Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Female genital mutilation,Haram---Female circumcision,Halal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

    hmm well when i became a muslim, my mother said was oh my god theyre going to curcumise you! and she nearly collapsed (shed read in a magazine about the mutillation still carried out by many african/north african tribes and cultures)

    so i went and studied this issue and i spoke to a scolar and a surgeon who carries out this operation in the west due to medical necessity (because that is what its for necessity) who told me that the curcumsision is not done as a matter of course for every girl, nor is it as some say "to reduce the desire of a woman" indeed he said it was the opposite, that there were/are some races, and tribes who have a suseptability to a birth defect whereby, basically if the removal of this particular defect part was not carried out ( and it is not the sensative parts of a woman but a fold of skin which grows over what allows a woman to have pleasure) then the woman would have no pleasure and that is her islamic right, It is nothing to do with the removal of what is usually thought of.

    so I was told that what we think of today as "circumcision" as was done in jahilyah times is not what was done when the prophet salallahu alleyhi wa salam said "take only a little" ( and sub narrators added so as to leave a sparkle in her eyes .. which shows that it is as the shaikh and the surgeon told me a nessecity) and indeed it would be an honour to be circumcised if u had a condition that meant u got no pleasure from "being married "

    even in the uk in victorian times they reconised that a woman who got no pleasure from "being married" ended up suffering from what they called "hysteria" and she used to go to the doctor to "get fixed" so this is actually medically reconised till today as an issue that can cause great harm to a woman.Allahu alam anyway thats how i have understood it
    Last edited by *asiya*; 24-11-06, 04:18 PM.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

    The Prophet :saw: said:

    "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

    muslim

    Narrated 'Abdullah:

    The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


    "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

    By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

    [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

    Comment


    • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

      Originally posted by `asiya View Post
      hmm well when i became a muslim, my mother said was oh my god theyre going to curcumise you! and she nearly collapsed (shed read in a magazine about the mutillation still carried out by many african/north african tribes and cultures)

      so i went and studied this issue and i spoke to a scolar and a surgeon who carries out this operation in the west due to medical necessity (because that is what its for necessity) who told me that the curcumsision is not done as a matter of course for every girl, nor is it as some say "to reduce the desire of a woman" indeed he said it was the opposite, that there were/are some races, and tribes who have a suseptability to a birth defect whereby, basically if the removal of this particular defect part was not carried out ( and it is not the sensative parts of a woman but a fold of skin which grows over what allows a woman to have pleasure) then the woman would have no pleasure and that is her islamic right, It is nothing to do with the removal of what is usually thought of.

      so I was told that what we think of today as "circumcision" as was done in jahilyah times is not what was done when the prophet salallahu alleyhi wa salam said "take only a little" ( and sub narrators added so as to leave a sparkle in her eyes .. which shows that it is as the shaikh and the surgeon told me a nessecity) and indeed it would be an honour to be circumcised if u had a condition that meant u got no pleasure from "being married "

      even in the uk in victorian times they reconised that a woman who got no pleasure from "being married" ended up suffering from what they called "hysteria" and she used to go to the doctor to "get fixed" so this is actually medically reconised till today as an issue that can cause great harm to a woman.Allahu alam anyway thats how i have understood it
      sister i dont want to be crude.... but if u want to discuss in detail... female circumcision does nothing to reduce the pleasure of a woman.... in fact it greatly increases a womans pleasure due to obvious reasons and makes it more satisfying for her and for her husband for obvious reasons again... however what it does do is prevent UNWANTED desire especially in the past due to certain habits of women etc... that is why female circumcision was seen as an honour because it was there to prevent unwanted desire not because it would limit pleasure at all....

      that is what is permitted in inslam and which the ulema have said is an honour or a sunnah or wajib depending on the ulema that you take from...

      what is haram and what is in agreement between all the ulema is to do it to such an extent that it removes pleasure for the woman... that is what is forbidden and must be stopped...

      but unfortunately some people cant understand the difference between circumcision and mutilation
      And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâlimûn


      There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

      The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

      Comment


      • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

        we could go on all day with this.... the end result.... the madhaib and all the traditional ulema believe it is permitted.... the revisionist 'ulema' believe its forbidden.... who anyone wants to follow is up to them but the truth is clear...

