Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

:salams
    Female circumcision today has been made synonymous with female genital mutilation. This has added to much confusion as well as has raised legitimate as well as ill-motivated concerns regarding the position of either act under Islamic Law. As such, and preamble to the discussion submitted in the Paper below, it must be publicly and categorically stated that female genital mutilation is prohibited under Islamic Law.

Types of Female Genital Cutting (WHO: World Health Organization):

Female genital cutting is “term used to refer to any practice which includes the removal or the alteration of the female genitalia.”[5] These are basic types of FGC[6]:

Type I: This is the mildest form of FGC, which includes removing or splitting the prepuce (foreskin or ‘hood’) which covers the clitoris of females, thus exposing the glans. This may be couple with partial or total excision of the clitoris. This is known as clitoridotomy (slang: hoodectomy). According to the United Nations Population Fund, this form is comparable to male circumcision.[7] This is sometimes also called “sunna circumcision” due to the fact that it is this type which is performed commonly by those Muslims who believe it to be legislated in Islam.

Type II: In this type, known as clitoridectomy, the clitoris and labia minora is partially or totally removed.

Type III: This is one of the most extreme forms of FGC, involving the total excision of the clitoris, both the labia minora and majora, and the joining of the two sides of the vulva across the vagina, sewn with thread or secured with other items, until it heals joining together. Only a small, pencil-size hole is left to allow passage of menstrual blood and urine. This is known as infibulation or Pharaonic Circumcision, in reference to its origins.

Type IV: This type is inclusive of all other forms of genital cutting, such as: pricking, piercing or incision of the clitoris and/or labia; stretching of the clitoris and/or labia; cauterization by burning of the clitoris and surrounding tissue; introcision, scraping (angurya cuts) or cutting (gishri cuts) of the vagina or surrounding tissue; and introduction of corrosive substances or herbs into the vagina.

continue reading:
    http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/438/
    http://www.jannah.org/genderequity/equityappendix.html
    http://seekersguidance.org/blog/2012...al-mutilation/
    Last edited by Be Muslims; 07-03-13, 12:42 PM.
    Muslims Search Engine !
    And those who disbelieved will then say, " Our Lord, show us those who misled us of the jinn and mankind ,so we may put them under our feet that they will be among the lowest."

Comment

Man! All this sounds painful and mostly wrong.
      Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima London View Post
        This is a cultural practice prevalent in parts of the middle east (Egypt etc) and African nations.

My questions is what are your experiences of it, your views on it and does it have any place at all in Islam.

For anyone who is not based in teh UK, FGM has been making headlines the last few years due to families taking their daughters 'back home' and carrying out this mutilation on them. Parents in teh UK can be prosecuted if they are found to have done this, not that this has been revoked.

Is this an outdated procedure that the muslim community must take a stand against. I can only imagine the physcial pain that the young girl/woman must endure.

FGM is evil and it should be stopped as soon as possible, almost every girl born in east/horn of Africa has gone through this evil practise. It's the most painful thing ever and don't get me started on the painful complications that women have to suffer for the rest of their life.

I can't stand people that hide behind Islam and justify this with religious reasons there are absolutely no benefits that one can find in this pagan Egyptian ritual. Many people claim that there is a 'sunnah version' where 'only a little bit' is removed but do you really think people would actually only remove a tiny bit? 9 out 10 times the whole clitoris is removed or the clitoris is damaged which means a girl will never be able to enjoy sex. I have talked to people about this and everytime they say a woman should be circumcised in the sunnah way, when I ask them what part should be removed they go quiet because they know damn well what part they mean. If women were not meant to enjoy sex why would they be created with these organs? The ONLY and ONE reason why women are circumcised is to decrease their sexual desire and to make sure they do not sleep around, there is no other purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Be Muslims View Post
          Female circumcision today has been made synonymous with female genital mutilation. This has added to much confusion as well as has raised legitimate as well as ill-motivated concerns regarding the position of either act under Islamic Law. As such, and preamble to the discussion submitted in the Paper below, it must be publicly and categorically stated that female genital mutilation is prohibited under Islamic Law.

