take longer breaks so maybe this could have been the case.

Comment

Interesting article.

I would feel fine with clocking our for prayer but I find it good that they want to be paid as if it is part of a normal life. Personally, I really don't think it's un reasonable to clock out.
                Fear Allah.

Comment

if joe goes out on a cigarette break, and he does not have to clock out
                  or if jane goes into the bathroom, and she does not have to clock out

why does muhammad and fatima have to clock out to pray?

are jane and joe asking to be paid for going to the bathroom or smoking?

do you guys clock out when you go to the bathroom?

i dont know if any of you have ever worked in management, but NO ONE abuses time like management

lunches, or late to work, or leaving early

people get paid for non-work all of the time, why penalize people for praying?
                  .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                  نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                  دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post

i dont know if any of you have ever worked in management, but NO ONE abuses time like management

And chitchatting and personal calls and hitting up the vending machine and...

However, these guys must get breaks. We don't have to pray exactly on the adhan except at Maghreb (well, close anyway) so there should be no reason not to pray on their breaks.

I suppose management is thinking, muhammad and fatima are wasting all the time the others are wasting AND they want 10 minutes 2-3 times a day to pray (depending on their shift and the time of year, of course). It's not as though every Muslim is a star employee who never takes bathroom breaks on company time.

IDK, perhaps they're making too much of something, but as a Muslim in the workforce, I fit my faith in around my job where I can without contravening the tenants of the faith, and my fit my job around my faith where it would otherwise compromise my deen. So if they don't like my clothes -too bad. And if it's Eid, I'm not working. But if Asr is at 3 and I take my break at 3:30, I pray at 3:30. Because Islam gives us that leeway.

While I won't let anyone steamroll over my commitment to Islam, I also don't want to be one those "victim" types that takes everything as something against me or my religion.

IMO, these guys should just pray on their breaks, no extra clocking necessary.
                    "Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2

Comment

If that's true, then there's a legal case to be had here.
                      'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

People who have to clock out are hourly employee. Managments are not paid by hours, hence their waste of time is not accounted for.

Many jobs such as retial or factories require employee to clock out for anything more than break, such as lunch or 15 min break they are required to take every 4hrs. When people take 2 hr lunch break to attend jummah, they usually stay 2 hours extra to make for the lost time.

Comment

these guys are drivers, thus, they get paid to drive, so unless they are affecting the driving aspect of their job, this is a non-issue
                          دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

and even hourly employees can take breaks, whether for cigarette or going to the bathroom, but not prayer?
                            دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

exactly i remeber when i worked at the gas station ppl could go out for half hour smoke breaks no problem but omer had to fight every day to make asr and magrib.

then surprise surprise later on i find out that the boss hates islam with a passion.

they claim its because of a timecard issue, but the reality is much deeper.
                              painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X