        Circumcision: how it is done and the rulings on it

        Question:
        Could you tell us what circumcision is and how and where it is done?.

        Answer:
        Praise be to Allaah.

        Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) wrote a useful book on the rulings concerning the newborn, which he called Tuhfat al-Mawdood fi Ahkaam al-Mawlood. In this book he wrote an extensive chapter in which he spoke of circumcision and the rulings thereon. The following is a summary of that, with additional comments from some other scholars.
        1 – The meaning of circumcision (khitaan):
        Ibn al-Qayyim said:
        Khitaan is a noun describing the action of the circumciser (khaatin). It is also used to describe the site of the circumcision, as in the hadeeth, “When the two circumcised parts (al-khitaanaan) meet, ghusl become obligatory.” In the case of a female the word used is khafad. In the male it is also called i’dhaar. The one who is uncircumcised is called aghlaf or aqlaf.
        Tuhfat al-Mawlood, 1/152
        2 – Circumcision is the Sunnah of Ibraaheem and the Prophets after him:
        Al-Bukhaari (6298) and Muslim (2370) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ibraaheem (peace be upon him) circumcised himself when he was eighty years old, and he circumcised himself with an adze.”
        An adze (qadoom) is a carpenter’s tool; it was also said that al-Qadoom is a place is Syria.
        Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:
        It is most likely that what is referred to in the hadeeth is the tool. Abu Ya’laa narrated that ‘Ali ibn Rabaah said: “Ibraaheem was commanded to circumcise himself, so he circumcised himself with an adze and it was very painful for him. Then Allaah revealed to him saying, “You rushed to do it before We told you what tool to use.” He said, “O Lord, I did not want to delay obeying Your command.”
        Ibn al-Qayyim said:
        Circumcision was one of the things with which Allaah tested Ibraaheem, His Close Friend. He did them perfectly so Allaah made him a leader of mankind. It was narrated that he was the first one who was circumcised, as mentioned above. What it says in al-Saheeh is that Ibraaheem circumcised himself when he was eighty years old. After him, circumcision continued among the Messengers and their followers, even the Messiah. He was circumcised and the Christians affirm that, and do not deny that, as they also affirm that he was forbidden the flesh of pigs…
        Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 158-159
        But the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differed as to the ruling on circumcision.
        Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
        The most correct view is that it is obligatory in the case of men and Sunnah in the case of women. The difference between them is that in the case of men, it serves an interest which has to do with one of the conditions of prayer, namely purity (tahaarah), because if the foreskin remains, when the urine comes out of the urethra, some of it will collect there, and this causes burning and infection every time the person moves, and every time the foreskin is squeezed, some drops of urine come out, thus causing najaasah (impurity).
        In the case of women, it serves a useful purpose which is to reduce desire. This is seeking perfection, not removing something harmful.
        Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 1/133-134
        This is the view of Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him). Ibn Quddamah said in al-Mughni (1/115): As for circumcision, it is obligatory for men and it is good in the case of woman, but it is not obligatory for them.
        3 – Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
        Abu’l-Barakaat said in his book al-Ghaayah: In circumcision of a man, the skin at the tip of the penis (the foreskin) is removed; if he only removes most of it, that is permissible. It is mustahabb to circumcise females provided that is not done in an extreme manner. It was narrated that ‘Umar said to a woman who circumcised females, “Leave some of it if you circumcise (a girl).” Al-Khallaal said in his Jaami’: What is cut when circumcising: Muhammad ibn al-Husayn told me that al-Fadl ibn Ziyaad told them: Ahmad was asked, How much should be cut in circumcision? He said, Until the glans (tip of the penis) becomes visible.
        Ibn al-Sabbaagh said in al-Shaamil: What is obligatory in the case of a man is to cut the skin on the tip of the penis until the entire glans becomes visible. In the case of a woman, it means cutting the skin that looks like the comb of a rooster at the top of the vagina, between the two labia; if it is cut the base of it should be left like a date pit.
        Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
        The well-known correct view is that everything covering the glans must be cut.
        Al-Majmoo’, 1/351
        Al-Juwayni said:
        The hadeeth indicates that not too much of it should be removed (in the case of women), because he said, “Leave something sticking out and do not go to extremes in cutting.”
        Tuhfat al-Mawdood, 190-192
        The point is that in the case of males, all the skin covering the tip of the penis should be cut, but in the case of females only a part of the skin that is like a rooster’s comb at the top of the vagina should be cut.
        4 – The wisdom behind circumcision
        With regard to a man, he cannot be clean from urine unless he is circumcised, because drops of urine collect underneath the foreskin and he cannot be sure that they will not drip and make his clothes and body impure. Hence ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas was very strict on the issue of circumcision. Imam Ahmad said: Ibn ‘Abbaas was very strict on this matter, and it was narrated that there is no Hajj and no prayer for him, i.e., if a person is not circumcised his Hajj and prayer are not valid. Al-Mughni, 1/115
        With regard to the wisdom behind the circumcision of women, it is to regulate their desire so it will be moderate.
        Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about whether women should be circumcised or not. He replied:
        Praise be to Allaah. Yes, they should be circumcised, i.e., the top of the piece of skin that looks like a rooster’s comb should be cut. The Messenger of Allaah (S) said to the woman who did circumcisions: “Leave something sticking out and do not go to extremes in cutting. That makes her face look brighter and is more pleasing to her husband.” That is because the purpose of circumcising a man is to make him clean from the impurity that may collect beneath the foreskin. But the purpose of circumcising women is to regulate their desire, because if a woman is not circumcised her desire will be strong. Hence the words “O son of an uncircumcised woman” are used as an insult, because the uncircumcised woman has stronger desire. Hence immoral actions are more common among the women of the Tatars and the Franks, that are not found among the Muslim women. If the circumcision is too severe, the desire is weakened altogether, which is unpleasing for men; but if it is cut without going to extremes in that, the purpose will be achieved, which is moderating desire. And Allaah knows best.
        Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/114
        5 – It is permissible to pay money for circumcision.
        Ibn Qudaamah said:
        It is permissible to pay money for circumcision and for medical treatment. We do not know of any difference of opinion on this matter, because it is doing something that is needed and which is allowed in sharee’ah. So it is permissible to pay money for it, like all other permissible actions.
        Al-Mughni, 5/314.
        And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâlimûn


        There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

        The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

        Comment


        • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

          and so on and so forth and so on and on and on and on

          What is the Islamic ruling on female circumcision? Please explain in detail

          It is Mustahabb (commendable) for females to circumcise. It is narrated in
          an authentic Hadith quoted from Abu Dawood Shareef that during the Prophet
          (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam)'s time there was a woman in Madinah who used
          to perform circumcision for women (Fathul Bari vol. 16 p. 353)

          and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

          Mufti Ebrahim Desai
          And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâlimûn


          There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

          The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

          Comment


          • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

            Originally posted by Al-Irhaab View Post
            sister i dont want to be crude.... but if u want to discuss in detail... female circumcision does nothing to reduce the pleasure of a woman.... in fact it greatly increases a womans pleasure due to obvious reasons and makes it more satisfying for her and for her husband for obvious reasons again...

            however what it does do is prevent UNWANTED desire especially in the past due to certain habits of women etc... that is why female circumcision was seen as an honour because it was there to prevent unwanted desire not because it would limit pleasure at all....

            that is what is permitted in inslam and which the ulema have said is an honour or a sunnah or wajib depending on the ulema that you take from...

            what is haram and what is in agreement between all the ulema is to do it to such an extent that it removes pleasure for the woman... that is what is forbidden and must be stopped...

            but unfortunately some people cant understand the difference between circumcision and mutilation
            (i think u misread what i wrote because u just rewrote what i said in the first paragraph of your reply, and were not disagreeing)