Female genital cutting is “term used to refer to any practice which includes the removal or the alteration of the female genitalia.”[5] These are basic types of FGC[6]:

Type I: This is the mildest form of FGC, which includes removing or splitting the prepuce (foreskin or ‘hood’) which covers the clitoris of females, thus exposing the glans. This may be couple with partial or total excision of the clitoris. This is known as clitoridotomy (slang: hoodectomy). According to the United Nations Population Fund, this form is comparable to male circumcision.[7] This is sometimes also called “sunna circumcision” due to the fact that it is this type which is performed commonly by those Muslims who believe it to be legislated in Islam.

Type II: In this type, known as clitoridectomy, the clitoris and labia minora is partially or totally removed.

Type III: This is one of the most extreme forms of FGC, involving the total excision of the clitoris, both the labia minora and majora, and the joining of the two sides of the vulva across the vagina, sewn with thread or secured with other items, until it heals joining together. Only a small, pencil-size hole is left to allow passage of menstrual blood and urine. This is known as infibulation or Pharaonic Circumcision, in reference to its origins.

Type IV: This type is inclusive of all other forms of genital cutting, such as: pricking, piercing or incision of the clitoris and/or labia; stretching of the clitoris and/or labia; cauterization by burning of the clitoris and surrounding tissue; introcision, scraping (angurya cuts) or cutting (gishri cuts) of the vagina or surrounding tissue; and introduction of corrosive substances or herbs into the vagina.

continue reading:

That sounds soooo painful, I can't believe people do that, its barbaric.
          I remember watching a documentary where an African woman from a tribe (not muslim) said that FGM must be carried out otherwise the vagina will rise to the head of the female and split her body in half.....
          I wanted to tell her, my head and body are still in one piece, living proof here, so stop this painful torture.
          Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
          :lailah::ahb:

Comment

Originally posted by purple89 View Post
            This is very common where I come from and sadly it's women that push for it more so than men. It has no place in Islam.

But female circumcision is in Islam, so how can it have no place in Islam ?

Originally posted by Iqra00 View Post
            FGM is evil and it should be stopped as soon as possible, almost every girl born in east/horn of Africa has gone through this evil practise. It's the most painful thing ever and don't get me started on the painful complications that women have to suffer for the rest of their life.

I can't stand people that hide behind Islam and justify this with religious reasons there are absolutely no benefits that one can find in this pagan Egyptian ritual. Many people claim that there is a 'sunnah version' where 'only a little bit' is removed but do you really think people would actually only remove a tiny bit? 9 out 10 times the whole clitoris is removed or the clitoris is damaged which means a girl will never be able to enjoy sex. I have talked to people about this and everytime they say a woman should be circumcised in the sunnah way, when I ask them what part should be removed they go quiet because they know damn well what part they mean. If women were not meant to enjoy sex why would they be created with these organs? The ONLY and ONE reason why women are circumcised is to decrease their sexual desire and to make sure they do not sleep around, there is no other purpose.

"Circumcision of the female consists of the removal of a part of the clitoris, which is situated above the opening of the urethra. The Sunnah is not to remove all of it, but only a part." (al-Mawsu‘ah al-Fiqhiyyah 19/28).

Comment

There should be mutual pleasure I agree, but going to this limit to stop women from sleeping around is ridiculous, throwing out all the milk just so that the cat doesn't drink it.
              You know you're growing old when the candles cost more than the cake

Comment

Once again, another practice formed to control womens behaviour and to protect a mans/family honour
                just as muta marriages (diff threads) are formed to give a man priviledgees whilst seemingly protecting the honour of a woman by leading her to believe that she is in a halal relationship.

I'm getting sick and tired of the way that our beautiful religion is hijaced by stupid men who only desire control and power. .........

Ibnul Qayyim رحمه الله said: "Donít ruin your happiness with worry, and donít ruin your mind with pessimism. Donít ruin your success with deception and donít ruin the optimism of others by destroying it. Donít ruin your day by looking back at yesterday.
                __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                If you think about your situation, you will find that Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) has given you things without asking, so have trust in Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) that He doesnít prevent anything you want except there is goodness for you.