            But a womans being circumcised could not do anything for her husband at all it doesnt effect him or his enjoyment in the slightest in anyway shape or form its physically impossible for it to make a difference to the man.

            like i said i was told that it is only done if a woman is born with a defect that makes the sensitive part of her covered over and not acessible, then a little of it should be removed, ie: (and i quote from the hadith) "the roosters comb" above the "something sticking out" "and do not go to extremes in cutting." so that she can have some pleasure, if too much "of the comb" is removed and the "somthing sticking out " is touched, then it is the woman who will suffer and have to divorce her husband if he doesnt have the ability to fufill her desire in the usual way,this is surely why women have a back up piece of equipment built into their bodies, because some men are quite lacking in some regards, remove this back up and theres nothing left for her pleasure.

            certainly i beleive it is something permissible and even beneficial to a woman who suffers like this, i dont have any argument against what the scholars have already said other than having had some further clarificiation on the details of the matter from a scolar and surgeon who carries out this procedure,the scolars are quite right to speak out about the mutilation of women and dispell some of the nonsense and myths which surround this issue, may Allah ta ala bless them guide us all to the haq amin.
            Last edited by *asiya*; 24-11-06, 06:18 PM.
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

            The Prophet :saw: said:

            "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

            muslim

            Narrated 'Abdullah:

            The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


            "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

            By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

            [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

            Comment


            • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

              "...But the purpose of circumcising women is to regulate their desire, because if a woman is not circumcised her desire will be strong. Hence the words “O son of an uncircumcised woman” are used as an insult, because the uncircumcised woman has stronger desire. Hence immoral actions are more common among the women of the Tatars and the Franks, that are not found among the Muslim women. If the circumcision is too severe, the desire is weakened altogether, which is unpleasing for men; but if it is cut without going to extremes in that, the purpose will be achieved, which is moderating desire. ..."


              The above would appear in clear and obvious contradiction with 'Asiya's understanding of the practice.

              The purpose of even halal female circumcision is to prevent a woman from having "strong desire."

              Comment


              • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

                Originally posted by `asiya View Post
                (i think u misread what i wrote because u just rewrote what i said in the first paragraph of your reply, and were not disagreeing)

                But a womans being circumcised could not do anything for her husband at all it doesnt effect him or his enjoyment in the slightest in anyway shape or form its physically impossible for it to make a difference to the man.

                like i said i was told that it is only done if a woman is born with a defect that makes the sensitive part of her covered over and not acessible, then a little of it should be removed, ie: (and i quote from the hadith) "the roosters comb" above the "something sticking out" "and do not go to extremes in cutting." so that she can have some pleasure, if too much "of the comb" is removed and the "somthing sticking out " is touched, then it is the woman who will suffer and have to divorce her husband if he doesnt have the ability to fufill her desire in the usual way,this is surely why women have a back up piece of equipment built into their bodies, because some men are quite lacking in some regards, remove this back up and theres nothing left for her pleasure.

                certainly i beleive it is something permissible and even beneficial to a woman who suffers like this, i dont have any argument against what the scholars have already said other than having had some further clarificiation on the details of the matter from a scolar and surgeon who carries out this procedure,the scolars are quite right to speak out about the mutilation of women and dispell some of the nonsense and myths which surround this issue, may Allah ta ala bless them guide us all to the haq amin.
                sorry my bad i thought u said something else... yes it is a great injustice to cut deep... the reason why i said it affects the man is obviously because hen he will be unable to satisfy his wife causing marrital problems etc.... also it will subdue her desire to such an extent where she will not get pleasure from intimacy aswell...
                And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâlimûn


                There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

                The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

                Comment


                • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

                  sah agreed masha Allah barakallahu feek amin
                  "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

                  The Prophet :saw: said:

                  "Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

                  muslim

                  Narrated 'Abdullah:

                  The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari


                  "Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

                  By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

                  [Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

                  Comment


                  • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

                    @ al irhaab: if its an Islamic thing then why is it only practised in (some places in ) Africa and Egypt…and not the whole Muslim world? also, is the fact that Hajar (as) is connected to Africa and Egypt (and thats where fgm/fc happens) only a coincidence?
                    "Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?"...God said, "I did do something. I made you."" -- Sufi Teaching

                    Comment


                    • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

                      Côte d'Ivoire: Fighting FGM From Mosque and Pulpit

                      Inter Press Service (Johannesburg)
                      6 November 2007
                      Fulgence Zamblé
                      Abidjan

                      In certain parts of Africa, female genital mutilation (FGM) has been linked to religion, with Muslim communities mistakenly believing that the practice is a religious requirement. But in Côte d'Ivoire, religion is also being put at the service of fighting FGM.

                      El Hadj Kassoum Traoré, an imam at a small mosque in Belleville -- one of the poorer areas in the commercial hub of Abidjan -- sets aside time during the Friday prayer for explaining the dangers of FGM to worshippers. The weekly prayer is an obligation for able Muslim men.

                      Since beginning his battle against FGM almost two months ago, Traoré has also called on believers to refrain from having their daughters mutilated, and to condemn those who practice FGM -- sometimes referred to as female circumcision. In addition, he has asked circumcisors to stop carrying out FGM.

                      Each week, Traoré meets elders from the Muslim community of the area to debate circumcision.

                      "The practice of excision isn't authorised anywhere in the Koran or the Bible," he told IPS. "This is a traditional and customary practice But the risks (of FGM) are such that we must think of putting an end to it."

                      Female circumcision can have a range of negative consequences, ranging from pain and sexual dysfunction to death through infection. The practice involves the partial or complete removal of female genitals, or other types of injury to the genitalia. The vaginal opening may also be narrowed through stitching.

                      The reasons for carrying out FGM vary from one community to another. In addition to being seen as a religious requirement, it is viewed as a rite of initiation into adulthood, or necessary for hygiene. Other reasons for circumcision include the belief that it lessens female desire, ensuring chastity ahead of marriage and preventing infidelity thereafter.

                      According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the majority of girls and women who have been circumcised are to be found in 28 African states. "Today, the number of girls and women who have undergone female genital mutilation is estimated at between 100 and 140 million," adds the agency, on its website. "It is estimated that each year, a further 2 million girls are at risk of undergoing FGM."

                      In a more upmarket part of Abidjan -- and this time in a church -- the dangers of FGM are also being addressed.

                      "If someone here has links with the practice, let them stop this now," warns François Miézan, pastor of the Methodist Church of II Plateaux. "If you remove a human organ from someone, you are committing a crime."

                      Miézan also calls on believers to inform police about circumcisors. FGM has been banned in Côte d'Ivoire for a decade. However, tradition and custom ensure that the practice persists, even in the face of campaigns to convince people otherwise; in fact, FGM prevalence has even increased in the West African nation, according to the resident representative of the United Nations Children's Fund, Youssouf Oomar. He says prevalence is currently estimated at 44.5 percent, compared to 40 percent in 1995. Northern and western regions are especially affected.

                      At the fourth international symposium of religious leaders involved in the fight against FGM, held recently in Abidjan, Oomar described the situation of girls and women who are victims of circumcision in Côte d'Ivoire as "worrying".

                      Abdalah Djigui Cissé, another imam -- and president of the Abidjan-based Fondation "Djigui la Grande espérance" (the Great Hope of Djigui Foundation) -- notes that religious leaders have some way to go in their efforts to end FGM. "Some of us have started sensitisation in communities, with satisfactory results," he told IPS. "But, it's still insufficient, and we must continue our efforts." ("Djigui" refers to meetings organised after prayers to explain to Muslim believers that FGM has no basis in Islam.)

                      Such words are welcome to Adja Fatou Diomandé, who attends a large mosque in Aghien-Cocody, another area of Abidjan. "When one knows that the rites have been inherited from the past, it's always difficult to abandon them," she told IPS. "If our religious leaders think that the moment has come to lessen the suffering of women, then God be praised!"

                      The campaign against FGM is being conducted as Côte d'Ivoire struggles with a peace process to put the country back on track after a failed coup five years ago, and the subsequent division of the state into a rebel-held north and government-controlled south.