You could be sleeping and the doors of the heavens are being opened with duaías being made on your behalf, SubhanAllaah: perhaps from someone poor whom you helped, or someone sad whom you brought joy, or someone passing by and you smiled at him, or someone in distress and you removed it.. so donít ever underestimate any good deeds."

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

Originally posted by DarkChocolate View Post
                  That sounds soooo painful, I can't believe people do that, its barbaric.
                  I remember watching a documentary where an African woman from a tribe (not muslim) said that FGM must be carried out otherwise the vagina will rise to the head of the female and split her body in half.....
                  I wanted to tell her, my head and body are still in one piece, living proof here, so stop this painful torture.

Comment

because it quite often is. BTW, i don't know anything about circumcision and have no personal experience of i but living in the UK has exposed me to the anti fgm campagin which is being run

Originally posted by Ashfaaq View Post
                    Why do I get the impression that all of this is carried out without any anesthetic in a small dingy room, strapped to a steel table with incessant cries of pain?
                    Ibnul Qayyim رحمه الله said: "Donít ruin your happiness with worry, and donít ruin your mind with pessimism. Donít ruin your success with deception and donít ruin the optimism of others by destroying it. Donít ruin your day by looking back at yesterday.
                    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                    If you think about your situation, you will find that Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) has given you things without asking, so have trust in Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) that He doesnít prevent anything you want except there is goodness for you.

You could be sleeping and the doors of the heavens are being opened with duaías being made on your behalf, SubhanAllaah: perhaps from someone poor whom you helped, or someone sad whom you brought joy, or someone passing by and you smiled at him, or someone in distress and you removed it.. so donít ever underestimate any good deeds."

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

Originally posted by Be Muslims View Post

continue reading:
                      The only reason why some argue female circumcision is allowed is based on the hadiths and one famous hadith in which the prophet muhammad (pbuh) told a woman who circumcised girls not to cut too deep and apprently it's a weak hadith, as shown on your link.

Here is an important Hadīth that needs some explanatory comments, and which will also be referred to later in the Paper in some detail:
                      A woman who was known as Umm ‘Attiyah was known in Madinah to perform female circumcision [probably even from before the advent of Islam] and the Messenger of God, upon whom be peace and blessings of God The Exalted, said to her, “Umm ‘Attiyah, when you do circumcise, restrict yourself to cut a minute part and do not excise the glans. That will be far more pleasant for the wife and satisfying for the husband.”[10]

Commonly in popular articles, this Hadīth is claimed to be a sole reporting in the Abu Dawud collection and, as such, claimed to be weak and unreliable. For example, the following comment is not uncommon:
                      “This is known to be a “weak” hadith in that it does not meet the strict criteria to be considered unquestionable (classified as mursal, i.e. missing a link in the chain of transmitters in that none was among the original Companions of the Prophet.) In addition, it is found in only one of the six undisputed, authentic hadith collections, that is in the Sunan of Abu Dawud…….”[11]

Comment

There is no way to know the extent to which this happens, as whoever does this does it in secret. Often the reports are sensational with little substance as this issue evokes strong emotions.

May be this is practiced in some cultures, but still is practiced by only a tiny minority
                        Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

When it comes to fgm it's just ignorant people clinging to their culture. Their is a proper way to do it, and then their's a barbaric way to do it.
                          "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Comment

calm down sisters

we all know FGM its an evil practice but don't drag the Sunnah to it

http://quran.cc/images/Quranlogo.png........http://i.imgur.com/b066ayL.png

ďMy sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out greater.Ē Imam Shafie

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima London View Post
                              because it quite often is. BTW, i don't know anything about circumcision and have no personal experience of i but living in the UK has exposed me to the anti fgm campagin which is being run
                              Then that is pure barbarism at it's ugly best. Do people actually do this to their own daughters???

Comment

Can you explain to me the difference between FGM and Female circumcision ?

Comment

Working...
                                X