                      An accord signed in the Burkinabé capital, Ouagadougou, in March has brought moves towards reunification, along with hopes of a presidential election in 2008.

                      However, problems surround disarmament and voter identification to issue papers that will enable citizens who are currently undocumented to cast ballots.

                      Questions about nationality were at the heart of the civil conflict that divided Côte d'Ivoire, which has experienced resentment towards migrants from neighbouring states who were welcome in times of economic prosperity (during the 1960s and 1970s) -- but less so when the economy began to decline in the face of lower commodity prices.

                      In a report to the Security Council last month, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon voiced unease over the lack of progress with the Ivorian peace process.

                      "I am deeply concerned that the failure to adhere to the timelines set out in the agreement has led to a slackening of momentum which, if it continues, would undermine successful implementation," the U.N. head noted.

                      http://allafrica.com/stories/200711060548.html
                      URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

                      Comment


                      • Re: Muslim scholars speak out against female genital mutilation in rare conference

                        Originally posted by abdulhakeem View Post
                        According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the majority of girls and women who have been circumcised are to be found in 28 African states. "Today, the number of girls and women who have undergone female genital mutilation is estimated at between 100 and 140 million," adds the agency, on its website. "It is estimated that each year, a further 2 million girls are at risk of undergoing FGM."
                        All those poor girls. :(

                        That's horrible.
                        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence

                        Comment


                        • female circumcision

                          Is female circumcision (sp?) an Islamic belief or is it a cultural belief? I have a friend who believes it is Islamic and not cultural; I say it is cultural because Prophet Muhammad PBUH never said anything about it.

                          Comment


                          • Re: female circumcision

                            :salams

                            Prophet Muhammad :saw: actually did say something about it.

                            It is Mustahabb (commendable) for females to circumcise. It is narrated in
                            an authentic Hadith quoted from Abu Dawood Shareef that during the Prophet
                            (Sallallaahu ?layhi Wasallam)'s time there was a woman in Madinah who used
                            to perform circumcision for women (Fathul Bari vol. 16 p. 353)

                            and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
                            AskImam

                            It's not obligatory, like it is for boys. It's a Sunnah, though.


                            Praise be to Allaah.

                            Circumcising females is sunnah; it is neither a bad practice or harmful, if it is done within moderation. When extreme forms of female circumcision are carried out, harm may result.
                            IslamQA

                            More on this topic here.
                            Last edited by .mirror.; 04-03-11, 12:10 AM.
                            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

                            "A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                            - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

                            Comment


                            • Re: female circumcision

                              Maliki opinion:
                              It is a strong mandub for Muslim men past puberty not already circumcised to become circumcised.

                              As for females, it is not a stressed sunnah for them to become circumcised. However, it is a fadilah (weaker
                              mandub) to remove the small cap over the clitoris in females (of all ages). [Nothing more than this small cap
                              should be cut.] Please note that cutting this small cap usually does not affect the ability of the female to reach
                              orgasm (and by cutting this cap, the female will be able to get mandub credit in the next world for having
                              performing circumcision).
                              From Guiding Helper. Different schools have different opinions. I don't think anyone says it's wajib though.

                              Ninja'd :(
                              Islamic Prints
                              ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
                              PALEO!

                              Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

                              Comment


                              • Re: female circumcision

                                Originally posted by SammiMe View Post
                                Is female circumcision (sp?) an Islamic belief or is it a cultural belief? I have a friend who believes it is Islamic and not cultural; I say it is cultural because Prophet Muhammad PBUH never said anything about it.
                                Is an islamic one but many cultures perform it wrong. Most of them do the vile act of female genital mutilation which is strictly forbidden. Those vile monsters cut off the actual clitoris which is equivalent of chopping off the head of a penis (probably more painful as it has ten times the nerve endings).

                                The only part which can be trimmed is the hood of the clitoris - but some women have tiny hoods which just about cover the clitoris so its not safe or feasible to do so (hence the recommended but not compulsory).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X